Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Solstice GXP for over 5yrs without any serious issues. Next June my warranty runs out. I'm not mechanically inclined & I just sleep BETTER knowing that I have a warranty on my car. What I'll be looking for is the LOWEST mile LONGEST length warranty that I can get through GM. I figured that I better start squirreling away some money now so that I don't have to deal with the shock of the price when I renew it next year. Any ideas on what would be a fair price to extend it? Thank you in advance! :)

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I think the GM Warranties are only available if your car is within the 3/36 original warranty period.

Your only option is aftermarket and then it's a crap shoot. You'll be looking at a minimum of $2k I think.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the GM Warranties are only available if your car is within the 3/36 original warranty period.

Your only option is aftermarket and then it's a crap shoot. You'll be looking at a minimum of $2k I think.
I'm still okay to extend it through the dealership (GM) because I bought an extended when I purchased the car new and that one didn't expire yet. The warranty that I bought @ purchase date was a 6/60k. I think the only thing that I can't do is keep my $0 deductible. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to have a $100 deduct @ the least.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've had my Solstice GXP for over 5yrs without any serious issues. Next June my warranty runs out. I'm not mechanically inclined & I just sleep BETTER knowing that I have a warranty on my car. What I'll be looking for is the LOWEST mile LONGEST length warranty that I can get through GM. I figured that I better start squirreling away some money now so that I don't have to deal with the shock of the price when I renew it next year. Any ideas on what would be a fair price to extend it? Thank you in advance! :)
From a friend that is a GM dealership auto trans mechanic...

If it is still available to you, get the official GM extended warranty. In his long experience, most third party extended warranties are suspect at best and worthless at the worst. He has seen many grown men cry over the coverage they thought they had.

His view, not mine...so don't blame the messenger. :devil:

P.S.
I vaguely recall that the GM extended warranties are somewhat negotiable, so if you qualify, don't hesitate to call a few dealers for the best price.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Radio Doc. I did call around & found out that extending the warranty through GM would cost about $1,200. I believe they said it would be another 3/36. I was also told that I cannot extend it @ this time, but would have to wait until April/May when my warranty was closer to expiration. I too was suckered into a 3rd party warranty company back in 2002. I bought an extended warranty for a Dodge Durango from a company called Warranty Gold & they ended up going bankrupt.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have had one GM ( 1980's )and one Ford ( 1970's ) extended warranty and found neither to worth the paper they were written on. Now with that out of the way. If you have a problem that the warranty does cover it may be worth having. My thought is take what ever they want for the warranty and bank it, use it when needed. I think on the average in the long run you would be better off. If you drive like a mad man and beat the dirt out of the car. Then go for it and hope they can't prove abuse and refuse to cover it.
I have not bought another car from that GM Dealership and the Ford Dealership went out of business.

·
Registered
763 Posts
What is a Fair Price for an Extended Warranty?
According to F&I Magazine, a publication for auto dealers, a typical extended warranty costs an average of $1,790 and $795 of that is profit for the dealer. 42% of purchasers never use their extended warranties, not because they don't need repairs, but rather because their needed repairs are not covered. You can decide what you think is a fair price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been under pretty much the same dilemna myself. The cheapest quote I got was just under 2.5K for me so far, that was for about 4 more years coverage and up to 80K miles. My car is really low mileage as its basically a weekend vehicle, not my daily driver so I doubt I'd hit the mileage limit but 4 more years of coverage would be nice. The thing is wear and tear is really what tends to cause problems and I figure since I don't use the car regularly even if I do have an issue within the next 4-5 years or so what are the odds of it being something so bad that it'll cost me over 2.5K plus a deductible to repair?

So far I think its easier to save up a little money in case something happens then to pay the extended warranty price. I'm still looking around though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess I'm lucky... Bought a 3rd party extended (6 yr,100K) when I bought the car. It cost $1300, but has a high deductible ($300). I did have to use it one time, and it paid off like a slot machine. My 5 yr factory drive train warranty expires next month....
Hubert

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I'm actually glad the OP brought this up now. I'm just approaching my 3yr anniversary ina couple of days, except I had been thinking it was September... Doh!

So just started the paperwork with Blacks. GMPP will be $660 foran extra 6yrs/40k miles, 0 deductable. Thanks.for the memory jog, guys!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually glad the OP brought this up now. I'm just approaching my 3yr anniversary ina couple of days, except I had been thinking it was September... Doh!

So just started the paperwork with Blacks. GMPP will be $660 foran extra 6yrs/40k miles, 0 deductable. Thanks.for the memory jog, guys!
Wow! 6/40 for $600! That sounds like an amazing deal!!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Wow! 6/40 for $600! That sounds like an amazing deal!!
Well, it was $660, but turns out it was too good to be true (for me, anyway).

The pricing lists apparently go on the model year - not the in-service date like the original warranty does. So my car (a showroom floor queen) is a 2008MY, but bought as new in 2009. That extra -1 MY more than DOUBLES the price and for a shorter warranty. Just got off the phone with them where they quoted me 4yr/32000mi at $1430 and deductible of $50 (which is smallest available).

That tips me back to millers statement where I think I'll just save the money and pay for any repairs.

UPDATE: they emailed me another quote for 3yr/24000mi/$50ded -for- $1160. Still, only a year more than the 5/100 and still too costly. Sticking with 'self-insured'.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've got 30 years experience on the dealership side of the warranty thing. The ONLY warranty to buy is General Motors Protection Plan- Major Guard. Get this- I work on my own cars and can get work done for free or cheap and I still buy Major Guard on EVERY new GM car I buy. When we work on cars with Major Guard coverage, we fix them with whatever parts or labor it takes to do it right. Any other policy and you have to fight with the adjuster to get them to cover anything, and then they want to use cheap or used parts.

Major Guard or do like Miller said and just self insure. BTW, I said I'd buy a warranty on the new cars I buy, but I NEVER buy a warranty for ANYTHING else. Meaning I never buy the coverage on TV's, computers, etc. Those are ALL total scams and the only way places like Best Buy make any money. They sell the hardware at cost, then cash in on the warranty's they sell.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
go to gmoutlet.com That's Black's Cadillac and they have hard to beat prices on the GMPP.
:agree:

searching the forum reveals that a lot of people have been very happy with Black's...

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
One factor is where you will be taking your car for the repair. If you are planning on going to a GM dealership, having a 3rd party warranty means in almost all cases that you will pay for the repair then negotiate with your warranty provider after the fact. In my experience, the dealer service manager will look up your warranty in their system and unless its in there as a direct charge you will be asked to pay for the work personally.

Buying a warrenty is basically buying insurance. It is medical insurance for your car. If you think of it that way, you will be better off.

You can buy all kinds of medical insurance from a lot of different companies. Some are good, some are crap. Do your homework and choose the one you like with the features you want at the best price.

Personally I am self insured. Even a GM warranty could turn out to be worthless in 3 years when you really need it. Having the money in the bank is less likely to be a problem.:thumbs:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just a couple of things to remember:

1.) Legally, it is not an extended warranty. Warranties give consumers specific rights. It is a service contract.

2.) GM sold GMAC years ago. GM and the selling dealer both receive payment for endorsing, promoting, and selling GMPP which is insured by Motors Insurance Corporation of Southfield, Michigan, a member of the Ally Insurance Group.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts