Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search of the forums before I posted this, I could not find anything.

Everyone knows who Nessa is, it's on every post I make.

I just wanted to start the thread to see what kind of names you guys have. Which leads me to a question.

Gizmo, if I am correct, you named your car using Spanish. If this is the case, then shouldn't the correct spelling be MarySol? Mar (Sea) and Sol (Sun) I get, but y is the proper spelling of "and" in Spanish.

Just thought I'd give you a hard time

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
jerzkid said:
I did a search of the forums before I posted this, I could not find anything.

Everyone knows who Nessa is, it's on every post I make.

I just wanted to start the thread to see what kind of names you guys have. Which leads me to a question.

Gizmo, if I am correct, you named your car using Spanish. If this is the case, then shouldn't the correct spelling be MarySol? Mar (Sea) and Sol (Sun) I get, but y is the proper spelling of "and" in Spanish.

Just thought I'd give you a hard time
I believe it's MariSol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Editguy said:
I believe it's MariSol.
I know that, I was questioning the use of the "i" instead of the Spanish word "y"

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ralph_on_me said:
I wont name my car until I've driven her for awhile and she's "told" me her name.

Do you name a child after you've had it a while, and they told you their name? No! If you did we'd all be named very odd. Vanessa was always going to be the name of my dream car. Now that she's a reality (on paper at least) I shortened it to Nessa. It's a careful thinking process.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
I like that, Ralph. Very equitable to the ladies!

jerzkid: You make a good point. Y IS the Spanish word for "and."

However, there are many instances when Y changes to I to connect two words, and this is one of them.

Another example would be veinteiuno, which literally means twenty and one.

Also, it is actually a girl's name, and it is spelled Marisol. I had a girlfriend from Chile named Maria Soledad Jorquera. We called her Marisol, for obvious reasons. I have always loved that name (AND the girl was gorgeous), about as much as Annabel Lee (E.A. Poe).

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Now you've got me on the subject of Spanish.

Anyone know the name of the international membership organization which requires a genius IQ to become a member?

Yes, they call themselves Mensa.

In Colombia, mensa has a very different meaning. It translates as moron! :)

Anyone know the Spanish word for wife?
Answer- esposa

Anyone know the Spanish word for wives?
Answer- esposas

OK, anyone know the Spanish word for handcuffs?
Answer- esposas

Pretty appropriate, eh? :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see where you are coming from. However, there are different dialects of Spanish. Apparently the one I learned is different. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
201 Posts
jerzkid said:
Do you name a child after you've had it a while, and they told you their name? No! If you did we'd all be named very odd. Vanessa was always going to be the name of my dream car. Now that she's a reality (on paper at least) I shortened it to Nessa. It's a careful thinking process.
If I ever breed I do plan on waiting to name them. I'm quirky but I want their name to match their personality. Of course, in naming a child there are two people involved, so I'd actually have to be "allowed" to do that. With as much as I plan on driving her (my Sol), I should know her name within a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like the idea of waiting... good thing if you're gonna get a solstice :willy:

I believe with leaky trunks, loose top latches and clunky trannys the Solstice has gotta be femanine. But don't forget she's so beautiful, wonderful curves, and aluring voice....... but you gotta give her a little TLC for her to treat your right. If you do... JOY of JOYs and years of excitement!

I'm thinkin' "Blesmy" As in Bless my SOL.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My wife and I named ours 'Summer' for obvious reasons :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have never named a car for fear it wouldn't like the name and would make my life miserable. :lol: I have owned a few cars that obviously THOUGHT I had named them because they got the last word.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will wait until I get to know my cars personality. As far as waiting I can say we don't name babies right away we have 9 months to think about it. I have been thinking about Sally Solstice or Solstice Sally but just don't know. Nothing to do with Mustang Sally just liked the ring to it.

I thought I could name it Sly because my license plate is 1 Sly Sol. I picked that because of its double meaning. Most people think I mean 1 Sly Soul and then I explain the car's color is Sly and the car is a Solstice and it means 1 Sly Solstice. Anyway as far as naming it Sly I just don't think that is much of a girls name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts