Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Signed up for a couple runs during the 2017 NASSAM event. I need suggestions on acceptable walkie talkies to purchase for this purpose. It will be the first Kappa event run for me since 2008. Back then I was loaned a walkie talkie but figured since I now know that a walkie talkie is a required necessity for this type of event I need to procure an acceptable set that won't hurt the wallet too much.

Any advice would be much appreciated since I know nothing about these devices. :dunno:

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
Pretty much any FRS (Family Radio Service) band radio is good. I am partial to Motorola, but they are all pretty comparable. I do recommend rechargeable.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John

·
Administrator
9,696 Posts
Hence the reason they make both kinds. I have never had the rechargeable run down during a run, but one has gotten pretty low.
Activities that need more radio than a run could be a problem, but driving is all I use them for, and I prefer to not use disposables.
I have a spare rechargeable that I ave never needed, and mine will also use AAs in an emergency. They do cost more, of course.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
I have a set of Motorolas that charge via USB. So I can charge them in the car if need be

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
You may also want to look into purchasing the headset option, keeps the hands free for driving and better clarity if you are going topless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts