Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions may make some of you crazy, but here goes.

#1 What if the Solstice ends up being held up long enough that a "Performance Sky" is available within several months after the base Solstice is launched? I for one don't see that happening, but...

#2 Because of a launch delay there is a "Performance Solstice" available within several months of the launch of the base model.

#3 Would GM allow either #1 or #2 to happen in the first place?

#4 Will the push back of the Solstice mean that the Sky will be pushed back also to ensure that Pontiac has the lions share of the Kappa market for at least 6 months(or more)?

#5 Can GM afford to wait?

Yeah this should have been a poll, but I am interested in what each of you has to say. Especially those that will be getting the EOP cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I doubt it will be held up long enough for a performance Sky. In fact, the Sky is not set to debut until into next year, and it too won't have a performance model the first model year. So even if the delay of the Solstice got pushed so far back that it and the Sky end up released about the same time, there still won't be a high output version to steal sales. Same for a performance Sol. At best, a turbo/supercharged car probably wouldn't be released until the second half of 2006 as a 2007 model year vehicle. Since there is no official word from GM, it could be later than that too. But most likely not before.

GM may let it happen if it did happen. If they are ready with the HO version, why not bring it to market? Not everyone will want it or would be able to afford it, so I don't see a performance model canabalizing sales. Plus if its just a performance Sky, and a base Sol, both will still sell since styling is a big factor in this category.

I doubt they would push back the Sky just to give the Sol a monopoly on their roadster buyers. If it is ready to go on schedule, they will release it. (In my opinion). Part of the reason is GM cannot afford to wait. They need to turn around the Saturn brand, and the Sky is the car that is going to be the image of that turnaround. They need it in showrooms, and they need to make money off of their new platform. So if it is ready, it will be a go, only getting delayed if there are some issues like on the Solstice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Solstice and the Sky are basically the same core car. The Solstice is just nicer a prettier. The fact that their releasing the Pontiac first means that they're putting them in the forefront. The Solstice may have a slight delay, but not much because GM want's that money flowing in. The Sky will happen on schedule because the majority of the bug's will be worked out with the Solstice. IMO

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Gopher said:
From what I can see, saleable level Sols are in production currently - what I don't know is if the will be classified as "captured fleet" vehicles... kept inside the GM organization. The launch, from what I currently see, emerges the first week in June, but I can't say that there will be a swift acceleration. I wouldn't be surprised to see the EOP cars completed by the July timeframe (or sooner) and rushed to dealers soon after. And I also applaud GM for being absolutley meticulous over the quality of this vehicle. They've experienced nothing but great press on this most rare vehicle, and are hellbent on keeping it that way.
This past week there have been all kinds of reports in the press regarding some fitment issues with the top and front fascia of the Solstice, which will delay delivery until after September 1. GM is quoted in the articles too, so it looks like the real deal. They are in the "Solstice in the news section."

Our dealers have also been confirming the day, informing us that they were instructed to tell EOP customers to expect a fourth quarter delivery in the fall.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Primus said:
are they both being built at the same plant? If so, doesn't it stand to reason that any delays to the solstice will equate to the exact same delays on the Sky?
Not necisarily. Because the Sky has a fiarly different skin then the Solstice any issues there wont necisarily resolve Sky issues. But also on the toher hand since the Solstice comes out at least 6+ months before the Sky any issues solved there will have already been done and dealt with before the Sky every rolls off the assembly line. So depending on what's really going on it could or could not effect the Sky.

On topic: Well for the Solstice to be delayed in order for the Sky to come out (not any type of performance Sky) would require the EOP Solsti to not come off the assembly line until Feb~Mar 2006. If the EOP cars are supposed to start arriving currently before Sept 2005 in limited quantities and enmasse in Sept-Oct the Solstice would have to be delayed another 6 months before production begins at all. As I mentioned above whatever the Solstice issues are they might or might not delay the Sky.

Ok, now to talk about the high performance Sky. The best rumors we've heard is at best it would be a 2007 MY edition that actually arrives the end of 2006, or possibly sometime in 2007. That means the Solstice would have to be delayed ~18 months. If there's something delaying the delivery of the Solstice by 18 months I'm betting 100% it's something extremely major that would stop the Sky from coming out too.

·
Premium Member
10,407 Posts
I do not believe they will stop the Sky from coming out around the end of Jan 2006, early Feb 2006. I agree with Ff88 that Saturn needs the Sky as soon as possible to get people in their showrooms.
I also do not see a FI model until the end of 2006.

·
Registered
40 Posts
EmmoJoJo said:
Personally I would rather buy a car from a Pontiac dealer than from a Saturn dealer.
Can I ask why?

My family has owned several Pontiacs, and 5 or 6 Saturns, my anecdotal experience is that the Saturn experience was better in every way. If Saturn had the same car for the same price, then there is no way I would ever go to any other dealer. They treat you like a person and friend rather than a sale. That goes for the service department experience also. Studies back up my experiences. My Dad is going to wait for the Sky, because it is a Saturn, that’s pretty much the only reason. I know that they have "settled" for a car with less features and amenities in the past, just because it was a Saturn. Personally I want the Solstice because in my opinion, it looks better; I am willing to deal with the poor dealer experience (mostly in the service dept.)...

Back on Topic... ;)

I think that the delays have not changed the schedule much, so we should still see the sky on time, and have high performance engine options as they were scheduled, of course this is total speculation, based on just a little experience/knowledge and a whole lot of guessing. (Also barring no additional delays having to do with these individual options and vehicles.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts