Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I took the car to the mechanic to get the car on the lift.
( We drove the car first so that the sound could be heard. )
Nothing unusual found under the car.
The guy opened the hood and poked around and discovered a bolt missing on a shield.

View attachment 106285

The tech said he has seen this a lot on other cars. The bolt head comes off after a while.
SO, I got an appointment after Thanksgiving to get a spot weld on this. Hopefully that will
take care of the sound/noise.
If I remember right, that shield is not metal but some sort of heat resistant material and if so, can't be welded. Is the bolt head itself missing or the whole bolt? If the whole bolt is missing, A quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot will solve that problem. If someone before you tried to remove the heat shield, they could have wrung the head off the bolt. Bolts in exhaust manifold heat shields in all sorts of cars are notorious for sticking in the manifold and heads wringing off due to all the heat involved. If there is enough of the bolt protruding, you may get it out with vise grips. If not, you may have to drill the bolt and use an easy out to remove it. as a temporary fix, just cut a small piece of hi temp insulation wrap and stuff it in the heat shield hole. that will stop the rattle until you can get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If I remember right, that shield is not metal but some sort of heat resistant material and if so, can't be welded. Is the bolt head itself missing or the whole bolt? ...
What you see in the photo is what I have. No bolt head - threads believed to be still in place. Tapping on that silver thing sure gives off a sound like metal.

The tech said a weld would be easy to do. Anything else would required that parts of the supercharger 'piping' be un-installed to gain access to the whole area, which translates into labor hours...

I will ask the tech to double check that the thing is metal.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
FINALLY ! - I have silence!

I had two issues. The shield shown in the previous photo AND there was a heat shield near the exhaust that was also rattling at 1k RPM.

I am glad to have this sound issue resolved. 🚗

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats on the not too expensive fix. The heat shields don't last forever. After patching and modifying the shields because of rattles on my GXP, I finally removed them all. The NA had it's heat shield removed before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Just out of curiosity, How did they repair the heat shield over the exhaust manifold. Were they able to spot weld it where the bolt had broken or did they have to remove the turbo to get at the broken bolt?

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just out of curiosity, How did they repair the heat shield over the exhaust manifold. Were they able to spot weld it where the bolt had broken or did they have to remove the turbo to get at the broken bolt?
spot weld...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts