Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had mine less than a week, I've never seen another one on the road......until yesterday. I was heading east on a paved road, saw a red one with top down on road from north waiting at the stop sign. Two guys were in it. I honked my horn a few times and waved. I saw they were turning my way, I found a good spot to pull over and chat. They just rode on by, no waves, horn or anything.

Oh well, they must not be Forum members........

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Solstice Salute

We actually covered this a while back:
link to ASL sign for Sun... A good salute!

I'll repost it here for convenience:
Crimson Avenger said:
Perhaps, the Solstice wave should be the ASL sign for Sun. It would symbolize the Sun (or Sol as we will know it from now on) and the freedom of the open top wheels on the road spirit.... See the American Sign Language University at http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/s/sun.htm: (images linked below)

Waving is good for camaraderie. When waved at, or given the thumbs-up by other drivers, Solstice pilots should also give them the Solstice salute in return.

In most cases, the smile, and the similarity to an ordinary salute will be greeted with understanding by the general public, and the Solstice owners will know it's a special sign.

While slightly silly, the open circle Solstice salute could work for this car, and would be different even from the Sky or other roadsters. :cool:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Hmmmmm...

Think I'll just flash my lights and wave, maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
This works too: :thumbs:
good choice!
smart move!
yeah!
way to go!
Solstice owners unite!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like you got the "sols-diss"..... :lol:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
When I rode my beloved VOLUSIA, I waved at every bike I passed.

I think Bikers tend to be into the wave thing.

I don't see too many vehicles doing the wave thing, BUT, I agree! At least for the first year or two, we should give a wave, or do a quick flash of the lights. Maybe we can start a trend with our SOLS. Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I plan on waving at other roadsters just to stay in practice until I see another Sol. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
We actually covered this a while back:
link to ASL sign for Sun... A good salute!

I'll repost it here for convenience:

HAHAH thats the corniest thing Ive ever seen LOL. thats great. :lol:
I think what we should do is IF WE ARE FORUM MEMBERS, WE FLASH OUR LIGHTS TWICE. if the other doesnt do the same, then we know that the other isnt a forum member.

thats easy isnt it!?
If they flash twice, then we stop on the side of the road and then chat

·
Registered
152 Posts
MITCH said:
I don't see too many vehicles doing the wave thing, BUT, I agree!
Jeep Wrangler owers wave. The "Jeep Wave" is a 50+ year old tradition. It feels good when someone waves to you, or waves back. Kinda like a "club".

I thought about the wave too. If I see another Sol, I'll definitely wave/gesture, something.

I'm sure I will end up at a light one day next to some lucky 18 year old kid who's parents just bought him one and wants to race. I'll let him win and make him feel good. Then I'll wave to his rearview : )

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
How about the universal sign of approval... a good old thumbs up :thumbs:
I plan on doing that to Sols and Skys when I am in my Sky....

·
Registered
142 Posts
toyman said:
I've had mine less than a week, I've never seen another one on the road......until yesterday. I was heading east on a paved road, saw a red one with top down on road from north waiting at the stop sign. Two guys were in it. I honked my horn a few times and waved. I saw they were turning my way, I found a good spot to pull over and chat. They just rode on by, no waves, horn or anything.

Oh well, they must not be Forum members........
I'll have plenty of time to prepare my routine as I've yet to see one, much less two!

·
Registered
278 Posts
whenever i was in my fiero, and i saw another one, i gave the thumbs up, which occasionally led to us on the side of the road chatting, and exchanging tips!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I will hunt down and destroy all other Solstices that cross my path, so that I will be the only one...

Err... Either that or I'll wave. I haven't quite decided yet.

Flagg

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Respond with Solstice Salute! Flash three times for Mores Code "S"

Yup, upon receiving a thumbs up from another driver, or a flash and a wave from another roadster (RODEO), send back a smile, and the Solstice Salute.

If we do this consistently, it will take off. If it's got random participation, it will remain an oddity.

On that original thread, there was much discussion that nearly identically mirrors this discussion. To recap:
  • The Viper guys hold up their first two fingers in a v with the fingers curled down like a pair of fangs.
  • The Miata guys wave and flash their lights.
  • The bikers wave with their first two fingers extended to the side well down below the seat of their bikes.
  • Rural pick-up truck drivers lift their index figer up off of the top of the steering wheel as they pass one another (it's called a finger wave).
  • Solstice pilots should give the Solstice Salute.
Giving the Solstice Salute back to all who wave, give you the thumbs up, or flash their lights is a wonderful friendly gesture which will not be interpreted by anyone as offensive. The smile doesn't hurt either. ;)

If you're going to flash the lights in your Solstice, you should flash three times. The flashes should be brief. The Mores code for "S" is three shorts. So when flashing, send the letter "S" for Solstice. :cool:

·
4,592 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Yup, upon receiving a thumbs up from another driver, or a flash and a wave from another roadster (RODEO), send back a smile, and the Solstice Salute.
I'll send back a:

R = Rodeo

R = short = long = short

My own call sign :thumbs: :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
If you're going to flash the lights in your Solstice, you should flash three times. The flashes should be brief. The Mores code for "S" is three shorts. So when flashing, send the letter "S" for Solstice.
R u kidding? By the time I get to the switch to flash 3 times, the other car will be history... :lol:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Wow! I didn't realize the Viper guys had a corny salute! Let's not try and top them, tho...

We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you!

It's early... I'm grumpy :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts