Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with my dealer this morning. He claims that Pontiac wants this car to have a complete and thorough lookover and short test drive by the receiving dealership. My dealer claims that this will entail putting it on a lift, checking everything and even test driving it for about 10 miles. Then washing it and handing it over.

Can anyone else confirm this?

And he also wants me to leave it there for a day about a week after my delivery, but I may have to decline that.

All I can say is that the paperwork BETTER be MSRP as agreed upon with NO paperwork processing fees.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Excelsior said:
I spoke with my dealer this morning. He claims that Pontiac wants this car to have a complete and thorough lookover and short test drive by the receiving dealership. My dealer claims that this will entail putting it on a lift, checking everything and even test driving it for about 10 miles. Then washing it and handing it over.

And he also wants me to leave it there for a day about a week after my delivery, but I may have to decline that.

All I can say is that the paperwork BETTER be MSRP as agreed upon with NO paperwork processing fees.
My cousin is a technician at a Toyota dealer, and they regularly take all the new cars for a quick shake down cruise just to verify there are no problems, squeaks, rattles, etc. I am not sure if it is common place at all dealers, but it might be.

Could you request to be present when they do their 10 mile "test"? Possibly ride along with the technician? That way you can keep an eye on the car, and possibly point out any concerns you find yourself on the shake down cruise.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Could you request to be present when they do their 10 mile "test"? Possibly ride along with the technician? That way you can keep an eye on the car, and possibly point out any concerns you find yourself on the shake down cruise.

and that way you can make sure their 10 mile "test" doesnt become a 10 mile "joyride"

i personally wont let the dealer do it, period.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes it is normal for a dealer to test drive all new cars. No it is not normal to put 10 miles on it. We have seen cars come in with miles on them from the factroy, so its possible to have 10 but it should not be by the dealer. We take our new cars up to the gas station and back, no more than two miles.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Excelsior said:

Yes. In fact I mentioned the same thing in a thread last week. SmallDealer confirmed it is a common occurrance, but should not consume considerable mileage. Someone else indicated that their dealer OFFERED to have them present for the test drive. You may want to pass that idea along to your dealer - I certainly will be.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Excelsior said:
You won't fault the dealer for adding on title and tag fees for your state. Sometimes it is grouped together as paperwork, sometimes itemized. Here in PA even annual state vehicle inspections technically require a road test, which is not always performed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have already went over this with my dealer and at his request any test drive will inculde me. When I am talking to the dealer I am talking with the owner of the dealership. Lucky enough to be a good friend of his.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I presented my dealer with my list of things to do or not to do with my car and a couple days latter they called back and said they are required to take the car for a short road test and that they would call me as soon as the car came in and that I could go with the technician on the drive. She promised that there was no way the car will leave for the drive without me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Funny my dealer said nothing about my no test drive clause. Guess it's dealer by dealer thing or they'll just drive mine and not tell me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
By the GM check-in sheet a test drive is required. Our dealer service manager is going to receive the keys and will call when the car comes in...we talked the other day about not letting anyone but him drive the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long-time lurker, first time poster... :leaving: However, I have background to answer this one so I'll chime in.

I'm a Warranty Admin at a GM dealership and a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is a requirement for every vehicle per Policy and Procedure. A technician is required to complete a checklist of approximately forty items, several of which require a roadtest on a "legal roadway" In fact, you have to log the milage at the beginning and end of the test on the checksheet.

That said, I've never seen a test drive take more than five miles unless something was actually found not right from the factory. Factor in a mile or two on the odometer off the truck (not an unusual number) and that would be less than ten miles from factory to you.

For those of you who'd like your dealership to skip it, GM is currently emphasizing proper PDI procedure and, in the case of my Region, threatening some pretty draconian measures if they're not completed.

Bottom line: a dealership technician MUST drive your Solstice. Just not very much. Be proactive and mention to your dealer that you would appreciate a minimum number of miles being placed on the vehicle without you behind the wheel. :devil:

By the way while I'm de-lurked I'd like to thank Solsticeman and crew for this site. I've hung out here for the last seven months and enjoyed the discussions greatly. It's also nice knowing more than the sales staff about a car I want badly! :willy:

·
5,641 Posts
And several years ago the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles warned dealers to stop completing new car paperwork with "10 miles" listed as mileage. A proper pre-delivery prep should take more miles than that was their view.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There was story, I can't remember where it is though, but anyway.
The dealership took delivery of one of the first Ford GT's. The sales manager decided to take it out and go for a "shake down test drive" and did not get 10 feet out of the dealership parking lot when he was t-boned by a truck.

None the less the car was a total loss and the owner that was waiting for this car was SOL!

I can forsee this happening to one of you guys. Don't let them "test drive it" especially if you put a deposit down!

Can you imagine how super mad you would be if this happened!

PS: I think there is a big law suit involved on this as well. :willy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts