1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this article, Feb 2004...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=7724

I noticed this statement:

The concept was an estimated 2860 pounds; the real-world roadster is about 350 pounds heftier.
350 pounds heavier would put it at 3210. That's pretty heavy...

If there is any truth in the statement, it's enough to put the power/weight ratio back down with the base miata, but with an extra 700+ lbs to maneuver. AAMOF, it's corvette weight...

Any reliable evidence that the production version will still be 2860?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Coppied from the official Sky PDF on the Saturn site.

WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS
Curb weight 2,860 lbs.
Weight distribution Near 50/50
Length 161.1 in.
Wheelbase 95.1 in.
Track (front / rear) 60.5 in. / 61.2 in.
Width 71.4 in.
Height 50.1 in.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see it as this way. There is no reliable evidence either way. I am not sure why Car and Driver is saying that, but I just don't see where on this roadster GM would go with 350 more pounds of car. At 3210, its heavier than a Corvette convertable (3199). So having a Solstice that heavy just doesn't make any sense since its not as big as a Corvette.

I bet GM tried to get their estimated weight close to what they figured the production car will come in at. I wouldn't expect the final weight to be much different. If it does come in at 3200+ pounds, its going to be far too heavy. Not just from a horsepower perspective, but in the handling department too.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope it's right(Edit: the sky pdf). You know me and my love for power/weight ratio. This could actually be a deal breaker for me if it is too heavy.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Looking at this article, Feb 2004...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=7724

I noticed this statement:

350 pounds heavier would put it at 3210. That's pretty heavy...

If there is any truth in the statement, it's enough to put the power/weight ratio back down with the base miata, but with an extra 700+ lbs to maneuver. AAMOF, it's corvette weight...

Any reliable evidence that the production version will still be 2860?
Sky',

Since then, ALL other articles, including the most recent pamphlets and specs coming from GM have pretty much shown that the car and driver blurb is a big-time misunderstanding.

Just wrong, outdated information.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Good. That one had me scared for a second.
Fear not. If it were real, we would have all been SQUAWKING!!!

A 3200 lb 95" wheelbase car? Volvo, anyone? Might be good for minesweeping....

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
This could actually be a deal breaker for me if it is too heavy.
You wouldn't be alone in that thinking. It probably would have been a deal breaker for me too if it was that overweight. If it came in at 3200 lbs, the car would be absolutely trashed by the press, on internet forums, and by enthusiats all around. GM would need some really good magicians to make that weight disappear in the car's driving feel! :lol: Heck, a lot of people are already upset at its 2860 estimated weight, thinking its too heavy!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You would end up with a 18.1 lbs/HP ratio, which would be horendous compared to all the other Roadsters out there.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
You would end up with a 18.1 lbs/HP ratio, which would be horendous compared to all the other Roadsters out there.
Yep, pretty much an armoured minesweeper.

0-60 measured using the calendar...

Have we beat this dead horse enough yet? :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
solsticeman said:
Yep, pretty much an armoured minesweeper.

0-60 measured using the calendar...

Have we beat this dead horse enough yet? :lol:

Man with that weight this thing would have horrible handling and take off, it would be pointless.

lol just thought ild beat the horse a lil more lol :lol: :devil:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
goalscore247 said:
lol just thought ild beat the horse a lil more lol :lol: :devil:
:glol: :lol:

Anyone else like to take a whack? Dead horse, here! Get 'cho whacks on a dead horse here!!!

It's like the SNL skit with Tom Hanks,

"EEEewwww! This milk is spoiled! Here, TASTE!"

"AAHHHCHCHCHHhhhh! You're right, here, YOU try it..."

"BLLLLphphhffff! You two are right, it IS spoiled! Here, YOU try it...."

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Any chance they could surprise us with a lower weight? The 2860 figure was published in early 2004. I know they have republished it recently in the prelim specs. Could they have accurately guaged the weight of the final product to the pound in Jan 2004?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
:glol: :lol:

Anyone else like to take a whack? Dead horse, here! Get 'cho whacks on a dead horse here!!!

It's like the SNL skit with Tom Hanks,

"EEEewwww! This milk is spoiled! Here, TASTE!"

"AAHHHCHCHCHHhhhh! You're right, here, YOU try it..."

"BLLLLphphhffff! You two are right, it IS spoiled! Here, YOU try it...."
Sure, don't mind if I do. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
mceb said:
Any chance they could surprise us with a lower weight? The 2860 figure was published in early 2004. I know they have republished it recently in the prelim specs. Could they have accurately guaged the weight of the final product to the pound in Jan 2004?
I think they could have. It's no secret how much, give or take, a car will weigh if you know it's configuration, architecture, engine size, and general dimensions.

If that's within 10 lbs, does it really matter? 2830, 2870, it's all the same - I bet I'm carrying more around my gut than that :) (the differences, not the absolute).

·
4,592 Posts
brentil said:
Sure, don't mind if I do. :D
Off to the peanut gallery with you and your animation, see you in avatar fun and games :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Come on, 3200 lbs is not that bad. A passenger adds an average of 200 lbs. So a Sol with two grown men is going to hit 3200 already. If you are that concerned with weight, take out the passenger seat. You loose 30lbs and avoid the possibility of another 200. Ballast is bad enough, but COMPLAINING ballast? Oh, and stop eating. That extra 30lbs some of us are carrying around just KILLS 0-60 times. The Sol has no spare tire, and neither should YOU! Never put more than a dollar of gas in at a time. There is no use in carrying around an entire 30 miles worth of gas. In between my Dickies, wallet and change, I wear about 4 lb of clothes. The Sol goes topless, so should you.(ladies, you know where this is going :confused: ). Don't even get me started with the AC. 40-60lb of pure useless luxury. Besides, with no clothes and the top down, you'll be plenty cool. Oh, and cut off your hair. Then again, judging by the age poll, there's probably scarcely a pound of it between us all. Get rid of that anchor of silica that is the rear window. Just duct tape over the hole like the Mazda NA guys do. It's hip to be DIY retro. If you are REALLY hard core, take a crap before you go driving, that Tacobell you ate is keeping you from the 1.0g turns and upsetting the 50/50 weight distribution and it's not good for you anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
3200 lbs CURB IS that bad...
... for a car with no trunk, and even the question of whether someone will fit in it, with only 177 HP....

<whack whack whack>

I think I read somewhere that 0-60 times for a given car change (increase) by 0.1 to 0.15 for every 100 lbs you add to a car.

So if it's 0-60 in 7.2 at 2860 lbs, that means really more like 7.6 seconds for a 3200 pounder.

OR, conversely (even though it wouldn't make sense with calculations and power:weight ratio at a 200# driver), if somehow 177 HP were to magically be able to propel 3400 lbs. 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, then at 2860, we'd be talking 0-60 in 6.9 seconds....

... and we'd all be talking about how inaccurate the 0-60 time is, how there's no way, blah-blah-blah.

<whack whack whack>

2860 + 200 lb driver = 3060 lbs, 177 hp is pretty much in line with low 7's 0-60. 3400 lbs at 177 hp is high 7 seconds 0-60.

Fun quarter mile calculator for your entertainment:

http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html

I couldn't find the other fun calcuator I had before, but given 1/4 mile time and speed, you can also get a rough calculation of 0-60...

http://www.tweak3d.net/videos/calcs/sixty.shtml

·
5,600 Posts
The article is riddled with errors rumored to be true 6 months ago. It looks to have been posted for no other reason than to generate controversy and elicit a reaction. The curb weight has never been in dispute.

:brentil: indeed.

I call your :brentil: and raise you :mad:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jimbo said:
The article is riddled with errors rumored to be true 6 months ago. It looks to have been posted for no other reason than to generate controversy and elicit a reaction. The curb weight has never been in dispute.

:brentil: indeed.

I call your :brentil: and raise you :mad:
Wow you're smart. You figured out my whole master plan! I'll let you all in on a little secret. 6 months ago I found this article and thought to myself, gee, self, this would sure get a reaction out of Jimbo. All I have to do is wait 6 months, have somebody else locate this article and try to prove me wrong with it on a totally different subject in a totally different thread, pretend that I just noticed that statement, and then post it to the forum just to see his head pop and go up in flames, and then I could rule the world. Boy, self, that would be a gas.

Guess I screwed it up when I asked people to disprove it and when they immediately did, I accepted it and went on with life. I really should have argued that the kappa was too fat to get out of its own way and would handle like 76 suburban on four flat tires. Damn, so close to ruling the world. Oh well at least I "elicited a reaction" from Jimbo.

Please. The only person who had a "reaction" was you.

How about next time taking personal problems to PM or emailing the moderator if you think I'm trolling or baiting.

Personally, I thought the thread was fine, up until now. Thanks buddy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts