Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I'm a newbie here + have never owned a convertible, but am hoping to real soon!

The Edmunds site lists so many options - which ones do people think are essential or really desirable?

Like most people, I think!, I just want to get options that are a good value, but not trick out my car with everything!

I'm not a hard-core racer or anything, so I was thinking the power option, leather seats, and CD player.

Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts!

- bb doc

·
Registered
337 Posts
All - But XM, and OnStar ( or whatever your wallet can stand).

·
Registered
515 Posts
SolTex said:
:agree:
I also opted out of the polished wheels, but that's more of a personal taste issue...I just like the standard look better. Limited slip is a must have for a performace RWD'er in my opinion, and that's a great price. The ABS upgrade MAY pay for itself over the lifetime of insuring the car. And with almost all the other options you would get at least some of that back if you ever decided to sell. Might as well get the nice stuff to enjoy while you own the car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum bb doc!

Options are a personal choice. I am not sure too much is essential. However, some are desirable. From a performance standpoint, you may want the Limited Slip differential.

If you don't like it when its stuffy out, you may also want air conditioning. It can also help clear fogged windows when its raining out.

Other than that, I think everything is just about whether you want the convenience or appearance advantage. Leather is has its positives and negatives. There are upgradable radios, wheels, power windows and locks, etc. Thats all just personal preference.

That said, even a loaded Sol should ring in under $25K, which is still a bargain! :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just for reference, this is what I found on Edmunds, first dollar amount is MSRP, 2nd is invoice:

C60 Air Conditioning $960 $854
UE1 OnStar $695 $619
ZQ2 Power Package $625 $556
PCQ Premium Package $590 $525
US9 AM/FM Radio w/in-dash 6-disc CD Changer and MP3 Player $495 $441
QF8 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels $495 $441
ZQ3 Convenience Package $465 $414
JL9 Four Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes $400 $356
UQ3 Monsoon Premium Speaker System $395 $352
U2K XM Satellite Radio $325 $289
G80 Limited-Slip Rear Differential $195 $174
US8 AM/FM Radio w/CD and MP3 Player $195 $174
B32 Carpeted Floor Mats

My preference is more barebones and cheaper, but options that are hard or expensive to install by aftermarket are obvious get 'em items. I'd get ABS and the Limited-Slip Rear Differential minimum. Actually, the DIC in the Convenience Package is really useful, that's a must-have, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Essentials are AC and Limited Slip... Comfort and Traction.

My plan is to order everything except XM and Onstart in Sly with Two tone interior.

That's it, that's the car... and I'm gonna look good in it, too!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Essentials

:agree:

AC and Limited Slip.

I have owned three convertibles in Kansas. I've worn out two top over the years just putting the top up and down.

I personally ordered everything except for the XM and OnStar.

If you leave the top down while your at the a store or eating out and you live in a hot climate the leather option may burn you. Summer shorts can make it much worse.

I bought the leather seats because this wil be my wife's daily driver, but if it was my car, I would have ordered cloth.

I polled three mechanics, where I work, about ABS and two told me they would pay $400 not to have ABS and the other said he would buy it for his wife.

Everyone has different ideas. Thank goodness they have options.

I do hope that there wll be an option to raise and lower the seat height. I'm 6'7 and she is 5'6".

Gregodav :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I feel LDS, ABS, and AC are a must. The rest of the options are all up to each individual. Order to please you and enjoy the ride. :)

·
5,600 Posts
Bad keyboard. Bad!

·
Registered
305 Posts
SolTex said:
This is exactly what I ordered. runs about ~ $24,500 + tax.

You definitly want all 3 packages added + AC, stereo is up to you
but I went with the US9 + monsoon speakers for an open air roadster
(I like my toons to sound good even with the top down).

You went this far load it up.

Later!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Who thinks $960 is extreme for air conditioning a space about the size of an oversized suitcase? I think they should have a $3 option for a small styrofoam ice chest that holds a 4x4 block of ice. That should cool that space, don't ya think? At the rate for air conditioning the Solstice, it would cost about $1.3 million to air condition a space the size of my house.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me, ABS is essential, LSD is nice, and... well... I want it all :)

Here's my list:

C60 Air Conditioning $960 $854 (Indiana gets hot -- CHECK)
UE1 OnStar $695 $619 (Naaaaaaaaah)
ZQ2 Power Package $625 $556 (I'm lazy, so yes -- CHECK)
PCQ Premium Package $590 $525 (Yeah -- I'm gonna get a blue one with that cool tan and black leather -- CHECK)
US9 AM/FM Radio w/in-dash 6-disc CD Changer and MP3 Player $495 $441 (Naah, I am gonna get one of those ipod ripoffs instead and use that AUX thing)
QF8 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels $495 $441 (500 dollars for wheels??? No polish for me :))
ZQ3 Convenience Package $465 $414 (Sure -- need one of them -- CHECK)
JL9 Four Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes $400 $356 (Living is fun :) :) -- CHECK)
UQ3 Monsoon Premium Speaker System $395 $352 (Yup -- Gotta be able to hear with the top down -- CHECK)
U2K XM Satellite Radio $325 $289 ( Naaaaah -- I'll have that ogg player )
G80 Limited-Slip Rear Differential $195 $174 (Sure, why not :) -- CHECK)
US8 AM/FM Radio w/CD and MP3 Player $195 $174 (naah (see above ))
B32 Carpeted Floor Mats (Of course -- Even the thought of scuffing up my beautiful Solstice (to be) with my dirty, dirty shoes is repulsive -- CHECK)

Plus I can't drive stick so I'll need one of those new-fangled automatic transmission gizmos that'll set me back another 500, so I guess it'll be $24, 000 for me Oh Well!!!

:grouphug: :agree: :brentil: :lurk: :devil:

·
5,600 Posts
You are going to get wildly differing opinions. For a person who can't and won't use a stick shift, an automatic transmission is essential. So I can only tell you what options I think are essential and which are desirable.

Essential:

Anti-lock brakes, the ultimate safety feature

On-star for stolen vehicle tracking & roadside assistance with no spare tire

Cruise control is safer for me for long trips

Driver information center to replace oil, temp, water guages

Limited Slip Differential for predictable power delivery

Remote keyless entry so I don't lock my keys in the car

Power mirrors

Leather-wrapped steering wheels feel great

Air conditioning. Guess I'm just getting old...

Unfortunately, many of these options only come in packages, so I am stuck buying things I don't really want. The good news is, the prices of packages are always much less than the individual options purchased separately. So I will probably break even on cost and get things like leather seating areas and power door locks along for free.

It is not offered but a lot of us consider a high-output V6 to be an ESSENTIAL option! :crazy:

While I was just joking, it would be the 1st option on my list if it were offered.

·
5,600 Posts
adamacious said:
Woe is me!!! I forgot my remote key thinggy!

Where is that (its not on the list!) :grouphug: :willy: :willy: :willy: :yesnod: :cuss: :lurk:
It is part of the... ZQ2 Power Package with power windows, power door locks, remote keyless entry and power remote control outside rearview mirrors.

That is the problem with packages. I have to get the power package for mirrors & keyless entry so I'm stuck with power windows & doors.

All I want is a leather-wrapped wheel, but the Premium Package comes with leather shift knob and leather seats. I would prefer a wood shift knob and cloth seats. (Love the look of leather seats, though)

And to get cruise control and the Info center I have to get the Convenience package with the fog lamps (which is OK) and the steering wheel mounted radio controls.

·
Registered
284 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
I feel LDS...
Really??? You can order Mormons with this car?? That must be instead of the spare tire, you get a Mormon on a bike to pedal you around.

(J/K mikefred, couldn't resist having some fun with your typo. And no offense to any Mormon members, I grew up knowing a lot of Mormons and have several good friends who are Mormon.)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If you're looking for an everyday driver instead of a racer, I'd say A/C is a must. Convertibles have a tendency to fog up on rainy days because of the cloth top or if you don't get the top up fast enough.

Power package will certainly give you a more luxurious ride for the price and I'd say it's worth it.

Premium package gives you leather which I feel is important in a convertible because cloth seats can tend to fade and wear more quickly if you have the top down a lot. Leather can be hot on the legs, but seat covers will fix that if you can't stand it.

The conenience package was a tough call for me, but I think for the price, it will come in handy and keep it's value pretty well if I go to sell. Cruise is nice and a lot of people really like the fog lights.

ABS - I never really liked the idea before, but my Z3 came with them and I'm pretty sure they saved me a few critical inches once or twice that I may have lost if I had to pump the brakes myself. The performance can be pretty impressive and they might just save you a fender bender. Some drivers might view it as cheating, but if it saves that beautiful front end, I don't care. A computer just plain reacts faster than even a great driver. And as somebody else mentioned, you'll probably save money on insurance.

Limited-slip seems to be very popular because of the increased performance for what looks like a very small price.

I have no need for XM or OnStar, so I nixed those without much thought.

The polished rims are extra flash that I don't think this car really needs, so I'd rather save the money now ... I can always shop rims later if I want to upgrade.

There are over $1000 of stereo and speaker upgrades that may be nice, but I can't really justify. The base stereo comes with a CD player and and AUX-in for an MP3 player and such, so I can get by with it and if I decide to upgrade down the road, I think I can get a lot more for my money with that $1000 at an aftermarket sound shop.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Everybody has their own opinions of course, so you've just got to play with the options 'til you find a mix that you'll be happy with and wont' leave you strapped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Front license plate bracket

Hey whats wrong with everyone. You forgot the one essential option and the best bargin of all, the front license plate bracket. Now I can put in a vanity plate that says "My Sol", and there is no charge. Beat that :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't cheat yourself

Going from $21,000 to $25,000 looks like a lot now but down the road aways it may decrease your joy if you go too cheap.
If you don't like an option (i.e. some simply do not like leather or see no use for XM and OnStar) forget them. But if you would like to have it, put it on there.
Your going to have all Summer and Fall to save up before you take delivery (self discipline :willy: ).
In the end, you get what you pay for in most cases. :yesnod:
For example, I just paid to add on to my driveway so that I have a place to park my Jeep when the Solsice kicks it out of the garage. I have wanted that space for years now and should have done it when I built the house in the first place. :cuss: It would have been a pimple on the house payment but now it feels a bit more painful.
I am going with everything but XM and OnStar.

I leave you with that lovely mental image of acne ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Linux is the debbil! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts