Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Firs went to a c6, but turn in was worse than a solstice. Then went to a 2nd gen viper, gained in the turn in and some power. About the same weight and I can fit better in it without having to go with custom lowered seat.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
The Viper and the Solstice are opposite ends of the technical spectrum. The Viper has one of the lowest power outputs per liter you'll see in a performance car. They should sell T shirts that say "If We Can't Make it Efficient, At Least We Made it Big"

The Solstice has one of the highest specific outputs in a modern car (there are no several small turbo engines since then that have passed the Solstice power to displacement level, but they still stand up well).

Solstice GXP with GMPP = 145 bhp/l
Viper 1st gen = 50 bhp/l
Volvo T6 = 151 bhp/l
Mercedes M139 2.0 = 208 bhp/l

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only car I’d consider getting and parting with the Solstice is a 2015 Z/28. They’re still up there in price though so it’s out of the question. Other than that, I own everything I want and have no desire to toy with any of the new stuff. (16 Silverado is my daily.) At some point I’ll get the LT1 I have and drop it in the Solstice but won’t happen anytime soon. In the meantime my 17 SS Sedan (Holden) keeps me more than content. When I get an LSA on it it’ll probably be my favorite.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I like the Mustang GT as well. I love my “Mean Machine” and she will be with me for as long as I can enjoy her. I am now thinking about in addition to the Mean Machine getting a Harley Softail Slim....maybe next year. Have never driven a bike in my life so will have to take and pass the course. I see a black one and then get the fuel tank painted mean yellow!!!
When I bought the Mean Machine I was 50 years old. I had to learn how to drive a standard. At 60 I took up boxing. At 63 learn how to drive a Harley? Might not see 64:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Viper and the Solstice are opposite ends of the technical spectrum. The Viper has one of the lowest power outputs per liter you'll see in a performance car. They should sell T shirts that say "If We Can't Make it Efficient, At Least We Made it Big"

The Solstice has one of the highest specific outputs in a modern car (there are no several small turbo engines since then that have passed the Solstice power to displacement level, but they still stand up well).

Viper 1st gen = 50 bhp/l
Volvo T6 = 151 bhp/l
I seen you refer to viper as being bad before, it is lower hp per liter than NA solstice but it is a completely different power band and purpose. Viper is larger with a massive engine while keeping the weight about close to solstice spec. I was cross shopping viper with a lotuse exige, but ability to fit without hitting head on the roof won me over. Overall, I would prefer an ls powered solstice instead. So the viper is for sale. Similar argument goes to the corvette, but to me viper has closer to solstice feel than c6. I need a custom seat arrangement if going in to the solstice again.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If I had the skills, time and money, I'd build a Factory Five Racing coupe, either the Type 65 Coupe (a Daytona Coupe replica) or an 818C (WRX powered, mid engine)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My short list before choosing my Solstice coupes was.
300Z
Crossfire
3000 VR4
Corvette

·
Registered
846 Posts

Viper 1st gen = 50 bhp/l
Volvo T6 = 151 bhp/l
Good call out, exactly why I like the 2.0's. The GXP with GMPP is what got me focused on my current vehicle (The Solstice is our fun drive car only).

Being in Colorado, I wished I could find a serious 2.0T, AWD, Hatchback (folding rear seats so you have decent cargo capacity), which of course could still deliver 25mpg combined and actually be tracked.....

I think the Mercedes M139 engine you mention is the newest 2020 S version (or 2021 S model yet to be released), but in any case, this motor in the CLA/GLA will indeed be around 416HP. However it will have a very significant price tag for what some would say is very much lacking Mercedes interior elegance (AMG knows they can't have weight, they are used to building heavy v8 performance cars). But it is an AMG. My GLA45 AMG I believe is the M133 and this is still 187.5HP/L. There are only a couple super cars with higher specific power output by a manuf. with any quantity. I will likely put a light tune on it to bring it right at 200HP/L, about the limit I think if I want to keep reliability given I will likely need to push my boost from 26.1 to about 27.5-28 (M139 boosted to just over 30psi).

But back to the point, the Solstice is what got me looking in this direction, the 2.0L engine has always been impressive, and I didn't buy my MB AMG for luxury, and am happy with the simplicity of the Solstice GXP Coupe interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got about the same hp level in my sky as wsphon and find it a hoot to drive...until a mustang showed me his tailights a few days back...then it was-where is my 600hp 04 Z06, I'll show him! (Sold to my son)
But if I could do it again and had the needed $75k to get it where I wanted it to go...another 69 camaro with a 650hp LS and a little blue bottle for kicks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I had the skills, time and money, I'd build a Factory Five Racing coupe, either the Type 65 Coupe (a Daytona Coupe replica) or an 818C (WRX powered, mid engine)
I built an 818S, and sold it for my Solstice. It was fun to build and romp on track but absolutely terrible in all other regards.
FB_IMG_1592531586321.jpg

AFAIK, I still hold the record for lightest one completed and road legal by a fairly healthy margin.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
17 Posts
This is a fun question, but I think anyone's answer depends on how they use their Solstice. For me, I wanted a nice-looking, inexpensive, fun to drive convertible with a manual transmission that would be an occasional sunny day toy. The NA Solstice checks all the boxes for me, and I don't think there's anything close in the same price range. (A BMW Z3 was my other consideration, but I wouldn't give up my Solstice for one now.) So for the same price, nothing else that I know of is tempting. If price didn't matter, then this:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Several....Supra, Genesis G80, Mercedes C-Class convertible, and finally, no questions asked, the Jaguar F-Type. These are all "realistic" cars for me. Cars that I could have, if I got rid of the Sol... I've driven the last 3 for an extended time and all are incredible cars. Now fantasy cars, in which price is no problem? Mercedes AMG-GT convert., Porsche 911 GT3, Bentley Continental GT, or the new Cadillac CT5 Blackhawk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I owned a 1970 jaguar e type roadster and my gxp is way better in virtually every respect...even in the looks department....so nothing else tempts me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh, hey if money is no issue...a cts v for date night, a manual ZL1 for the road course and....hmmm. An auto ZR1 for everything in between...

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Sorry for the extra post, but I'd meant to leave the photo of the car I was asking about in my inquiry as to what it is.

I hope it'll show up in THIS post! :)

Is the first series of the Alpine A310 , 1971 - 1976 , less then 2500 cars rolled out of the Dieppe (Normandy) factory. This series still had a 4 cyl. engine and can be recognized by the car-wide head light section. Later versions had different head lights (not from side to side anymore) and 2 more cylinders.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info -- which I used to find a little more info about it, at Wiki.

I see that the original 4 cyl version was considered "underpowered", and that they later went to a 6 cyl version that had the same PRV motor later used by DeLorean -- which is almost funny, since "underpowered" is one of the first words I'd use to describe the Delorean I used to own.

Of course, I imagine the DeLorean was a lot heavier than the A310, so maybe the 6 cyl was fine for the A310.

Is the first series of the Alpine A310 , 1971 - 1976 , less then 2500 cars rolled out of the Dieppe (Normandy) factory. This series still had a 4 cyl. engine and can be recognized by the car-wide head light section. Later versions had different head lights (not from side to side anymore) and 2 more cylinders.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
They changed the 4 cyl from carb to inj in the later years. Think that added 40 horsepower or so

41 - 60 of 91 Posts