Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Editguy and I were having a friendly debate in another thread and this topic came up. Instead of spending time doing research, I thought I'd be lazy and just post a thread here.

So what was the first SUV, official and/or unofficial?

Suburbans are pretty darned old I know. Would a Jeep be considered an SUV? Or is a Jeep a Jeep? Land Rover? AMC Eagle? Model T?:lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Bonzo said:
Editguy and I were having a friendly debate in another thread and this topic came up. Instead of spending time doing research, I thought I'd be lazy and just post a thread here.

Suburbans are pretty darned old I know. Would a Jeep be considered an SUV? Or is a Jeep a Jeep? Land Rover? AMC Eagle? Model T?:lol:
I vote for the Eagle becasue I think it incorporated most of the elments of contemporary SUV's, whereas the original suburban did not. It was more of the combo car/truck that we call SUV's than anything before it had been. AMC was just ahead of the trend, much to their misfortune.

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
Bonzo said:

A quick "google" turned up this:

http://www.carofthecentury.com/buick_had_the_first_suv,_ever.htm

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MomsSol said:
Ah yes, the old Buick El Kineno, how obvious was that. Not! :willy:

Check this thing out!!! It's got built in booz and rifle holders!!! That's what everyone needs. :lol: A car that holds your booz while you're drinking and driving, with rifles at arms reach so you can shoot things while you run into others!!!! That would go over big in the back hills of Tennessee!!! Hell, this even looks like a car from Tennessee, put together with parts from all the clunkers in the back yard. :lol:

Classic! Thanks MomsSol.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Bonzo said:

Check this thing out!!! It's got built in booz and rifle holders!!! That's what everyone needs. :lol: A car that holds your booz while you're drinking and driving, with rifles at arms reach so you can shoot things while you run into others!!!! That would go over big in the back hills of Tennessee!!! Hell, this even looks like a car from Tennessee, put together with parts from all the clunkers in the back yard. :lol:

Classic! Thanks MomsSol.
:glol: Okay, Bonzo, you made me laugh out loud. Now people are staring at me.

·
4,592 Posts
I always considered the Toyota 4Runner a early SUV as it was a pickup with an attached shell.

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Interesting, but to my way of thinking, the first successful, truly modern suvs, would be the Cherokee and Explorer.

The earlier Bronco's/Blazers are close, but the mid size 4 doors are what burst open the floodgates.

Not that anyone cares but me, but Pontiac has always called the Aztek a SRV, sport recreational vehicle. What the heck does that mean?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bonzo said:

Classic! Thanks MomsSol.
And you say this like it's a bad thing.......Heck fire, booz and guns have always gone together here whether we might be **** hunting or other socializing.......

·
Registered
340 Posts
There are many that could claim to be the first SUV depending on how you look at it. I think the first Ford Bronco that came out created an entirely new genre. Followed by Blazers, Jimmys, Ramchargers, Cherokees. The Suburban has been around forever and could also be considered. I like to think the Jeep was the first Sport/Utility Vehicle.

But these all preceeded the term SUV which was coined sometime in the late '80's. Also the SUV is not an accurate name based on the fact that SUV's, since the term was coined, are more about luxury, comfort and convenience than Sport or Utility. The Jeep Cherokee was probably the pioneer of that group.

So my vote is Jeep CJ for first SUV (sport utility vehicle)
and Jeep Cherokee for first LUV (luxury utility vehicle)

On a side note, I don't think any real 4x4 should have power windows, climate control or heated leather seats. Maybe I am old school, but I prefer simplicity.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AztekzRpurty said:
Interesting, but to my way of thinking, the first successful, truly modern suvs, would be the Cherokee and Explorer.

The earlier Bronco's/Blazers are close, but the mid size 4 doors are what burst open the floodgates.

Not that anyone cares but me, but Pontiac has always called the Aztek a SRV, sport recreational vehicle. What the heck does that mean?
I have to disagree with you on a few things. First, if I remember correctly, the S-10 Blazer was years ahead of the Explorer, and it was very successful. Pre-Explorer Ford had the Bronco 2, and it was succesful too. 4 doors an SUV does not make, as one might say. An SUV can have 2 doors just fine. You wouldn't deny a Yukon GT Z-71 from SUV status would you? So the Explorer was a late commer to the party so to speak, no where near the first SUV.

Suburbans came way before Bronco's and Blazers, and they had the 4 doors you want. Suburbans were also very common, but not like today. But they did had options like power door locks and power windows etc, and there were all kinds of aftermarket companies to get custom leather seats etc. So compared to many other cars, they were fairly luxurious.

You're right, nobody cares about your Aztek. :lol: Get a Rendevous instead, it looks better! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
There are many that could claim to be the first SUV depending on how you look at it. I think the first Ford Bronco that came out created an entirely new genre. Followed by Blazers, Jimmys, Ramchargers, Cherokees. The Suburban has been around forever and could also be considered. I like to think the Jeep was the first Sport/Utility Vehicle.

But these all preceeded the term SUV which was coined sometime in the late '80's. Also the SUV is not an accurate name based on the fact that SUV's, since the term was coined, are more about luxury, comfort and convenience than Sport or Utility. The Jeep Cherokee was probably the pioneer of that group.

So my vote is Jeep CJ for first SUV (sport utility vehicle)
and Jeep Cherokee for first LUV (luxury utility vehicle)

On a side note, I don't think any real 4x4 should have power windows, climate control or heated leather seats. Maybe I am old school, but I prefer simplicity.
http://www.gmtoday.com/content/NSL/2003/July/14.asp "precursor to the modern SUV" and http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=279 seems teh first SUV was produced in 1946, as I would agree. I had a late fifties four-door jeep that was actually fun for a teenager without a license to drive on the farm. Brook Stevens is also the designer, among other things, of teh Oscar Mayer Weinermobile.

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Bonzo said:
I have to disagree with you on a few things. First, if I remember correctly, the S-10 Blazer was years ahead of the Explorer, and it was very successful. Pre-Explorer Ford had the Bronco 2, and it was succesful too. 4 doors an SUV does not make, as one might say. An SUV can have 2 doors just fine. You wouldn't deny a Yukon GT Z-71 from SUV status would you? So the Explorer was a late commer to the party so to speak, no where near the first SUV.

Suburbans came way before Bronco's and Blazers, and they had the 4 doors you want. Suburbans were also very common, but not like today. But they did had options like power door locks and power windows etc, and there were all kinds of aftermarket companies to get custom leather seats etc. So compared to many other cars, they were fairly luxurious.

You're right, nobody cares about your Aztek. :lol: Get a Rendevous instead, it looks better! :yesnod:
I know all the suv'ish things that came first. It's just my OPINION, that the first vehicles that defined the MODERN suv, were the cherokee, then the explorer. But opinions are like hiney holes, everybody has one. (like yours about the Rendevous, yuck!) :lol:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you think a Sport Utility Vehicle is. Is it a 4 wheel off road vehicle or a gentleman farmer's vehicle that can haul a reasonable amount while providing a luxurious ride at the same time.

My vote would be the 1955 Chevrolet Nomad. High style and ride with the ability to deliver the goods.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts