Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The wheels on the Sol we know are 5x110 with a 55mm offset, what is offset and how/where is it measured?

I'm curious because there are several 5x110 wheels available locally here in the UK that are that size, but the offset is typically 35 or 45.

I'm looking for a very light set of 17"s for the ocassional track day at Snetterton.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/trackdays/trackdays.asp?circuit=sn&type=Car

I'm not a racer, don't like the traffic, but do like to feel the limits once in a while. Plus the track is less than 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Frosty said:
The wheels on the Sol we know are 5x110 with a 55mm offset, what is offset and how/where is it measured?

I'm curious because there are several 5x110 wheels available locally here in the UK that are that size, but the offset is typically 35 or 45.

I'm looking for a very light set of 17"s for the ocassional track day at Snetterton.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snetterton/trackdays/trackdays.asp?circuit=sn&type=Car

I'm not a racer, don't like the traffic, but do like to feel the limits once in a while. Plus the track is less than 45 minutes away.
We will be doing wheel fitments on our Solstice on Tuesday of this next week. We have several off sets and sizes coming to see what the absolute maximum will be, and what would fit for the everyday driver.

Racecrafter
RK Sport Inc.
www.rksport.com

·
Registered
527 Posts
Offset is the measurement (usually in millimeters) from the centerline of the wheel to the hub mounting face of the wheel.

A larger offset means more distance from the centerline of the wheel to the hub mounting face of the wheel - resulting in the wheel being more inset or closer to the center of the car.

A smaller offset (or even negative) means less distance (or "negative" distance) between the centerline of the wheel to the hub mounting face of the wheel - resulting in the wheel being less inset or farther away from the center of the car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, more offset puts the wheel in.
Less offset puts the wheel out.

But you always have to consider wheel width, because if that changes then you have to actually do some math to figure out if the outside face moves in or out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts