Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My issue is, I think of sway as body roll. But with this Solstice, at what I consider to be a reasonable speed ... this is city driving ... it feels like my left rear sidewall is collapsing. Tire pressure is fine. Tire shows no sign of defects.

Do I not know how to drive this car yet? I've only owned it a month. I am thinking of lowering it 1.5 inches, but the front scrapes a little on my driveway now.

It is a weird feeling. Maybe the ass-end is trying to swing out, and I just don't know it? If it had a good e-brake maybe I could find out if it was rolling or sliding. But then again, I'm only doing 10-15 mph.

Any ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You are experiencing the usual "what is going on with the rear of this car" .

The first mod that we recommend for all new owners is to install the DDM Works ProBeam. It stops the weird motions out of the rear suspension and makes a huge improvement in overall handling.

ddmworks.com

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I'd love to be able to compare the handling of my stock 08 GXP to one with DDM Pro beam and Brace Bundle... but I gotta tell you that since putting on the new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires the improvement in handling is amazing. This things now darts from one lane to next and corners with a sure-footedness that the old Goodyears never had ... its like a new car!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I recommend to everyone the DDM brace kit. It makes a huge difference in handling and body roll. Schedule to do three brace kit installs at our upcoming MKC mod meet.

·
Administrator
9,725 Posts
I will add my agreement to the pro-beam, but you could also have a rear caster issue, especially since this is happening at relatively low speeds. I recommend an alignment if you haven't already had it done, and be sure to go somewhere that can and will check the caster. Do you notice any problems going over bumps, especially in curves? Bump-steer is another characteristic of bad caster.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Have you owned a RWD car before? The reason I ask is because a lot of people have grown up only knowing and driving FWD cars. Regardless I agree w/buying a brace bundle, and I'd hold off on lowering the car until you feel comfortable with it's handling characteristics. BTW, if your hearing the car scrap at stock height, you're definitely going to scraping more if you lower it. These cars are bottom breathers, so it's important to keep the front fascia underbody air dam in good condition because it helps direct air up to the radiator.

It's Part 21, in order to see it you have to get on your hands and knees to see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also having an issue backing up my driveway. I'm guessing it is at least 40 degrees, but the traction is horrible. It feels and sounds like the wheels are spinning, but the car doesn't leave rubber. BUT, it has taken the top layer of dirt off the surface.

Does this have anything to do with the suspension issues we have discussed? Or a bad caster? Does this car have posi-traction? I haven't checked to see if I have 2-skid tracks coming up or just one.

Re: other posts ... I got my DL in 1974 driving a 1969 Karmann Ghia convertible with electronic clutch. I bought my first car in 1979, a Triumph Spitfire, and I just got rid of my '02 Vette when my son gave me his Solstice. So technically, I've had far more RWD cars than FWD, especially when it comes to sport cars. But I did drive the Dragon at 1-AM in a Mini with FWD. Always wanted to do it in a RWD.

As far as lowering ... I did crawl under the front of the car for the first time and saw that there is tons of room for lowering. I am disappointed that the air dam isn't hinged, like it is on the Vette. But if I lower it, it looks like I'll need a smaller air dam any way ... item #21.

·
Administrator
9,725 Posts
I'm also having an issue backing up my driveway. I'm guessing it is at least 40 degrees, but the traction is horrible. It feels and sounds like the wheels are spinning, but the car doesn't leave rubber. BUT, it has taken the top layer of dirt off the surface. .........
Seriously? You are backing up a 40-degree dirt driveway and can't understand why you have no traction?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts