Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, im new to the forums.. ive been reading posts for a few weeks now, i just wanted to know if you guys had any idea what kind of automatic tranny will be used in the solstice, and how long after the debut will it come out. I would love to get a manual but A.i need to be taught. B i live in nj and well its just hell sometimes in rush hour, Iam 100% sure the solstice will be my next car, i just dont want to wait a year or two for a auto, if i have to ill suck it up and get stick.

please feel free to persuade me into learning stick and buying it stick.

·
Registered
172 Posts
well, if they do ever put an auto in the Solstice I just hope they wait until the 6 spd with tap shift is available. I wouldn't even object to that... okay maybe I would object a little. :smile

·
Registered
172 Posts
snowbred said:
please feel free to persuade me into learning stick and buying it stick.
A stick is a lot more "fun" to drive because it is a more involving experience. And it really isn't that hard to learn, you just can't let yourself be intimidated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there somewhere i can go to learn to drive it really well.. i do not have manual car available for use.. and yeah i do agree it would be more fun, i swore i would never buy another auto again.. i just want to learn it the right way so i dont look like a fool with a brand new car stalling all the time haha

·
Registered
172 Posts
do you have any friends or family that own a standard that are willing to donate an afternoon to you? just get them to drive you and the car to an empty parking lot. it keeps the intimadation factor down when you don't have to worry about traffic and learn how to drive a stick at the same time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's a good chance that if you let a dealer know your very interested in buying a Solstice and that you'd like to avoid the Solstice being your guinea pig as you begin learning stick, I'm sure they will let you have a used Sunfire to test drive for a bit and get used to it. That is what I plan on at least!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
if a car like the solstice excites you... even a little bit.... then do not consider this car with an auto transmission. seriously, in one week you will be shifting gears through traffic. if you live in san francisco,you will learn to set your parking break at stop signs and pull away with the break on in 1st gear( a useful trick on any hill when someone is on your butt), and heel/toe on the brake/gas when downshifting may be a future lesson when you have more confidence, but one week is all it will take to be comfortable enough to drive a standard in traffic, and if you enjoy the experience of driving, there is no subsitute.
i share my bmw with my wife, and i got the auto with a 'tiptronic' mode, and i must admit the 'sport' mode does a fair job of gear selection, but it is not a manual and the experience is not the same. it would be great to rent a car with a manual transmission for a week, because you could make mistakes on a car that was not yours, but i don't think that is available. still, you are not going to wreck your clutch with one week of bad driving. do a search on this website- you will get some practical advice on learning how to operate a clutch and manual trans.
if you want to explore driver training check out the SCAA website or the Pocono raceway site (commuting distance from hakensak)... but that is really the next level of driving.
find a friend or relative with a manual and one full afternoon in a parking lot and you willl have enough to go out on the street- and remember always, driving is fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot cdb, your 100% right an auto will ruin the fun. I will try to find someone that will let me use theyr manual car, or i might go and rent one for a few days and learn that way.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Down here in Texas, to get a drivers license at 16, you have to take a driver's training course. But they're not offered at the schools, like when I was a kid. So there are several professional driver schools. The larger ones have a few manual transmission cars just for the purpose you need. Of course, a friend's car is free. Added this from a few months back:

Taught both my son, daughter and a couple of neighbor kids to drive a manual in less than a half hour each. Best method:
Borrow a small car. Trucks have so much torque that it's so easy to shift that it doesn't really teach well.

1. On a flat parking lot, where you won't get embarassed, with your foot on the clutch, put the car in first. Without touching the gas pedal, slowly let out the clutch. The car will jump forward and die the first few times you try. Laugh about it. This is to be expected. But it teaches you the "sweet spot" in the clutch pedal travel and how to let it slip. Do this several times. Remember that as you slow down, push the clutch back in or the engine will die. But leave you foot off the gas pedal.

2. After you can get the car rolling, with regularity, do the same thing, but this time, put you foot on the gas pedal and give it a little gas when your in that clutch pedal "sweet spot". Try to keep the engine from slowing down too much or speeding up too much. You'll learn, as you listen to the engine, that the faster you push on the gas, the faster your other foot travels through that "sweet spot". Do this several times, from 0 to 15MPH and back to 0.

3. Getting the car rolling is, by far the hardest part. But once you've got that down, up shifting is easy. The car will let you know when to go to the next higher gear. Normally, shift to the next high gear around 3 or 4,000 RPM or when then engine sounds like it wants to be shifted.

4. A general rule for down shifting is: Glance at the speedometer. Use first when cruising 0-10MPH, second when going 10-20MPH, third when going 30-40MPH, forth when going 40-50MPH, etc.

Remember, Your grandmother drove a standard transmission, and your a better driver than her! And she wasn't cruising around in such a cool car as a Solstice

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
snowbred said:
is there somewhere i can go to learn to drive it really well.. i do not have manual car available for use.. and yeah i do agree it would be more fun, i swore i would never buy another auto again.. i just want to learn it the right way so i dont look like a fool with a brand new car stalling all the time haha
Also search on "manual trans" on this site. We had a bunch of active topics around that a while back including many tips on how to drive a stick + a web link on same topic.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
To answer the question, we don’t know and we don’t know.

GM says an auto will be offered, but has not made any indication when, or what manual it will be. Just stay tuned for that info.

It won’t take long to pick up on how to drive a manual. Find a friend, a rental car place, or get a dealer to take you out in a stick shift car. They will be more than happy to give a crash course on it if they think there is a sale in their future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a buddy of mine from work is going to let me drive his honda and learn on it for about a week. Then before i buy the car i will ask the dealership to let me use a sunfire or some other cheap car to practice for a bit before i take the car home. Thanks alot guys, youve been a great help.. i want wait till this baby is out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Snowbred, a Solstice with a automatic would be like taking a shower with an umbrella. I learned the stick in the military (almost killed the cook in the process). Fire trucks I drove didn't have any autos. It's a shame more people can't drive stick. I owned a Z28 back in the 80's and when it came time to sell it I had a impossible time selling it. Seems there are too many people out there that rather not have to slam through the gears. They don't know what they are missing. :[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts