Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been googling trying to find the technical name with no results...

The humps in the trunk behind the seats... what are they called?

The design has been applied to roadsters and race cars since the mid 1900's. It must have a name?

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
I've been googling trying to find the technical name with no results...

The humps in the trunk behind the seats... what are they called?

The design has been applied to roadsters and race cars since the mid 1900's. It must have a name?
They are called "The humps behind the seats", but technically they are "fairings" and @joybill44 said.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
Nacelle : the Mayan humps behind the seats. pronounced
na·celle: a streamlined housing or tank for something on the outside of an aircraft or motor vehicle.
/nəˈsel/
There is nothing in it, so it isn't a housing.
I'm going to stick with @joybill44 's "fairing".
From merriam-Webster:
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
Nacelle that is what GM is calling the same humps on their new
Corvette Stingray 2020.Convertble-Exterior-6.jpg
Corvette Stingray 2020.Convertble-Exterior-7.jpg
C8 hard top convertible, but ours have always been referred as humps.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I was worried this thread was going in a very different direction.
The Solstice has curvaceous lines that remind many of the feminine form so the humps are referred to by many as breasts or "boobs" as it were.

Is that what you meant chickenwire? :p

Reactions: BWildAussie

·
Registered
586 Posts
2 humps are nicer than 1.just be careful not to dent your humps while your...fondling with them or putting down her bonnett.

·
Super Moderator
16,274 Posts
Early aircraft were not very aerodynamic, nor were they easy to land. The Fokker triplane frequently ended its landing roll by slowly falling on its nose, then over on its back.

When mono planes made their appearance, pilots insisted on landing on their heads frequently. As a result designers added roll over protection in the form of a head rest that was structurally strong enough to allow the pilots to survive being upside down. These roll over protection devices were faired into the fuselage because before the days of wind tunnels and aero math it looked good.

The public saw these early aircraft as high performance and fast. The look of the faired head protection was copied by auto designers because they looked FAST. In the days before seatbelts they were more cosmetic than functional. Generally a high speed crash saw the driver thrown out of the vehicle and crushed by his ride.

If you look closely at the fairing in the p26 picture you will notice it angles to the rear and is not designed to create streamlining of the cockpit or the pilots head. The windshield creates a bubble of low pressure air in the cockpit and throws the airstream over his head. Its for roll over protection.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts