Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Incline? Maybe for traveling up hills or it could be a 1st gear you are mistaking the "I" for. Some autos have a 1st ,2nd, and then "D" for Drive. These gears are used for climbing, such as when driving on steep hills or can be used for towing. Most people never use them. I read that some years of the autos actually have an "O" for Overdrive. It may be only on the GXP auto. Not sure. Maybe for the sport package only too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
From the Owners Manual:
Intermediate (I): This position is also used for normal driving. However , it reduces the vehicle's speed without using your brakes, for slight downgrades where the vehicle would otherwise accelerate due to steepness of grade, If constant up shifting or downshifting occurs while driving on steep hills, this position can be used to prevent repetitive types of shifts. You might chose Intermediate (I) instead of Drive(D) when driving on hilly and winding roads.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I know the "I" setting in our Cobalt kicks butt big time:

It increases line pressure in the transmission for harder/snappy shift points. And it engages "engine braking". And with the Cobalt (4 speed auto-4th is overdrive) it will hold 3rd gear instead of shifting into overdrive, the little guy will hit 130 in 3rd. :lol:

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I was going to make a sarcastic comment about the definition of I referring to choosing an auto in a sports roadster but pulled myself back from the brink
Ya know, Rob, you can say a lot by not saying anything.

Well played my good man!

;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts