Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have put in my order and am totally sold on the Solstice, what car/cars in the past (when they first came out) had that WOW factor, but looking back you find yourself asking "What was I thinking?". One more preface IMO, is that this car is going to hold it's WOW factor. Here's mine:

- Toyota MR2
- Fiero

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, the first MR2s were not that bad!

mikeytex said:
Now that I have put in my order and am totally sold on the Solstice, what car/cars in the past (when they first came out) had that WOW factor, but looking back you find yourself asking "What was I thinking?". One more preface IMO, is that this car is going to hold it's WOW factor. Here's mine:

- Toyota MR2
- Fiero
The original MR2 was a rocket with the turbro in it. (200+ hp for that little car!) Lots of Wow in that little car at the time. It was such a rocket that you could often check out who was following you by looking out the windshield. That baby would change ends faster than old racing Porsches, if you were not careful on rainy days. The price was not bad, and they flat hauled. And, they had a trunk (sort of) and spare and jack, etc. Looking back on them now, they look very boxy and I see no "Wow!" now. Your point is well made.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The original MR2 had no turbo. there was an SC model in 88-89. Boxy, yes. Still unique and rare. a great car and handles better out of the box than many cars to this day. Nothing better for handling than mid engine, rear drive 2 seater. and trading ends in the rain is fun!! however, I agree, it does not have WOW factor any more.

Having said that, I own both an 87 MR2 and a 2K Spyder, so yeah I'm biased. the Spyder still has plenty of WOW and I'm guessing it always will. I get people to this day asking me what it is, how much. guesses up to $45k. NO regrets, no buyers remorse, no "what was I thinking".

I think the Sol will hold it's wow factor for quite some time - in terms of looks. We'll see how it stands the test of time in terms of reliability. I'm guessing 20 years from now, it will be quite rare in the same way that the Fiero is rare today. The ones that survive 20 years will be very rare. Then it will be truly valuable.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
The only car that "wowed" me was the Miata back in '90.
Now, it just looks like the bar of soap everyone talks about since there's no distinguishing style changes to admire.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I got WOWed with a VW Sirocco...everbody goes " a what??"
It's tough to pick the new 54 Corvette. :cool:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Austin Healy 3000 was always my dream car

·
Registered
705 Posts
I saw the latest Impala for the first time close to a year before it hit the street at an autoshow, raised high on a slanted platform. I said "Wow, my next car".

Went to the dealer when they came out and thought "my god, was I drunk?" As you say "what was I thinking"!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Healey made music out the back

Critterman said:
Austin Healy 3000 was always my dream car
In addition to still holding its Wow," that Austin Healey (all models) made the most beautiful noice out the back of any sports car ever made, regardless of price. . . . Still has the Wow!

David in AZ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
solli4me said:
The only car that "wowed" me was the Miata back in '90.
Now, it just looks like the bar of soap everyone talks about since there's no distinguishing style changes to admire.
Forgot about that one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My heart still skips a beat every time I see an MGB. I may not know beans about style and performance, but I enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of my old rust bucket '73 "Bee". Rest it's soul. :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
that is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors!

It just goes to show you that we all have a different set of values as to what rings our bell. I know not if they are learned or we are born with them, but they seldom change. I have always been in love with the Type C Jag, and the front sort of reminds me of the Sol, so there you are.

"I'll take two scoops of butter-pecan on a sugar cone, please. No, wait, make that one scoop of strawberry (on the bottom) and one scoop of butter-pecan."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dream cars

Yes the Healey 3000 is a gem. I always wanted a Lotus Super 7. :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
There has never been a car nicer than an Austin Healey 3000, IMHO. The Solstice will be number two on my hit parade.

·
Registered
854 Posts
AZJuez said:
The original MR2 was a rocket with the turbro in it. (200+ hp for that little car!) Lots of Wow in that little car at the time. It was such a rocket that you could often check out who was following you by looking out the windshield. That baby would change ends faster than old racing Porsches, if you were not careful on rainy days. The price was not bad, and they flat hauled. And, they had a trunk (sort of) and spare and jack, etc. Looking back on them now, they look very boxy and I see no "Wow!" now. Your point is well made.
The second generation MR2, made from 1990-1997 worldwide (notice my name).

http://www.engine-power.com/toyota/mr2_5.html

Truly hot car. The Turbo Solstice is the only car that has gotten me excited to own in a decade.

The MR2 was great on the track and Solo2, the mid engine design was not for beginners though, easy to spin out with all that weight shifting in turns, lift the throttle and you were done. I spun mine plenty of time in wet and dry.

Very similar to the Solstice, people were bolting Toyota V6's into them and adding superchargers, or just going with big T67 turbos or TD06 turbos. T-Tops were nice.

The version they released in japan made close to 245hp stock, and by turning up the boost you had just under 300hp to play with. Those engines are always being imported and dumped into US cars.

Same seating position as the solstice too.

The newer MKIII Spyder just didn't do it for me, underpowered and SMALL.

·
Registered
854 Posts
denette said:
I got WOWed with a VW Sirocco...everbody goes " a what??"
It's tough to pick the new 54 Corvette. :cool:
VW Corrado was a unique car I really liked, just didn't want to commit to the repairs.

Same goes for the Mazda RX7 FD, great car, but it will kill you in repair bills from friends that had them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
There has never been a car nicer than an Austin Healey 3000, IMHO. The Solstice will be number two on my hit parade.
:agree:
Back in 1967 I lusted after a Healey 3000 in the car dealers showroom... and the sticker price was "only" $3650.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have owned a few too many "what was I thinking?" vehicles. You can usually grade them on how long they took up garage space until they went bye-bye!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The very worst "What was I thinking car" . . .

I once got a "smoking deal" on an old Porsche 914. It was smokin' alright. What a beater. I was lucky to have it painted by the local technical high school for the cost of the paint, and then I traded it in on my wife's new Infinity G35 Coupe. Applying that beater to a nice car for my wife was the smartest trade-in I ever made. We all have brain farts, huh?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts