Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum because I plan to buy my first Solstice soon. After months of researching this gem, I have narrowed it down to a very low mileage (5800) GXP for $15,500 or a used GXP with low miles (45,000) for $11,000. Both are one owners with auto transmissions. The one with only 5,800 miles has original tires that will need to be replace adding $800 to the cost. My question; is the difference in price worth 39,000 miles??

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
do you have a color preference ?
do the cars have maintence records ?

it seems to me that you will do the same work for both cars:
  • new tires
  • check battery
  • replace oil
  • check anti-freeze and replace if needed
  • brake fluid replacement if not documented
read this thread , maybe it will help you decide... -> buying a Solstice

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
As Sirwm said, you should probably doing the same time of maintenance on either of them at this age. Low mileage doesn't mean that things don't gunk up due to lack of use.

Only you can answer if the lower mileage is worth it. All depends upon how much you plan on driving it. If you're buying it as a "collectible", your grandkids will appreciate that because they might make a little money off it some day.

Personally, I'd buy the one that appeals to you most, get ready to grin a lot, and drive it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd rather buy a vehicle that has been well maintained with a little higher mileage than one that has been sitting and not been driven for most of its life.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Water pumps seem to need replacing on these, and there doesn't seem to be an easily identifiable catalyst as to why. Dealer replacement cost is around $1,300-1,500. Sometimes the higher mileage cars have already had that replaced.

If a low mileage car is important to you, then go that route. If the higher mileage car is in just as good of shape as the low mileage one, then I'd personally go for it.

These cars seem to run well into the 100,000's - either car will most likely provide you with more miles to drive than you can probably put on them, unless it's a daily driver.

There are always other cars out there, too. My dad bought a 08 red auto GXP yesterday for $9,000 out the door - 65k miles, immaculate garage kept, all dealer maint records including water pump change and rear diff change at 20k. For the price of the one with 5,800 miles plus tires, you could get real close to a Solstice with a V8 or a coupe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ignore the mileage and look at the condition of the vehicle, and availability of maintenance records. Hopefully you can get a sense of the way the prior owner took care of it? I’ve been driving my 2006 Solstice as a daily commuter and have 217,000 miles on it. It’s a great car that should be driven and enjoyed, not babied and kept as a museum piece, IMHO.
Life’s short - Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with weezer888.

5800 miles, guessing 2008 as year of manufacturer, is only 483 miles per year.

I would not purchase a car that has been sitting most of it's life. A vehicle needs more exercising than that.

I bought a 2008 GXP in 2006 with 13,000 miles. That is 1,600 miles/year. That is a more reasonable low miles.

But as someone said, color and options could be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water pumps seem to need replacing on these, and there doesn't seem to be an easily identifiable catalyst as to why. Dealer replacement cost is around $1,300-1,500. Sometimes the higher mileage cars have already had that replaced.

If a low mileage car is important to you, then go that route. If the higher mileage car is in just as good of shape as the low mileage one, then I'd personally go for it.

These cars seem to run well into the 100,000's - either car will most likely provide you with more miles to drive than you can probably put on them, unless it's a daily driver.

There are always other cars out there, too. My dad bought a 08 red auto GXP yesterday for $9,000 out the door - 65k miles, immaculate garage kept, all dealer maint records including water pump change and rear diff change at 20k. For the price of the one with 5,800 miles plus tires, you could get real close to a Solstice with a V8 or a coupe!
I agree with weezer888.

5800 miles, guessing 2008 as year of manufacturer, is only 483 miles per year.

I would not purchase a car that has been sitting most of it's life. A vehicle needs more exercising than that.

I bought a 2008 GXP in 2006 with 13,000 miles. That is 1,600 miles/year. That is a more reasonable low miles.

But as someone said, color and options could be the deciding factor.
Now I'm thinking about buying a coupe, never thought about one until your post. What are the advantages of a coupe vs a convertible?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Now I'm thinking about buying a coupe, never thought about one until your post. What are the advantages of a coupe vs a convertible?
Your hair stays in place.

No real "advantage" other than the "cool factor" and more $$. A lot fewer coupes were made than 'verts, but mechanically they're basically the same car.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
If it was me I'd buy the lower mileage car your basically getting a new car . There is nothing wrong with putting limited mileage yearly on a car the problem comes in when the car sits and is not run to get the fluids circulating . As mentioned above simple preventative maintenance should be the only thing required tires /battery /coolant if they are OEM , oil and filter change , the trans is fine . No real advantage as far as a coupe or convertible other than you will be paying a higher price for a coupe,because of their limited production run ,with the same options and mileage just a matter of personal choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts