Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It's faster. It's a Lotus. It's limited availability. It has a few more things standard than the Solstice. People will pay it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Might be the exchange rate of the pound is worth 1.75 US dollars and our dollar is worth .57 pound. :willy:

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's also the best handling car you can buy. It's in a completely different class in my eyes than the solstice/S2000/miata cars. Although I wish it was cheaper myself but it's a lotus not a pontiac. As I recall some euro magazine named it the best handing car in the world. Incidently I think the ferrari 360 was second.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having been a happy owner of an elise I can say I've never owned a car that was more fun with exceptional performance. THink about it also, the Yota motor had the ECU remapped/redesigned to increase ouput to 190 hp. That's 13 MORE hp than the Soltice will have and around 900-1000 pounds lighter! THe performance is really breathtaking. R&T or one of the other big mags actually did a 0-60 test and got better than factory times, around 4.5 sec.

As to why it's more expensive. This car is literally handbuilt. Each car is built on an individual handtrolley, ie no mechanized assembly line. The car makes use of special extremely expensive molds for the bodywork and they're able to make a complete body out or relatively few component sections.

The extruded alum tub frame chassis, is hugely expensive to produce, weighs a fraction of normal chassis with relatively high strength.

Only build 2500 a year.

And of course the exchange rate sucks. When I got my car, base price was 39,500, but the $$ plummeted so much over the course of the year, price increases mean it's now around $43k base.

Wish I hadn't sold mine, but just couldn't afford it.

Solstice is a really neat car for what it is, but really not in the elise category, but at roughly half the price, can't say the solstice isn't a tremendous bargain.

Chris

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
How much better do you expect the Elise handling to be over the Solstice.

Reviews say the handling on the Solstice is go-kart-like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not only is the Elise handbuilt, but the aluminum frame uses epoxy to bond together different sections. Everything on the Elise is designed from the perspective of saving weight to the point of impracticality.

The Solstice was neither designed to, nor does it, compare to the Elise.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really think the solstice is probably the closest a US manufacturer can make a large production (compared to elise) minimalist car. Certainly the power to weight ratio is not nearly as favorable on the solstice, but that's smart on GMs part, next year they'll offer more power etc.

I don't really think the Solstice is to compete with the elise per se, but I do think a lot of the thought behind solstice is to harken back to the agile british roadster like mgb, spitfire, etc.

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you ignore the Elise's ability to run circles around anything this side of a full on race car... you can look squarely at the badge on the front:

with is worth 3289238x more in brand equity and desireability than:

Not trying to hate.. just telling it like it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
aawil said:
It's also the best handling car you can buy. It's in a completely different class in my eyes than the solstice/S2000/miata cars. Although I wish it was cheaper myself but it's a lotus not a pontiac. As I recall some euro magazine named it the best handing car in the world. Incidently I think the ferrari 360 was second.
when full head to head tests are run with the upcoming Cayman - look for the handling on that thing to rank near the top.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
nyca said:
when full head to head tests are run with the upcoming Cayman - look for the handling on that thing to rank near the top.
I assume you are saying the Elise and the Cayman are head to head in handling.

Where does the Solstice's handling fit in the scope of things?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Touring there are 2900 Pontiac dealers

ELTGuy said:
If you ignore the Elise's ability to run circles around anything this side of a full on race car... you can look squarely at the badge on the front:

with is worth 3289238x more in brand equity and desireability than:

Not trying to hate.. just telling it like it is.
I'd rather tour in a Solstice, if it breaks there are about 3000 dealers in NA were you can get it fixed. Lotus, not so many, would there even be 30? Then there are the parts coming from England.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fortimir said:
I assume you are saying the Elise and the Cayman are head to head in handling.

Where does the Solstice's handling fit in the scope of things?
probably not, that Elise is such a "one-off" design as far as mid-engine, weight, etc - its tough to beat. Current magazine reviews of the new Boxster, a car with no roof, say the handling is very sharp - with the added structural rigidity of a roof, expect some even better numbers.

we need to see some car magazine reviews of the Solstice in production trim - where are they? those car mag guys will put it through its paces, and they have driven so many cars to compare it to, they can "rank" it. I would also like to see Pontiac get one of these cars to Tommy Kendall on SpeedChannel. He just did a GTO drive review for Pontiac, he's a good commentator.

·
Registered
47 Posts
$$$$$$$

Now that I think about it, why does the Enzo Ferrari cost more than the Solstice? I don't even think the Enzo comes with 3 cup-holders! Later!

·
Registered
139 Posts
solstice cant compare to the elise in any performance category. it would get slaughtered on any track.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would like to see a Mallett Solstice Vs an Elise or even a heavily tweaked Turbocharged Solstice.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
CalBear said:
Now that I think about it, why does the Enzo Ferrari cost more than the Solstice? I don't even think the Enzo comes with 3 cup-holders! Later!
CalBear, every single one of your posts has been, how do you say, regressive on the grand scope of things in this forum. Your one liners... I can't tell if you are serious, or just trying to make us edgy.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree those are all good reasons, Thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts