Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a bunch of pics of this little bomb, and wonder if it was ever raced, or did it end up in somebody's collection or a car museum, or what?

Wonder if there was more than one example of this car (pics look like there might have been at least two). Hope it or they were not just sent to the knacker after they were in the shows.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The Solstice SD-290 Concept was shown at SEMA 2007. It pretty much disappeared after SEMA and I haven't been able to find out anything about its current location. My guess is it was shredded/crushed/dismantled sometime after the SEMA appearance.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows anything different would post whatever they know here.

:dunno:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One pic I have seen of this concept car is that it was in the Hot Import Nights Nightshift show on August 23, 2008. I can't believe they would just have scrapped the car.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
OK, now we know it was in Chicago on August 23, 2008.

Next?

. . . and a lot of strange things happen when a manufacturer is being discontinued and plants are being closed.

I seriously would like to know what happened to a bunch of the show cars, but if they weren't considered historically significant by GM brass, they usually ended up being destroyed.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, MI?

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to search the contents of the GM Heritage Center.

They sold off a huge number of cars at the 2009 Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson, but the SD-290 did not show up in a search of B-J sales (BTW B-J has a pretty impressive search capability on their web site, it's FAST!)

I searched Mecum for sold Solstices, but their search doesn't provide as much detail as B-J.

I haven't given up yet, and if I find even a hint of where that car is, I'll post.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Both returned inconclusive results, and I had already tried both by the time you posted.

If you've found better results than me, post them up here!

Following up on the picture, I also searched for GMtunersource.com, and many places would like to sell you that domain name. Dead end!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Notice that the wheels have been changed between 2/24/2008 (this video) and the Picture from 8/23/2008

The wheels shown in the video are the wheels that were on the car at SEMA 2007.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't a website that tracks all concept cars and reports on what happens to them. If GM doesn't have it I'm thinking it was crushed for insurance purposes.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
In the picture, since the semi trailer behind the car mentions GMtunersource.com I went down that track for a while and gmtunersource was a part of GM corporate, pretty much providing tuner info to the Cobalt/Cruze part of the GM performance spectrum.

SO . . . the car may have been still owned by GM at least as far as fall, 2008.

Since the car hasn't shown up on any of the major auction sites, where you would suspect it to show if it was going to be sold, I suspect it is either rotting away in somebody's garage, or it got crushed during the bankruptcy proceedings.

As a practical matter, most of GM's show cars end up either totally dismantled or crushed, for liability insurance purposes. There were a LOT of loose ends during the bankruptcy proceedings, and in an effort to clean up after themselves, a lot of cars just disappearred, usually via in house crusher/shredders.

We'll probably never know what happened to this one.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The last time I saw it in person was here in West Palm Beach on 4/2/2008.
It was part of GMtunersource promoting the new Cobalt SS.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
(BTW B-J has a pretty impressive search capability on their web site, it's FAST!)
You're right, cool search feature. :thumbs:

Event Results - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

I see Mecum has a search function also, but it's not as nice as BJ, sometimes there are no pics, and the selling price isn't shown.
https://www.mecum.com/search.cfm

Gooding & Company has a search feature but it appears no Solstices have ever been offered. Then again Kappa's may not meet their criteria.
Auctions | Gooding & Company

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
The last time I saw it was at the Heritage Center covered up with all the rest of the concept cars there in late 2009. I was there for something else, but they were nice enough to uncover it along with some of the other special Solstice's they had. No pics were allowed though, sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
From all I have read about these "show cars " is that most end up being scrapped and they have no titles .I've seen a few at auction and they are sold with a bill of sale and are not legal to be street driven so my guess is if it's not stored somewhere it went to the big scrapyard in the sky .A few years ago GM released a few of these concept cars to be sold and Mecham had them again they were sold with a bill of sale no title .

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The last time I saw it was at the Heritage Center covered up with all the rest of the concept cars there in late 2009. I was there for something else, but they were nice enough to uncover it along with some of the other special Solstice's they had. No pics were allowed though, sorry.
Neat. Now that Dave has traced it to the Heritage Center, we have it located at a somewhat crucial time in GM's history, right before the bankruptcy.

Thank you, [email protected]

:dthumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
So this means the online Heritage Center list is not complete.
"online Heritage Center list"?

I have not been able to find a complete list of the cars in the GM Heritage Center online.

The cars shown online on the web site for the GM Heritage Center are a very small subset of the entire collection.

If you have a list of cars, give us a link to it, please.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, just got an email from GM Heritage Center. Here is what is said:

Arthur,

We have one SD-290. It is currently in storage and not on display.

Jim Vehko

General Motors Heritage Center

6400 Center Drive

Sterling Heights, MI 48312

(586) 276-0694

Thanks to everybody who contributed to running this concept car down!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts