Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grade of gas do you have to put in this car? do you have to use premeium or can you use low grade octaine? anyone?

·
Registered
479 Posts
LTDANMAN44 said:
What grade of gas do you have to put in this car? do you have to use premeium or can you use low grade octaine? anyone?
I am using premium, 93 octane. My dealer put 81 octane in it and said there would not be any problems burning regular. But I think I have a little more pep, and my mpg seems better with 93 octane. I am avg. about 25 mpg.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You loose power with 87 octain, for better power use 91(usually can't find it, only Citgo we won't use citgo) or 93, We put in 93 both times we filled it. And don't laugh guy's, we had out car for 5 weeks and have less then 400 miles on it. We took it for one long drive and my husband takes it to work every day about 5 miles round trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your best gasoline's are going to be from a major retailer such as Chevron or Shell......these are 2 of the best gasoline's on the market. I only run Chevron
93 supreme in my S2000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Premium Fuel Recommended

LTDANMAN44 said:
The manual recommends to use Premium fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I only run 93 octane in my car. It seems to run so well with the 93 that I have never tried a lower grade. My Miata needed 91 for power but didn't perform any better with 93 except in the winter.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
05 GTO - 93 Octane
04 yukon Denali - 93 Octane
95 Grand prix - 87 Octane
67 Chevelle - 102 Octane (at 6.00 a gallon and 6 mpg) WHOO HOO!!!!

I will be putting 93 in the Solstice due to its compression ratio.

Also I run Synthetic in all of my cars. as well as the new baby when she comes.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
S2KAP2 said:
Your best gasoline's are going to be from a major retailer such as Chevron or Shell......these are 2 of the best gasoline's on the market. I only run Chevron
93 supreme in my S2000.
AMEN! My baby has only tasted Chevron Supreme (premium) w/ Techron since she got here.

ditto to dealernut's, synthetic... I just change my oil today. She will never see anything but Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...I find

it runs fine on kerosene. Why waste the money.

j/k I use premium only. my dealer gave me a "free" fill up with regular 87 (I think), and I am just starting to see a difference after a few tanks of premium (and after the break in)...more power, better mileage, more fun.
:cool:

·
Registered
414 Posts
LTDANMAN44 said:
I thought about this for some time and decided to just use regular gas at 87 octane. The car runs great :) The engine is just a 4 cylinder and not some exotic engine so I am not worried :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...unusual noises

oregon solstice said:
I thought about this for some time and decided to just use regular gas at 87 octane. The car runs great :) The engine is just a 4 cylinder and not some exotic engine so I am not worried :)
The owners manual states that you may hear knocking from using low octane, but that is normal. I noticed that at low speeds especially, during my first tank of cheap stuff from the dealer. It seems to have gone away since I switched to premium. The power is noticeably better, as is the mileage. Since this engine is tuned to run best on premium, and does so with increased power and mileage, I think it is just as, if not more, cost-effective with the recommended fuel.
:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I aree the car will run better on high octane,but as for which company to buy the gas from makes no difference,gas is gas is gas,buy it from the company that sells it the cheapist. (my best buddy owns a gas station,it all comes from the same place)

·
Registered
202 Posts
ryankely said:
I aree the car will run better on high octane,but as for which company to buy the gas from makes no difference,gas is gas is gas,buy it from the company that sells it the cheapist. (my best buddy owns a gas station,it all comes from the same place)

Except for the majors that use premium additives - Chevron Techron or Shell V Power etc. that is the difference

·
Registered
385 Posts
Premium ???

Premium, why you young whipper-snappers, in my day we called it Hi-Test or Ethyl. I put in 94 octane and I feel I get more power and better mileage. There is a station on the corner that sells racing gas, 106 octane..do I dare? Would it hurt?

·
Registered
174 Posts
What size is the gas tank?

I want to put fuel stabilizer in my Sol for winter storage ( when I get my car),but I would like to no the sizw of the tank for the proper ratio. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OZ40 said:
Premium, why you young whipper-snappers, in my day we called it Hi-Test or Ethyl. I put in 94 octane and I feel I get more power and better mileage. There is a station on the corner that sells racing gas, 106 octane..do I dare? Would it hurt?
It depends on what's in that racing gas. If it has lead in it as an anti-knock compound (technically called tetraethyl lead), it's a definite no go, but I don't think you can get that any more.

But here's how octane ratings work: The gasoline/air mixture, when compressed and like all gases, heats up. The more you squeeze it the hotter it gets (which is the way your air conditioner works but that's another story). Eventually it gets hot enough to ignite itself. That's why "knock" is often called "preignition." The air/fuel mixture ignites before the spark plug fires. (This compression ignition is how diesel egines work, but that's another story).

Now it's called knock because when it makes that knocking sound it's actually exploding (the spark ignited event is actually a rapid burning and the heat...well, that's another ball of wax). When there's knock, it's like hitting your piston with a hammer. Persistent knock will blow a hole in a piston face.

There are a lot of things that affect the propensity of an engine to knock, one of the greatest being combustion chamber shape (and we could get into a whole discussion about hemisperical combustion chambers...aka "hemi").

Octane rating is simply a gasoline's resistance to compression ignition. It comes from the "ideal" gasoline molecule being an organic chemical that's a eight carbon chain (there for the "oct"). A six carbon chain is hexane, seven is heptane. When they get longer you have kerosene, oil and at the far end, tar. If you had "perfect" gasoline, it would have a hypothetic octane rating of 100. (This is getting far too complex).

Anyway, there's a lot of science that goes into deteriming and making gasoline of a certain octane rating. But here's the important part: If your car is designed for 87 octane, putting 93 in it won't make any difference, assuming the car is operating as it was designed (fuel mixture correct: too lean will explode easier, for example).

If your car is designed for 91 octane and you run 87 in it, well, that's not good (see above). Modern cars have knock detectors that (magic goes here) keeps the engine knocking from being too bad. So with a light throttle, you can make it home. If it doesn't knock, sure, go ahead (though some knocking is inaudible--you can't hear it--so your risk is your own) if you're that desperate to save a few pennies.

An analogy: If it costs $5 to get in to the movies, paying $7 won't get you a better seat unless there's a "first class" section that costs $7. But even then, paying $10 won't get you a better seat there.

So in a few words, follow your manufacturer's recommendations, no more and no less. Your car will be just fine.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
buckeyewilky said:
I want to put fuel stabilizer in my Sol for winter storage ( when I get my car),but I would like to no the sizw of the tank for the proper ratio. Thanks for your help.
13.8 gal (according to Pontiac's web site)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Surprisingly worth it.

So I bought this Mitsubishi Galant V6 in 2002 and the owner's manual said use premium gas and I said, "Screw it, it's a four door ricer, why waste the money?" And I ran regular gas in it for almost 3 years. Then we had a hurricane down here and most of the pumps ran out of regular. So I put in 91 octane in it because it was the only fuel available. Holy s** t. Performance was like unbelievable, no more sputtering on take off and throttle response was off the chart. Hey, for 20 cents more a gallon, I'm sold. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts