Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nothing for me...
I've got a 92 Formula, a slightly modded 73 Stingray, modded 13 Corvette GS, a couple bikes, and bought the Sky RL a couple months ago. I jump in the Sky every chance I get. I don't really think there's another car out there that has the same look or feel. Modern Corvettes feel more "track oriented", older Vettes feel more "arm out the window and cruise", and the other sports cars (Miata, s2000, rx7, etc) feel gutless unless you're absolutely wringing them out.
I plan on driving the wheels off of mine (currently at 28k) and then finding another low milage one and doing it all over again!

In other words... I'd be really sad if Kapps's suddenly vanished from the earth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Kiztope 92 formula? as in Firebird?

When I was a senior in high school, 1984, I drove a hot rod 73 grand am. My best friends had a new 84 Firebird and Camaro Z28. There was a guy in town who had a 78 undecaled gold formula.

He was an adult. we were in high school. We never thought about approaching him!

I'm not rich. I've not had the opportunity to sample the driving experience of all the wonderful sports cars out there. and as I've said, I haven't found anything that compares to the handling of the Fiero.

I had my heart set on a Solstice. Opposed to all the other import convertibles, I love the beefy profile. It's an american style roadster... It's a man's car... pumped up and muscular. It's like Dwayne Johnson if he was a Miata.

I thought of the Sky as the woman's version... more chrome and pretty features. But I found a great deal on a well maintained example.

I've only had my Sky road registered for 2 weeks, but everytime I walk towards it I can't help but think, that is the most beautiful and unique car on the road that I can afford to own.

When I'm not loving behind the wheel, I just like walking around and looking at it. "Take a picture, it lasts longer" ... Pictures just don't do it justice.

Even if I considered paying for other autos available at three times the price... I wouldn't trade it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"I've only had my Sky road registered for 2 weeks, but everytime I walk towards it I can't help but think, "damn, that is ONE SEXY BITCH!"

Get ready babe, cuz I'm about to slip inside you and... Drive... You... Home!"

Whoa, whoa, whoa ! I thought this was a family forum ! - lol

·
Registered
610 Posts
I like most any thing with power...light weight helps a lot too, handling is good, but it can always be improved uppon, hell my old 600+hp 71duster handles great with the full frame, roll cage,laderlink&floaters with 19.5" wide rear tires& 5:38 rear gear. it was awesome no mater where you put it. if I had put a spool in it the story would be a lot different.but the dana powerlock or sure grip was great. I do like a broad power band. not just brrrrrrrzzzzzzzoom!. my 2332 cc aircooled vw engine had great power from the hit to 7000, my smaller 2028cc was ok....great on top end but didn't have a lot down low. I hope I can finish up my 2393cc with hyd roller&jessell valve train for my 356 in the next few years or less. but first I gotta build a proper header & get tuned for this to me anemic solstice.( I am used to a lot more power thus it's slow to me) and hope my anle will get better....or....the sol will go and a newstyle challenger will replace it. or possibly a old cuda or barracuda. cars to me are kinda like people or music, I like most all of them. and most all can be improved upon. hmm I could turbo a slant 6 for the baracuda......now that would be different. whats hard for me is...these darn small tires.but I can live with it, my days of racing seem to be done. so what fun car?? well....most all are fun.and many are tempting even if there ugly as a 61 dart or early 60's dodge pickup's.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
yes, that post was in bad form. Apologies. I thought about it after.

I don't know how to edit a post.
It was a bit edgy.

To edit a post, click on the three dots symbol at the top right of the post you want to edit. It should be reasonably obvious what to do after that but let me know if it isn't.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Two cars from my past, either would be a welcome temptation as I had both new, registered only to me. I'll take a 1965 metallic Seafoam Green Le Mans two door hardtop, full boat, but this time a 326HO with a 4-speed. The other a 1972 1608cc Fiat 124 Spyder in Colorado Yellow with black top and interior. Make it rust free, in 2020, as long as we are wishing. That was a damn fine little car, with a real trunk and a top you could lower and raise with one hand from the driver's seat. Many good memories. Interesting thread...

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I was trying to think of what, in the 2020 used car market, really compares to the Solstice GXP. Now the Porsche crowd would never agree with me but the older Boxster S (986/987) might be the closest alternative. Two seater, convertible, sub 3000lbs, RWD, 250-300ish hp, available with a manual trans, nimble etc. I don't think anyone mentioned it though.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
Edited. Thank you @JohnWR.

This forum has been a huge help in my search and research for my own. I'd hate to get banned for inappropriateness.
It takes quite a bit more than that to get banned, and it was edgy but not over the line. There is a spectrum of response from asking you to edit the post, through one of us editing it, to simply deleting it. Banning is way down the list and only after repeated incidents.

What may get you banned is continuing to refer to the Sky as a woman's car, so watch it. That goes for you, too @wspohn .

Enjoy your car and have fun on the forum.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think it's been 2 weeks since I drove mine a little bit...right now I would love something nice with automatic...no not a nice yugo. Im not sure my ankle and my back will ever make my solstice fun again....that sucks. I think I barley have 2000 miles since I bought over a year ago...that really sucks as Im used to well over 12000 very fun miles a year in my fun rides.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I think it's been 2 weeks since I drove mine a little bit...right now I would love something nice with automatic...no not a nice yugo. Im not sure my ankle and my back will ever make my solstice fun again....that sucks. I think I barley have 2000 miles since I bought over a year ago...that really sucks as Im used to well over 12000 very fun miles a year in my fun rides.
i don't know what your price range is but the older (2009-12) BMW Z4 with the 3.0L turbo and a dual clutch is a lot of fun. If you don't care about the roadster configuration then the 2011-13 BMW 135i with the dual clutch is even cheaper. There's also the VW GTI with the DSG. These transmissions are fun enough that you might not miss the manual.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Taking the SLC43 in for downpipes and tune this week. Same shop gained 80 whp from just a tune (no DP's) last Friday, so these twin turbo V6's really seem to respond.

·
Registered
610 Posts
after building and racing american iron for 40+ years I dont see my self in anything else...I did think about the bmw roadsters for a while before I bought the solsitce. Im at the point where I dont want to work on any thing...and cant is getting close.very close. if I had the $ I would just get a 2015 or newer challanger with v6& 8 speed auto....the 4cylinder turbo mustang is also a choice..I drove one 2 years ago when a friend from switzerland came to visit...fun, but the back seat is almost totaly unusable so...it to should be considered a roadster..sort of.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
i don't know what your price range is but the older (2009-12) BMW Z4 with the 3.0L turbo and a dual clutch is a lot of fun.
The E89 (2009-2016) was a softer version of the older E85/86 cars with softer handling and far less torsional stiffness than the E86, and an extra 200 kg doesn't make for better acceleration. Good article here

I think that the nomination of the Cayman S was an apt one, however.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Had to look that up; looks fun. How about a Factory Five kit car/Cobra replica?
I had a pair of Fox body mustangs for almost twenty years. My plan for a long time was to build an FFR Cobra. I just never had the money and time simultaneously. The Goblin is lighter, faster, cheaper and mid-engined. Although the Cobras will always look better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Solstice GXP is a fantastic car. But at the end of the day 2.0L just wasn't quite enough for me. There are so many great cars on the used market that are or will soon become attractive value options. I'm curious if there is anything out there that might tempt you away from the Solstice. What do you think?

Some of mine:

BMW Z4 (E89) - relatively cheap with a great aftermarket. Reliable 600rwhp is a couple of bolt-ons away.

C7 Corvette Z51/Grand Sport/Z06 - prices are coming down. Give the C8 a year to catch up to demand and things will be even cheaper. Last chance for a manual transmission.

Audi TTRS current and previous generation - AWD 2.5L 5 cylinder with ridiculous potential. Hard to find used though. Current gen $$.

Jaguar F-type R/SVR - AWD supercharged V8, Still spendy but it's a Jag so big depreciation is inevitable.
there are many reasons to keep what you got ,insurance, cost of operation to start.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts