Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Solstice GXP is a fantastic car. But at the end of the day 2.0L just wasn't quite enough for me. There are so many great cars on the used market that are or will soon become attractive value options. I'm curious if there is anything out there that might tempt you away from the Solstice. What do you think?

Some of mine:

BMW Z4 (E89) - relatively cheap with a great aftermarket. Reliable 600rwhp is a couple of bolt-ons away.

C7 Corvette Z51/Grand Sport/Z06 - prices are coming down. Give the C8 a year to catch up to demand and things will be even cheaper. Last chance for a manual transmission.

Audi TTRS current and previous generation - AWD 2.5L 5 cylinder with ridiculous potential. Hard to find used though. Current gen $$.

Jaguar F-type R/SVR - AWD supercharged V8, Still spendy but it's a Jag so big depreciation is inevitable.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
The new Miata RF - but no turbo and not comfortable for my 6'1 wide shoulder frame. What's the story with the Tesla roadster?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The base C6 - particularly the early LS2 cars - are starting to get shockingly close to a nicely kept GXP in terms of price. And you get substantially more car with the 'vette. I hear they even have functional cup holders.

I can't think of too many others that would hit my target point of price/reliability/cost of ownership. The next closest would probably be a Cayman but I'm not sure I'd be happy with a base model, and the higher trim levels get expensive quickly, even used.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
More than likely I'd go old school. A restomod mid year Corvette, a 3 window Ford coupe, or possible a hot rodded 50s European car. Dunno, there's so many cool cars around. But our Solstice's continue to make us happy.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Well I have the BMW Z4M, but an E86 rather than E89 which loses in the feel and handling areas. But it isn't a Solstice substitute, it is the alternate in the summer.

If all you want is more power, 400 bhp on the LNF is just plug ins away - a bit of parts swapping and a retune. And there aren't that many sports cars around any more. Forget the Jag - the dropped second hand price is offset by the cost of fixing it - I have three friends that went that way. And the Audis are also a whole other level of maintenance cost.

None of the other sporty cars have ever attracted me - the blocky Nissans etc. You might be able to find a last gen RX7 turbo, which are very good cars, but if you are the type that likes muscle car performance without having to worry about fussy things like accurate shifting and such, I think the RX7 and the S2000 wouldn't suit you (maybe you aren't that sort of owner - I am assuming based on your choice of a Corvette).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Saturn Sky Redline;)

TBH, nothing really comes close at the price point I paid (less than $8k CDN with only 60,000kms on it).
My dream car would be AC / Shelby Cobra (even a replica). But these are pushing $35k+ CDN used.
I also love the Jag F-type. Visually, its the only car I think comes close to the Solstice / Sky in great body proportions (after the AC Cobra).

·
Registered
274 Posts
bmw z4 hardtop convertible or MD SLK, that hardtop convertible is nice and easy compared to the solstice top.

and of course the 911, I was actually looking to buy one when the solstice won me over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've bought two of these cars now. Standard and GXP. After I got my GXP that was it. That's my car. No other car tempts me. I'm thinking about buying another used one and go nuts on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If all you want is more power, 400 bhp on the LNF is just plug ins away - a bit of parts swapping and a retune. And there aren't that many sports cars around any more.
I've fully explored that option with the direct port meth injected EFR7163 running on E54. I'm shooting for 600whp on the next platform so it's going to require more than 2L.

I think the RX7 and the S2000 wouldn't suit you (maybe you aren't that sort of owner - I am assuming based on your choice of a Corvette).
I'm also nearly 6'7. I love small, light cars but the Solstice is about the smallest thing I can fit in. The Corvettes work but I would have to change out the front seat Cleetus-style.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bmw z4 hardtop convertible or MD SLK, that hardtop convertible is nice and easy compared to the solstice top.
I think the E89 Z4 with the right wheels is one of the best looking cars out there. I don't know anything about Mercedes though.

and of course the 911, I was actually looking to buy one when the solstice won me over.
Agree on the 911 but man do you pay a premium on the turbo versions.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts