Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just looking at the photos from the dc auto show and I noticed something on the solstice. I am not sure if this has been discused earlier, but I have no idea what it is. Could it possibly be the antenna? and if so wouldn't that interfere with the top?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know i am being nitpicky, but couldn't they have done a better job with the antenna? with such a beautiful car why tack on a cluncky looking antenna, also that antenna seems awfully close to the top.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am a little surprised that it isn’t located in the windshield like many other GM vehicles these days. However, I think that is one of the only spots they could have really put it. Most of the other vertical surfaces on the car are part of the hood or trunk lid.

I wonder if it really is a power antenna, or if its just the base where you would screw an antenna mast onto. In all truth, I think I’d prefer a permanent mast antenna. I have had cars with power in the past, and the darned things never work right for very long.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
AM/FM Head Units should be optional. I never listen to the radio anyway.
I have a friend who worked at a Chevy dealership for a while, who had a great story about radios!

He had a customer come in, an older retired woman, who was interested in buying a Cavalier. So he took her out and found one she liked, and took it for a drive. They got back and began to work out a deal.

She said she was happy with the car and wanted one, but not the one they had drive. It wasn’t equipped right. So he asked her what she wanted on it, and her response was “no radio.”

He explained that the radio came standard on the car, and there weren’t any without a radio. She insisted she would not buy the car with the radio. So he offered to have it removed, but warned her that it was part of the base price of the car, and that they could not offer her any credit for taking it out. She didn’t care, just so long as the radio was not in the car!

How strange is that? She bought the car, paid for the radio, but made the dealer remove it first! If she didn’t listen to it, I don’t see why she just didn’t leave it turned off!

Then my friend reminded me, “the customer is always right!” :glol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Last car I bought I got without a radio. Came with a plastic panel to plug the hole, and I got a credit for the radio. However I'm not doing that anymore. Factory radios don't get stolen much and last longer, and these days sound almost as good. I'm so sick of removing the stupid face plate everytime I park. Factory for me. I'm hoping for a multi-disc changer option.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree with both of you. I've had good luck by upgrading the speakers and adding an amp under the seat, but keeping the factory head (dash) unit. All looks stock and nobody wants to rip it off. Although not nearly as good as a whole new system, it sounds a lot better than an empty hole where the radio used to be!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'll be keeping the stock head unit! I do think you can get better sound out of the aftermarket, but for security reasons I just don't find it worth it anymore. I have had a few cars with aftermarket decks that were very nice, but it is so much nicer not to have to worry about removing the face.

I have stuck with the stock unit in my Jeep (first car I have stuck with the stock radio) and am satisfied. The tuner doesn't pull stations in as well, and the sound quality isn't as good (although the speakers play a big role here too). Despite that, it provides plenty of sound for my listening needs, even with the top down on the highway where a Jeep is LOUD!

I think an aftermarket deck in a roadster may be asking for a slashed top toO! I'd like to avoid that!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Not to mention all the new head units are so awfull looking. With all the flashing neon lights and animation they look like you have a performing circus in the dashboard! :banghead I like the look of the stock unit much much better.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hey Audio Imagez,

What kind of radio did you yank out of your GP?

I know mine sucks next to your Eclipse, but I love the factory radio in my Azz with the 10 Pioneer speaker option. It thumps real nice. I'm hoping for something as good in the Solstice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the 8 speaker Bose system (5 1/4 comps up front, 4's and 6x9's in the rear). Right now, I do not have the HCCA speakers in my car while I repair them. I currently have just the stock Bose Speakers up front and they actually sound nice running off of the Eclipse HU.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts