Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
at this point probably a v6 challanger..with automatic since driving my solstice kills my ankle so i cant hardly walk for 3-5 days. poor car just sits under the car covers under the car port . neither one of us are happy campers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Solstice GXP is a fantastic car. But at the end of the day 2.0L just wasn't quite enough for me. There are so many great cars on the used market that are or will soon become attractive value options. I'm curious if there is anything out there that might tempt you away from the Solstice. What do you think?

Some of mine:

BMW Z4 (E89) - relatively cheap with a great aftermarket. Reliable 600rwhp is a couple of bolt-ons away.

C7 Corvette Z51/Grand Sport/Z06 - prices are coming down. Give the C8 a year to catch up to demand and things will be even cheaper. Last chance for a manual transmission.

Audi TTRS current and previous generation - AWD 2.5L 5 cylinder with ridiculous potential. Hard to find used though. Current gen $$.

Jaguar F-type R/SVR - AWD supercharged V8, Still spendy but it's a Jag so big depreciation is inevitable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was the Proud owner of #725 and I LOVED it for the first 3 years I had it, but I WANTED MORE from a fun car!
I bought a Used Lexus SC430 Pebble Beach Edition and it's EVERYTHING I ever wanted in a Convertible and a Performance car too!
This "baby" is FAST with it's 300hp engine and the Hard Top Convertible is outstanding! Comfortable......Good Looking.....Has options for a 2004 car
that was ahead of it's time! https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/lexus/sc430/2393841.html

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I was the Proud owner of #725 and I LOVED it for the first 3 years I had it, but I WANTED MORE from a fun car!
I bought a Used Lexus SC430 Pebble Beach Edition and it's EVERYTHING I ever wanted in a Convertible and a Performance car too!
This "baby" is FAST with it's 300hp engine and the Hard Top Convertible is outstanding! Comfortable......Good Looking.....Has options for a 2004 car
that was ahead of it's time! 2004 Lexus SC430 for sale #2393841 - Hemmings Motor News
But you could have had a GXP and had just as much fun.... The GXP is a different animal then the NA.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Don't want to blaspheme here, but just picked this up and have been more than impressed - 2017 SLC43 AMG with 22K miles in perfect condition. Build has started - simple downpipe and tune takes to 450 hp - upgraded impellers to 540.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitely a Vette. I was actually on the fence a while back about selling my GXP and buying a C7 Z51 when the C8 came out and C7 prices dropped. But instead I kept the GXP and added (in process), the Werks WR-4 turbo kit.
Older Vettes are fun too. I have an 80 with a built 406, over 500hp/500 tq. OP, you ever consider an LSX conversion in your Solstice?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I traded in my '07 Solstice and an '09 Challenger RT on an '11 SRT Challenger. I had a ton of fun with the Solstice. It was used for testing of the Solo exhaust and header on a dyno. Was a first 10 DDM Works supercharged car. I really liked that SC kit. The low end torque was smile creating..

I've been drooling over the new Corvettes for a while now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
OP, you ever consider an LSX conversion in your Solstice?
I have several times but I don't think it will pass emissions where I live. I've also looked into doing a Tesla motor swap but that's still pretty spendy considering the limited range it would probably have.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If anybody has a 377 powered Superformance Corvette Grand Sport that wants to trade, pm me.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
The base C6 - particularly the early LS2 cars - are starting to get shockingly close to a nicely kept GXP in terms of price. And you get substantially more car with the 'vette. I hear they even have functional cup holders.

I can't think of too many others that would hit my target point of price/reliability/cost of ownership. The next closest would probably be a Cayman but I'm not sure I'd be happy with a base model, and the higher trim levels get expensive quickly, even used.
I had an ''07 Solstice NA, that I traded in for a new '08 GXP that I tricked out a bit (suspension and tune - 300 WHP). I got (as a gift) a new '16 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51 and had to let the GXP go. I love my Corvette and the camaradiere I have with other Corvette owners (never really existed with Kappas like with the Corvette 'family'), but I have to say that the Corvette is bigger and faster than the GXP, and the GXP is much more nimble. and feels 'quicker.' I don't feel 'as one with the car' in the Corvette as I did with the GXP. I wish I had them both.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Carpe Diem,
I do have both and your comments are spot on, however like you, my 2007 GXP also is for sale and has to go. My 2015 Stingray 3LT Z51 7 Spd. is also for sale, will miss both cars.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I should add that a reason that I stay excited about Solstices (and Skys) is the community. I ventured to Kerrville to drive with the SW Kappa Club and hope to repeat that soon. I have been to 3 NASSAMS, Lexington, Blackhawk and Corning, and was sad to miss Rapid City. See you in 2021.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Don't want to blaspheme here, but just picked this up and have been more than impressed - 2017 SLC43 AMG with 22K miles in perfect condition. Build has started - simple downpipe and tune takes to 450 hp - upgraded impellers to 540.
Nice car Scott.

It is a bit of an outlier as the turbo 4s have largely filled the gap between the 4 and 8 cylinder cars in terms of performance, leaving no necessity for a hipo V6, but I like that one. Have friends with late model Mercs and they .keep telling me that car quality has suffered from the 90s on. Hopefully that won't affect your model and the AMG part would make me feel better about them.

And of course you couldn't leave it stock as it had around the same power as your first Solstice ended up with, right? (y)

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Thanks much! Right now, it's still stock, awaiting back-ordered downpipes. It will be plenty powerful, but not close to my V8 Sol Coupe, which remains the all-time favorite car.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
After totaling her 07 twin to our original 06, which I still have. The wife wanted another stick shift, but still can't even ride in the 06 after her accident.
Looked long and hard, and she finally landed on a 2017 Abarth 500 C. It is an amazing toy, roughly same HP as the Solstice and well over 500 lbs. lighter.
It hasn't tempted me away from my Sol, but it sure is fun to drive when I get the chance.
Second pic shows top fully retracted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Triumph TR-6
I drove a TR-6 in the eighty's. Loved it. Weighed a ton! you couldn't push it by yourself. Keeping the carbs in sync required regular attention.

.. I'm curious if there is anything out there that might tempt you away from the Solstice. What do you think?
No. Nothing.

I've always been attracted by Lotus and Lamborghini, but I'm still working class and limited to considering within my budget. I've always liked the mid 80's merc slk's, and I'd still be driving a Fiero, both if it weren't for the age and maintenance requirements. I need a daily driver.

I've had mine for a month. My situation may change in 5-10years, but I can't imagine wanting to take on a monthly payment for anything else out there.

Two people have offered to give me $3000 more than the $7000 I paid for it. I told them not a chance. Go find your own.

(not in those words... I was nice about it and suggested how to find one)

61 - 80 of 91 Posts