Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as long as we are speculating, what do you think the options are going to be on initial release, and what do you expect the price for these options will be?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
From the edmunds.com article, options are supposed to be few, and they won't total a whole lot. They indicated a loaded Solstice would wind up under $25K, so that is basically $4-$5 worth of options. In the article a GM rep basically says this about the options: "Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential." With $5K worth of options, I would imagine there would have to be a few more too. Possibly a power package (windows, locks, keyless, etc possibly). Maybe AC, or cruise, Onstar, XM radio, security system, possibly navigation although that is less likely. Some of that could end up standard too so its hard to say. I wouldn't expect anything too exotic to be available.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I would expect GM to be cautious at first to test the markets desire for upgrades. But if they were to look at this forum as a test bed I believe they might offer some more options, one can DREAM :lol

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well damn, you beat me to it. I was working a pretty much this same thread, but with some more technical comparisons to other Pontiac cars to base option comparisons from.

Like Fformula88 said, we know we'll have "leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential" and ABS which was mentioned in another article.

Comparing the other Pontiacs for leather upholstery we find
  • $700 for the Vibe
  • $595 for the Grand AM
  • $850 for the Bonneville
  • $795 for the Grand Prix
Comparing the other Pontiacs for upgraded audio we find
  • $400 for the Grand AM
  • $695 for the Grand Prix
Comparing the other Pontiacs for different wheel finishes we find
  • $595 for the Bonneville (Chrome)
  • $375 for the Bonneville (Al Alloy)
  • $495 for the Grand Prix (Al Alloy)
Comparing the other Pontiacs for ABS we find
  • $400 for the Sunfire
  • $400 for the Grand AM
  • $600 for the Grand Prix (more then just ABS though)
I'm guessing there will also be XM $325 and OnStar $695. That only leaves the LSD option, but I'm guessing $300 for that. So my guess for all those options on the Solstice would look like the following.
  • Leather $700 (maybe less since it's only two seats instead of 4 like all the others)
  • Audio $695 in-dash changer
  • Wheels $600+ (since we have larger rims)
  • ABS $400
  • XM $325
  • OnStar $695
  • LSD $300
This comes out to $3715, putting the car around $24k with all those options if the values are about the same for the Solstice. Hopefully there will be another $1k of options too :D Possibly uprated paint ($750 on other Pontiacs). Or some styling options. Or I hope the most, the InfoTech Package with the HUD :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Good comparison and estimates Brentil! They seem to work well within what the GM rep indicated would be the Solstice's price range. InfoTech with HUD would be great!! :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All looks good. I really would like some sort of full instrument package. I've never seen a HUD so don't know about them. But I would pay extra for something more than a Tach, Speedo, Fuel and "Check Engine Light."

And we talked about custom luggage that made the most of what trunk space you had.

Maybe the long delay in showing it with the top up is that their working on the details of an optional removable hard top for less than $1500? Yeah, I know, dream on... :cool

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehe
It's only because I had started working on it before he created the thread :D
I'm just a pre-emptive geek.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's the difference between asking a question and finding the answers- nice work brentil!
which options would you choose given the list of probable options you worked up?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Maybe the long delay in showing it with the top up is that their working on the details of an optional removable hard top for less than $1500? Yeah, I know, dream on... :cool
You may not be too far off in price. Mazda offers thier hardtop for $1500 unpainted. Never understood why they didn't just offer the top painted white. White goes with every color, and those that want body color can easily paint it over. It was probably just as hard to put the primer on as it would be to paint it white. Many people would probably be just fine with a white top, but their way makes everyone go to the painters.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
there's the difference between asking a question and finding the answers- nice work brentil!
which options would you choose given the list of probable options you worked up?
The options I need for sure are
  • Better Audio
  • LSD
Things I would consider but really don't need.
  • Wheels - if this option gets me lighter wheels then it goes into the need list
  • ABS - I'll drive one without and one with and see if I feel it's worth it
  • XM - want to listen to a friends first before I buy it

·
Registered
496 Posts
Limited slip differential

Why would I want an LSD on a car with a five speed tranny?
I thought an LSD was for an automatic tranny to prevent the torque converter from shifting in and out of the highest gear @ cruising speed.
Is this incorrect, or is there another advantage to a LSD?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A Limited Slip Differential is at the back wheels on a car like the Solstice. If traction slips from one tire instead of that slipping tire getting all of the cars power, it converts power to the tire that's still on the ground so you maintain power to tires on the road.

Most AWD vehicles will have a center differential to provide power between the front and back if one slips. Some high end AWD cars like the Subaru STi and the Mitsu Lancer EVO VII 2005 MY have 3 differentials. The center differential, and then a differential at each the front and rear axel.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Why would I want an LSD on a car with a five speed tranny?
I thought an LSD was for an automatic tranny to prevent the torque converter from shifting in and out of the highest gear @ cruising speed.
Is this incorrect, or is there another advantage to a LSD?
LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential.

Your differential is basically the gear set that sits between your transmission and your drive wheels. It's a little more complicated than just a gear attached to the axle. If both wheels are driven and connected directly to the transmission (called positive traction or posi-trac) then the car will resist turning since the wheels rotate through different radii during turns and thus spin at different speeds.

A conventional differential distributes power via the path of least resistance, i.e. to the wheel with the least traction. When you break traction with conventional differential (open differential) you usually wind up spinning just one wheel. But with an open differential, the wheels are allowed to rotate independantly of one another, or "slip."

An LSD distributes power more evenly to the drive wheels, or in some cases actually transfers more power to the wheel with more grip. There are at least two common types of LSD. There is a clutch-type, and the torsen-type. Clutch-type LSDs distribute the power more or less evenly to both drive wheels, but allow the axles to rotate at different speeds during turns as the clutches slip. A torsen-type LSD has a complicated gear arrangement and no clutches. There are several advantages to a torsen setup. The biggest is that by design it will transfer power away from a spinning wheel and reapply that power to the wheel with more traction. It does this mechanically and instantly with no electronic controls. The other advantage is that there are no clutches to wear out. The big disadvantage is that torsen-type LSDs are far more expensive.

For drag racing applications, clutch-type LSDs, or even positive traction are desirable. For road course racing, a torsen-type LSD is the way to go. As an aside, I'm pretty sure for off-roading, you want positive traction since it is the least complicated and most durable, and your tires can slip more easily off pavement anyway.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Dang, Brentil beat me to it. Guess I shouldn't be so wordy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth, most of us Yanks down here wouldn't use a LSD near as much as you. We just want it so we can go faster without spinning the tires on warm, dry pavement. I'd think you actually could use it more than us in all the snow and ice of the Great White North. But, as my driving in frozen conditions is very limited, it seems like I heard that a LSD was a disadvantage on frozen roads. Something about having both rear wheels spinning instead of one being more likely to cause drifting. Any of you know if this rumor's true?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Any idea if the Solstice is clutch type or torsen type?
Supposedly it's the same as the CTS-V. I tried doing a google search of it, but I couldn't find anything more specific then the fact that it is an LSD.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
DreamerDave said:
GreatWhiteNorth, most of us Yanks down here wouldn't use a LSD near as much as you. We just want it so we can go faster without spinning the tires on warm, dry pavement. I'd think you actually could use it more than us in all the snow and ice of the Great White North. But, as my driving in frozen conditions is very limited, it seems like I heard that a LSD was a disadvantage on frozen roads. Something about having both rear wheels spinning instead of one being more likely to cause drifting. Any of you know if this rumor's true?
A good traction control system or a torsen type LSD is ideal for snow and ice. Depending on the situation, the clutch-type could be a good thing or a bad thing. You're less likely to get stuck with a clutch type or even posi-trac, when compared to an open differential. But you're more likely to have problems turning with either since your rear wheels will be trying to push you straight while your fronts are fighting to turn the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts