Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blue coupe ( NA with DDMworks supercharger ) has developed an annoying sound that comes and goes.
Since it does come and go, I have to believe that it is a sign of trouble brewing.

It is coming from the engine.
The sound will NOT appear when the engine is cold.
After 5 minutes of driving the sound becomes noticeable.

The sound does NOT appear when accelerating.
The sound seems to come at around 2k rpm, and 50mph.
The sound will come while driving level ground, and while climbing a hill.

The sound seems like a rattle to me, but what do I know...
A ball bearing maybe ?

My other 2 cars do not have this sound.

Can any of you determine what this sound is, or what trouble the sound might indicate ?

I have attached links to 2 mp3 sound files: one of the normal sound of the car, the other of the troubling sound.
The car has a magnaflow muffler.

normal sound

not normal sound

·
Premium Member
10,306 Posts
I would recommend to have DDM listen to it, the sound to me seems like a hesitation or miss firing.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does a waterpump make any sounds before they die ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Otherwise how is it driving? I had a horrible sound once and it ended up being an exhaust hanger. When you mention "Rattle" !
Good Luck.

Bert

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Waterpump failure is generally a seal, not a bearing, so it usually isn't making any noises.

What location in the engine bay or the car was the recording made?

·
Super Moderator
6,048 Posts
Is the sound file accurate to what you are hearing in person? I don't hear enough metallic sound to classify it as a rattle.

Are there any other symptoms, like loss of power, hesitation, or etc? A misfire would be felt as well as heard.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waterpump failure is generally a seal, not a bearing, so it usually isn't making any noises.

What location in the engine bay or the car was the recording made?
The recording was taken from the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the sound file accurate to what you are hearing in person? I don't hear enough metallic sound to classify it as a rattle.

Are there any other symptoms, like loss of power, hesitation, or etc? A misfire would be felt as well as heard.
yes, the sound file is accurate.
( one file is a normal sound, the other file is the not-normal sound )

The car drives fine in all cases. No codes - no loss of power

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
during the supercharger install, the power steering reservoir is relocated to just above the battery. That was loose, so I tightened it. No joy, still have the sound.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is a bundle of wires just above the battery. I thought maybe this was hitting the power steering reservoir, so I tightened that up. Still got the sound...

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think a key clue is that the sound does not occur until the car has been driven for about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Exhaust hanger or heat shield are definite possibilities. My catalytic converter had the inner "ring" loose in it and would rattle especially when the rpm's would drop between early shifts. As it heated up, the ring expanded and no longer rattled until it cool down again.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exhaust hanger or heat shield are definite possibilities. My catalytic converter had the inner "ring" loose in it and would rattle especially when the rpm's would drop between early shifts. As it heated up, the ring expanded and no longer rattled until it cool down again.
my car is the opposite: quiet when cold, random noise when hot

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many miles? Could it be the Cat failing? I have read about them coming apart inside the can and making a rattling noise.
45k miles
The cat was replaced on this car in May, 2019.
( cat died )
When it died, I lost power, and the sound of the car became different, but not like this...

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the car to the mechanic to get the car on the lift.
( We drove the car first so that the sound could be heard. )
Nothing unusual found under the car.
The guy opened the hood and poked around and discovered a bolt missing on a shield.

The tech said he has seen this a lot on other cars. The bolt head comes off after a while.
SO, I got an appointment after Thanksgiving to get a spot weld on this. Hopefully that will
take care of the sound/noise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts