Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still open minded about my own ideas about what I want the Solstice to be, but at 6'2" there are some obvious "driver fit" concerns. There is also the "how long will I have to wait for the blown or turbo car" question. Not to mention all the other possible issues that may pop up. As I have said before, even if I fit the Kappa architecture I still might go with the Saturn if they modify the body to look like the Vauxhaul. (and it is available with the turbo/SC'ed motor first) At this point it's hard to tell, but I don't think I will wait much more than another year. I am not real sure what I will get, but I am keeping my options open. A 03/04 ZO6 is not out of the question at this point. How about you? What happens if...?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'd probably go a completely different road and build a kit car. I've been kicking that idea around for over a year now. I've been looking into Factory Five kits, even though I despise Fords, you have to respect the aftermarket that's out there for the 79-94 Mustang 5.0L powertrain.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am still open minded about my own ideas about what I want the Solstice to be, but at 6'2" there are some obvious "driver fit" concerns.
Man, talk about a bummer topic! :cryin At 6'-4", this is the only deal breaker I can see. As I have to buy a car next summer, might go with a used Mini S or a new XBox or maybe a turbo'd Neon. But I"ll know I'll have settled for a distant second choice. :rolleyes

Oh yeah, and I'll start saving to buy an '04 or newer Harley-Davidson 1200 Custom Sportster! :thumbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it doesnt meet my expectations i think i will have to go with a Corvette or a Crossfire.

If i bought the corvette I would certainly upgrade the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Tough question. Hard to say what I'd do but I'd probably have to hang in there with it because I'd lose too much on resale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Factory Five

Hey 2kwk4u, If you are looking at Factory Five - Don't build one your self.
You can buy a really nice, completed one, cheaper that doing the build yourself (Just my opinion).. :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
uknowbagu said:
Hey 2kwk4u, If you are looking at Factory Five - Don't build one your self.
You can buy a really nice, completed one, cheaper that doing the build yourself (Just my opinion).. :cheers
Maybe, maybe not. But half the fun is in the building, and taking pride in what you've done.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If it didn’t meet my expectations I will probably remain $20K richer for the time being. I don’t really need a new car, and as it is I wonder what I am really going to do with the Solstice. I have one summer toy already in my Fiero, and I don’t see me being able to use the Solstice as a daily driver in this climate. So it basically would be like adding a third car to the fleet which is getting excessive. I figure it would give me an chance to do a partial restoration to my Fiero and keep some of the wear and tear of it afterwards by limiting excessive driving (such as commuting to work). I still hope it will meet expectations, and I am confident it will. I figure I have 6-9 more months to worry about where it will fit in my garage!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm 6'1" and have size 14 feet. I can squeeze into my Miata, but I'm getting tired of it. If I can't fit into the Solstice, I'll consider Corvette, new Camaro, Boxter, Crossfire, Lotus, and possibly any replacement that BMW comes up with for the Z4. I might even go for a 350Z or S2000, although I'm not crazy about the styling of those two cars.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For me, the Solstice will become THE vehicle of daily transportation; that said the car would have to be a first-class lemon for me to dump it before giving it at least a year.

On a positive note, I'm very confident that Lutz and the folks at Pontiac won't let that happen. I haven't investigated this, but what's been the initial response to and record of the new G6? That might give us a clue as to what to expect with the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
what's been the initial response to and record of the new G6? That might give us a clue as to what to expect with the Solstice.
I think it was luke warm. A couple of reviews said it was a good start but a ways to go to catch the import models they are chasing. I think Solstice will be received better. Was G6 a completely new platform?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Here's an online write-up on the G6 from Consumer Guide:

GM's excitement division took the wraps off a new midsize sedan called the G6. This model will replace the Grand AM and compete with the Honda Accord, Mazda 6, and Toyota Camry. G6 rides the same platform as the new Chevrolet Malibu and Saab 9-3, but its wheelbase is stretched to 112.3 inches. Front styling is unmistakably Pontiac, with a split grille and cat-eye headlamps. Three models will be offered. The base G6 comes with a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine. Stepping up is the GT with a 200-horsepower 3.5-liter V6. Both engines mate to a 4-speed automatic transmission. At the top of the line is the GTP, which gets a 240-horse 3.9-liter V6 and an available 6-speed manual transmission. Unique features include a tilt and telescoping steering wheel, adjustable pedals, and a panoramic folding sunroof. G6 arrives in dealerships this August. Prices were not announced, but Pontiac officials did hint that a coupe and convertible version would be joining the lineup sometime next year.

Doesn't say much about the platform other than it's replacing the Grand Am.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't really need a new car so if the solstice turns out to be uncomfortable or otherwise irritating, I will just stick with my Intrigue. I have a Honda Magna to ride around and feel the wind in my hair when it is warm. But I also own a Jeep Grand Wagoneer to drive through the snow. So the Solstice is an option without being my sole method of transportation.
But I am certianly excited about seeing/driving it. The pics are beautifull and Bob's reputation and GM's Hype have me pretty sold on the car already.

·
Registered
533 Posts
First, I don't think that the Solstice will disappoint.

If it did, my plan B would be to wait and see how VW's 2007 mid-engine roadster turns out. I have issues with all the other roadsters currently on the market in terms of what I am looking for. Plan C would be to look at some roadsters that are no longer produced like the Porsche 968.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took another look at the car show pix. This car is so good looking that I'll find a way to make it meet my expectations! :thumbs

·
Registered
753 Posts
aside from actually driving a solstice , is there any big unknown about this car? maybe build quality, but i think modern development and manufacturing has become so much more reliable in the past few decades that initial build quality is not the issue it used to be.
i don't think anyone interested enough to be looking at this forum would be expecting something that the solstice is not. we have specs, we have links to articles describing test drives in pre-production development 'mules' and educated guesses about everything else.
if the concept of the solstice is not your cup of tea...a good looking, well engineered sportscar without a lot of whistles and bells at a great price.... you wouldn't buy a solstice in the first place. gm would do well to make a sportscar that is as reliable and fun to drive as the miata (which i think is a great car and alot of fun to drive) at a similar price point. everything i have seen is telling me they are doing even better than that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:agree Though I can understand issues tall/bigger people are having with the size of the interior, but overall, if there are no big surprises, we should have a great car to drive. Can't wait. (I can't wait for more info/pictures/test drives/ articles to look at) I'm just itching to sit in a Solstice and actually take it for a drive through the canyons. :smile

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
cdb said:
aside from actually driving a solstice , is there any big unknown about this car? maybe build quality, but i think modern development and manufacturing has become so much more reliable in the past few decades that initial build quality is not the issue it used to be.
i don't think anyone interested enough to be looking at this forum would be expecting something that the solstice is not. we have specs, we have links to articles describing test drives in pre-production development 'mules' and educated guesses about everything else.
if the concept of the solstice is not your cup of tea...a good looking, well engineered sportscar without a lot of whistles and bells at a great price.... you wouldn't buy a solstice in the first place. gm would do well to make a sportscar that is as reliable and fun to drive as the miata (which i think is a great car and alot of fun to drive) at a similar price point. everything i have seen is telling me they are doing even better than that.
I think how the Solstice actually drives is the big unknown. At least that is where I expect to be very pleased or very disappointed. The interior looks fine to me, but I could really care less about how the materials look or fit inside, as long as it isn't Yugo-like fit and finish. Its not a luxury car, and I don't expect it to imitate one. However, I do expect it to be tremendously fun to drive, and if it is not I will be greatly disappointed! Will it feel quick enough to be fun, will it transmit enough road feel through the wheel to get a good handle on what the tires are up to, will the brake feel be good, things like that. I think the specs look great for this car, but its the things you cannot put on a spec sheet that we really need to know!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts