Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the 'humps' are called nacelles.

Solstice Review

"Among the Solstice’s most notable styling features is the reverse-hinged forward-opening “clamshell” hood, matched by a similar setup for the trunklid at the rear. Sporting a hunkered-down look, the Solstice has Pontiac’s characteristic dual-port grille. The rear clamshell hides the lowered top, preserving the car’s clean appearance. Nacelles that sweep behind each seat are shaped to match the head restraints."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been googling trying to find the technical name with no results...

The humps in the trunk behind the seats... what are they called?

The design has been applied to roadsters and race cars since the mid 1900's. It must have a name?
As I understand, the newest corvette has them and calls them Nacelles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm the original poster and wow!! I can't believe all the feedback here! that's amazing! thanks folks.

And, ha ha! all I had to do was go back to the source.

I am going to test drive a used Sky tomorrow so pulled up the 20 page GM "getting to know your Sky" brochure, and confirmed the same with the "getting to know your Solstice"

GM called them "buttresses".

And, the instructions say to push down on the buttresses to close the trunk, which we all know not to do because that can dent them.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Aren't you misredaing that ? For me the buttresses are the triangle shaped parts of the convertible top. The GM paperwork (GetToKnow and UserManual) seems to confirm that.

Also note the attached MY2007 screen shots. I did not check the other years but assume they are similar.

Good luck on the test drive. Are you considering buying this Sky ?

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
they alwasy had issues with the nacels on startreck voyger and enterprize....offline,falling off,burning up,klingons etc.I better keep a closer eye on mine... Mine have nice little plastic push supports on the trunk lid to close it with... thinken about it eye wood of thought that nacels wood of been on the nose of the car.....like...the air intakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Aren't you misredaing that ? For me the buttresses are the triangle shaped parts of the convertible top. The GM paperwork (GetToKnow and UserManual) seems to confirm that.

Also note the attached MY2007 screen shots. I did not check the other years but assume they are similar.

Good luck on the test drive. Are you considering buying this Sky ?
You are absolutely right!! I re-read, and misread the instructions (musta been a beer after late night at work)

the GM instructions call the roof parts the buttresses and they press into the trunk.

So... common reference is humps. I like fairings. On the new corvettes they are Nacelles.

(and yes folks, I guess this is where I leave you cuz I bought the Sky)

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
You are absolutely right!! I re-read, and misread the instructions (musta been a beer after late night at work)

the GM instructions call the roof parts the buttresses and they press into the trunk.

So... common reference is humps. I like fairings. On the new corvettes they are Nacelles.

(and yes folks, I guess this is where I leave you cuz I bought the Sky)
Don't leave!! It's the same car with a little more glitz!

·
Super Moderator
7,156 Posts
.......(and yes folks, I guess this is where I leave you cuz I bought the Sky)
First I will say that you made the right choice, as the Sky is clearly the superior version.
Second, @joybill44 is absolutely correct. You should join the Sky forum, but stay with this one also.

There is a wealth of information on both forums, and there are things you will learn on one that may not show up on the other.
I think that most of us belong to both forums, and i still wish that they could be merged somehow.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts