Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The instant I saw the Solstice at the 2005 L.A. Auto Show, the classic style & curves reminded me of James Dean's 'Little Bastard' Porsche 550.
At that moment, I knew someday I would own one. The path has had detours, but the time is finally very near.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm about 6' 4" tall. I wanted a two seater that was any eye catcher. But the lambo and Ferrari or other rebuildable cars were to small for my frame. But the solstice fit the bill for something I could modify and create something with. Amenities of a modern car with the lines of a classic. Much like your James Dean flivver. I'm just starting my modifications, and having fun doing it. Happy to see you got what you wanted!!

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
I bought my wife a green Sky RL as as uprise birthday present in 2007. I drove it with her quite a lot and liked it's performance. Our first drop top car ever.

After a couple of months I knew I wanted my own car but preferred the Pontiac roadster. My first new car was a 68 GTO I bought when I came home from RVN. Loved that car. Until I got married and she got with child as we used to say. Sigh...

So 39 years later I brought home my own Sol.

By the way, I graduated from Hudsons Bay High in 1965

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I had a couple of Karmann Ghia's when I was a kid and I loved them. The Solstice reminds me of what a Ghia may have eventually evolved into if it were still built today. When I saw the Solstice originally, I figured I would get one someday. It just took me a little while.

That, and who doesn't want a two seat roadster with no trunk as their daily driver? :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, it was between this and a Chrysler Crossfire. I have always loved the design of the Crossfire. However, I didn't feel like paying the mainenance costs of the Mercedes-based car, especially as they're getting older. I also really wanted a convertible, and if there is one thing I truly do not like about the Crossfire it is the look of the droptop.

Regardless, I found a good deal on a mint Solstice in my area and picked it up immediately. I love my car. The only thing I would change is that I wish it was a GXP, but it is still plenty of fun.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I fit in the car! :jester: ( I'm 6'2" and 205 lb )

Once I knew that, it was just a matter of time...

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I always liked the Sky and always wanted a Sky…..and always thought the Solstice was ugly. Then we took one in (2.4L) on trade at the dealership where I worked. I drove it and thought….meh. It was okay. So I didn’t think too much of it. Then one day I had finally had enough of the Mustang and decided to stop and look at a local dealership. I saw a white GXP with T2 emblems. I didn’t think too much about it. Me being in the dealer world like I had been, I’m very fussy about the handling and feel of a car. Several weeks went by…. And my hunt for another car increased. As I started to get more serious an auto search for my area turned up 3 Solsti (plural of Solstice?). All were 2.4L. So I started doing research on the Solstice. That week on a Friday night we went back to the same dealership where I had found the white one I thought was sharp, and it was still there. So I went home and researched the T2 Solstice. I found out that it was a limited run production and knew instantly I MUST have this car. What I didn’t realize was that the T2 only came in yellow. I went to the dealership the next morning and 3 hours later it went home with me! Within 1 minute of driving it, I knew we were made for each other....LOL It’s been a match made in heaven ever since! My first car was a Fiero and I LOVED that car. I also had a Camaro RS with factory ground effects and a Mustang….but nothing has compared to my romance with the Solstice!

·
Registered
355 Posts
its looks really grabbed me and the gxp was much quicker than the mustang v6 conv it was replacing. this was my last hurrah vehicle before settling down... I knew I was getting too old to party like I was and that I'd want to slow down soon (the lifestyle, not the highway speeds!). a month later i met a girl willing to put up with me. she often drives almost as fast as I do in her little gti...

the gxp has been my dd for 2 years, but I hope to change that later this year and relegate the roaster to nice, warm days where the rubber guard under the nose isn't plowing snow.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I've always been a fan of small cars. First gen Mustanges, Camaro's, Corvairs, 2nd gen Corvettes. Unfortunately, those days didn't last long as each generation got bigger, wider, and heavier. They basically turned form sports cars into the length of family sedans (with 2 doors).

Then the Fiero came out, right size, wrong suspension & anemic engine, thought about a 2nd gen Nova, but by the time I could afford it, you guessed it, it had turned into length of a family size sedan.

Finally when the Solstice came out the new Mustange and Camaro went nostalgia, but not the size, they still represented a sports car that was the length of a size of a family sedan

And while the Kappa could have been about another 10 (170 inches) inches longer so it wouldn't fall into the "cute" moniker (because sports cars shouldn't car called "cute", it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Yin/Yang

I started with a Triumph TR-4A my uncle gave me. Then came a '74 Spitfire, '66 Mustang, '78 MGB, '84 Fireo, '88 Fiero GT... I think you get the drift. I have driven two seaters up until my 30s (baby time). Had a tear in my eye when I had to let the GT go - hell of a car Pontiac did right until the insurance companies killed it.

Never was a BMW or Porsche guy, so their two-seaters never moved me. Miata? Um, no. Saw my Dad's 2008 Sky NA and fell in love. Did a lot of research including reading this board. I bought my wife the 2008 Sky RL first and had to have a Solstice GXP - so I bought my 07. She is Chinese, so we went with Yin and Yang. She of course snagged the Yang moniker, I'm ok with Yin. ;)

Reactions: Hurricane87

·
Registered
271 Posts
After owning a Cobalt SS Turbo (and competing in autox and track days at Road America with it), I was hooked on the idea of light weight tuner cars that are actually faster than their bigger and more popular siblings (camaro, etc). The downfall of a lightly modded and tuned Cobalt SS was the traction. After owning it for only 3 years and 17k miles, it got totaled. With a hefty insurance check in hand I started hunting for a Solstice/Sky to replace it. I figured it had the best of both worlds: light weight, pretty powerful, but also RWD. I ended up getting a Solstice instead of a Sky because I didn't think the Sky was worth the extra $3k everyone was asking for them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First car was a Fiat 850 Spyder, many memories in that car. Two years ago, my daily driver (1984 Thunderbird Turbo) was having more maintenance issues, nothing major, just inconvenient as a daily driver. Whatever was wrong needed to be addressed so I could go to work in the morning.

Wife gave me the OK to look for another vehicle...but she had restrictions. Had to be less than 10 yrs old, good gas mileage and something she could drive (Thunderbird had a personality..if you know what I mean).

Kids are older, one already driving, wife had the family 4-door sedan. The Solstice hit the spot as a fun daily driver with lots of tinkering potential.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I've owned maybe 60 sports cars and have always had one (since I got my license) as my primary driver.

American cars are a bit of a wasteland for sports car fans - take a look at any dealer ad and what do you see - an unremittingly boring parade of trucks, with the odd Corvette thrown in. When they do come up with a decent one, I pay attention.

Bought a Fiero GT when it was a couple of years old. Hadn't been satisfied with my test drives - the suspension basically sucked, but I liked the car, so bought an 87 while waiting for GM to produce one with better suspension and a turbo. When I found a good 88 GT I bought it and did the turbo myself (we were a two Fiero family for awhile).

It was almost twenty years later that GM finally came up with something else that interested me with the Solstice. Not the original NA - no guts, but a good start. Then the GXP came out and I waffled, but joined this site to watch and learn back in 2007. Then the GXP came out and I was tempted, and test drove one, but wasn't a big fan of the convertible styling - the humps and the top design left me cold (and all of the ageing soft tops showing wrinkles now and having latching problems probably means I was right).

Then I saw the coupe - first one locally was in the Fall of 2009. I went to the dealer and test drove it, went home and did some intensive research here and elsewhere on the internet and went back and bought it the next day (we only saw 10 or 12 here and after you eliminate the automatic cars, I didn't have many choices). Before I went back to pick it up on the weekend (so my wife could run me down) I did a couple more days of calls and research and had the GMPP kits ordered before I even had the keys in my hand, followed by some road testing, more study and a lot more parts ordering until I finally got it the way I wanted it.

Lots of badly designed stuff on them, as on any car, but I ignore what I can do nothing about and modify what I can remedy. I may well own this one for 20 years as I did my Fiero - I doubt that GM or any other American manufacturer is likely to come out with another sports car like this during that period!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I,m a bike guy have been since the early 80s. To me cars or trucks were tools to get to work, to pay for mortgage, kid university etc. I seen one in 06 and said if I ever got a car for a toy it would be a Solstice. Well once our son moved away and the mortgage was paid I started working a better paying assignment ( double my income) I bought my dreams bikes, I added the only car I ever wanted. I have less than 1 year until I,m retired, with the car I also have a sport bike,a touring bike,and a duel purpose bike. I think I have all the bases covered for retirement

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it was between this and a Chrysler Crossfire. I have always loved the design of the Crossfire. However, I didn't feel like paying the mainenance costs of the Mercedes-based car, especially as they're getting older. I also really wanted a convertible, and if there is one thing I truly do not like about the Crossfire it is the look of the droptop.
How does the shoulder/hip room in the Crossfire compare to the solstice?
How does the handling compare?

Then one day I had finally had enough of the Mustang and decided to stop and look at a local dealership.
I'm curious, in what way had you had enough of the Mustang?

My first car was a Fiero and I LOVED that car.
I started with a Triumph TR-4A my uncle gave me. Then came a '74 Spitfire, '66 Mustang, '78 MGB, '84 Fireo, '88 Fiero GT...
Bought a Fiero GT when it was a couple of years old. Hadn't been satisfied with my test drives - the suspension basically sucked, but I liked the car, so bought an 87 while waiting for GM to produce one with better suspension and a turbo. When I found a good 88 GT I bought it and did the turbo myself (we were a two Fiero family for awhile).
I used to drive a friend's 1988 Fiero GT on occasion. I really enjoyed the sensation of the rear-wheel drive with the engine behind the seat & the t-tops off. It sorta felt more like a sports car than a roadster.

How does this aspect compare with the Solstice for you?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
4 cyl., front engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seater American sports cars don't come around too often and the beautiful lines of the coupe did it for me.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Back in the '80s and '90s I pretty much drove performance related Pontiacs and my wife drove Pontiac Wagons and Vans. In 2001, we acquired a Pontiac Aztek on a very good lease. My wife liked it, so when the lease ended in 2003 we turned the car in and then bought it used at a ridiculously low price (after all, the Aztek was the joke of almost all the cars at the time . . . still is).

While talking with the dealer, he mentioned that we should keep our eyes open for the sports car that Pontiac was going to make.

Anyway, I got an email from Pontiac on April 15, 2005 announcing the "Apprentice" deal on the Pontiac Solstice. I got my registration number, dropped the stuff off at the dealer, and late that afternoon got a call from the dealer that I had made it into the 1st 1000 lottery. I ordered the car the next day, and have had it since I took delivery on October 3, 2005.

In the end I think the Solstice chose me, rather than me choosing the Solstice. I'm certainly glad it happened, and we've met a great group of people as a result of having the Solstice in our lives.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Solstice Love

Even before I bought my first Bugeye in 1961, I always wondered why the USA didn't build 4 cyl roadsters. I sold that one when I went to university, but traded for another in '68 that I drove for 37 years. Gave it to my brother when I ordered our first Solstice #1113. When the Coupe was announced, we decided to order one and traded in the Envious. A buddy gifted the E-car and I had a project for a year. :thumbs:

:driving::driving::driving:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts