Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What will you do with your front plate?

• Leave It Off

Votes: 247 49.7%
  • Put It On With Factory Bracket

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Modify/Move it

Votes: 59 11.9%
  • Fortunately, I don't live In a state which requires one.

Votes: 141 28.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm gonna have to run with my front plate on (daily vehicle inspection at work doesn't give me any other choice). I'm hoping that I can mount the factory provided front bracket using something other than the double-faced tape it comes with. Since I'm not a First 1000, there will probably be a lot of good options provided by other forum members before my car gets here.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mcbman said:
double-faced tape it comes with?
I didn't hear about that? Was there a thread on this?
I think there were some photos from the First 1000 party last week. Let me take a look for them.

Okay, here is Terpfan's thread with the pictures of the actual bracket, http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3862

If you are too lazy to check out the thread, here are the pics.

The four posts locate the bracket within the grill, and it is affixed by the tape strip running down the center.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Required by LAW :devil: in NY.Will put it on and leave it on,a fine is not worth the vanity. :cool:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dengel said:
I think there were some photos from the First 1000 party last week. Let me take a look for them.

Okay, here is Terpfan's thread with the pictures of the actual bracket, http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3862

If you are too lazy to check out the thread, here are the pics.

The four posts locate the bracket within the grill, and it is affixed by the tape strip running down the center.
Thanks dengel. Don't know how I missed that one!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wonder if there is some way to drill a hole in each post on the backside of the plate holder? Then we could use some very large washers or a small metal bracket to hold the plate holder onto the grill from the backside. It would seem this would work if we can get a hand up behind the grill. I hate the thought of using the tape, but I have to have the plate on the car.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ojohnson said:
I wonder if there is some way to drill a hole in each post on the backside of the plate holder? Then we could use some very large washers or a small metal bracket to hold the plate holder onto the grill from the backside. It would seem this would work if we can get a hand up behind the grill. I hate the thought of using the tape, but I have to have the plate on the car.
I had the same idea. See my previous post in the previous thread attached to this thread above. When I asked for other ideas no one replied. I figured no one cared.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will leave it off. I live in new york, I ripped my front plate off my truck on a snow bank two years ago. It still sits over my work bench in my shop. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry, I missed your suggestion earlier. I skimmed the post and all I saw was talk about beer.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
We were talking about Grizzly beer specifically. Sorry, it's not been made since 1991 when Molsen bought the rights from Amstel. Ever heard of it?

But back to the factory bracket, does anyone have any other ideas how to use it other than the obvious and the 2 we've explored already?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Leave it off

My front plate got ripped off my current car when it was towed awhile back and I never put it back on and haven't been stopped for it. I see numerous sports cars without front plates and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them either. I also heard that the Illinois legislature was looking into a "corvette" rule whereby vettes wouldn't have to use them. This provides me an argument in court if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
NO Front Brackets!

mcbman said:
Just a quick poll to see what everyone intends to do about their front plates!
Front plates aren't required in NC, but all the dealer's prep guys put on brackets and stick in advert plates. I specifically told them no front bracket on my 2003 Envoy and it was there when I went to pick it up. 2 nice holes in the front bumper. :devil:

At least they won't be drilling holes in the Sol. :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I plan on modifying the plate, itself, as well as maybe the mounting location. Thinking about bending it under to match the front contour and trimming a half inch off both the top and bottom of the plate (the area often covered by a frame). If bent right, it shouldn't disrupt air flow. If need be, it could be mounted to the right of the grill and left of the fog light. I know this is technically illegal, but, I'm betting, an oncoming police car wouldn't notice. My hope is he'll just be checking to make sure there's someplace to bounce his Lazar.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
sol4soul said:
My front plate got ripped off my current car when it was towed awhile back and I never put it back on and haven't been stopped for it. I see numerous sports cars without front plates and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them either. I also heard that the Illinois legislature was looking into a "corvette" rule whereby vettes wouldn't have to use them. This provides me an argument in court if it comes down to it.

We've had a monte carlo since 2000 (2001 Model) and never put the front plate on. Our state has a front plate. But I never had any trouble in 5 years.

Zero/zipper ct.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1) I live in NY and hate front plate. I get fines and pay them, no big deal.

2) That double sided tape MIGHT be able to be replaced with a foam covered metal piece or magnet with foam over it to protect the paint. And a similar type thing on the inside of the front part of the car.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In Maryland, we do have front plates ... but I'll be buggin' the heck out of my state senators and legislators to change THAT! Meanwhile, I'm planning on leaving it off.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts