Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you all are like me, you are just hoping there is nothing in the Solstice that would cause you to have to walk away from it to purchase another vehicle. What (issue/item) would cause you NOT to buy a Solstice?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Reasons I would walk away:
-Dealer gouging (not a dime over MSRP, and if employee pricing is available, then I'd expect to be able to get that through GM association).
-MSRP for the base above 20,000, or unreasonable pricing for options (like the base is $19,995, but it's $3600 to add leather seats only, or $2500 for the stereo upgrade - that's just bait and switch). I guess this means a loaded Solstice better be below 26,000 or 27,000 or I'll bail

Those are the main reasons. I would have bailed if the production car varied significantly from the concept. I also would have bailed if the autorags had crapped all over the performance/handling/etc. on initial ride. I would have bailed if the power to weight ratio were any worse than the miata. It appears, however, that GM is doing a good job of showing us a hot looking car, productionizing is successfully, then backing up the looks with true performance.

Areas I'm concerned about, that may influence me but not be total deal breakers:
-Luggage space: I'd like some. Not expecting much, but the MR2 is not reasonable - they say 2 cubic feet or something like that but its bull----!
-Top up/down ease. Love it one-handed operation, like the miata - looks to be more complicated than that. If it takes more than 3 minutes to up/down the top, I'd rather have a stowable removable hardtop than put up with the crap every time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chip said:
.... What (issue/item) would cause you NOT to buy a Solstice?
I don't expect any of the items below to be an issue, but if any of them did turn up in the production model, I would probably opt out:

- Sloppy steering
- Excessive engine vibration (to the point where it is unpleasant to rev it)
- Poor handling
- Sloppy shifter feel
- Spongy brakes
- Interior that is far from the pre-production model in terms of appearance

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Almost nothing. I'd hate and complain about all that you've mentioned but I think I'd still buy one. The only thing that would prevent me from getting one is if I couldn't fit my 6'-4" head under the roof or had problems seeing out the windshield. And even then, I'd look into after market seats before I gave up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm with DreamerDave, there's pretty much nothing that would disuade me.

The only thing would be if my sitting position blocks the guages with the steering wheel. The lack of a Supercharger option will greatly decrease my interest, but will not stop me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealer price gouging #1 and formost.I walked away from another car because
of this and would walk away again. Manufacturers should control thier dealers
to maintain thier reputations as a company people would want to do busines with. #2 Solstice being excluded from any financing deals or promotions pontiac has going on at time of release. 0% financing on everything except this model or that model never sits right with me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, so far you all have made valid points and those apply for me to! Except there is one MAJOR problem that could keep me from getting my solstice and that's my parents! So far they have said I can, but it all depends on how the next year turns out! But, if it wasn't for my parents I'd buy one in the blink of an eye!
By the way, welcome to the forum wwp!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Dealer gouging. While they are raising the price other roasters will be giving rebates reducing the price gap on the competition.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Dealer gouging is certainly high on my list too. I refuse to pay over MSRP for this or any other car. Even MSRP is probably on the high side, especially for a GM offering. Eventually it will be available under MSRP, possibly with some sort of rebate. However, I doubt this will happen for a while, so to get the car MSRP will have to be it. Besides, at its estimated price it is already a great value!

However, gouging won't last, and I am sure there will be a dealer somewhere that will sell them at a fair price. I believe GTOJ on this forum (A supporting dealer) has already announced he won't be selling them over MSRP.

The number one thing that could keep me out of the seat is dissappointing performance. Either in acceleration or handling. That 170 HP sounds like enough, but if its like a Honda S2000 that doesn't get you to the power until north of 7000 RPM's or so, its not going to be all that satisfying of a car for me to drive in normal daily driving. Also, if this car drives like its way too heavy, or has other really noticeable/bad handling traits I will be equally turned off.

Now, I do not expect any of these performance gremlins, and based on all the initial drives it does not appear they exist. The biggest concern is the weight, but it appears the suspension and wheels should be up to the task of managing the weight, and anything under 3000 pounds isn't that bad anyway (even if its a little heavy for its size).

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
If it doesn't start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I intend this to be my only car, space for me and space for some stuff is critical. I was going to get an MR2 until I found that I could only pack in a box of Twinkies. The top is a big consern for me too. Manual is ok, getting out and opening the trunk is ok, but if it gets to be more involved (securing buttresses and the like) then it becomes more hassle then its worth.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The one thing that would kill the deal for me would be a total lack of usable trunk space. I need a little room, not alot, but reasonable so I don't have to FedEx my luggage to the hotel.

Other things that might, but probably not kill the deal:
1) Cumbersome stupid top design
2) A much better offering from Mazda
3) Bad seating position.

I don't worry about gouging because I know I can get the car somewhere for a fair price and I'm willing to wait. I don't have to be the first on the block to have one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I thought of another:

I wouldn't get a Solstice if they announce a Supercharged Solstice will be available sometime within a year or so of the base model! Or if there are even strong rumors that the higher HP version is around the corner.

If its going to be a while, I'll get the base car and enjoy it for a while, and then decide if I want to trade up down the road (I am assuming these things will have decent resale based on their desirability, and low initial price making them a good value to begin with).

·
Registered
600 Posts
The only stopper would be the total loss of my left leg. It's close enough to fit most everyone's needs at this point. Power add ons will be forthcoming from many avenues both after market or factory; so this isn't a problem for now.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
REV IT UP said:
Its all in the "Test Drive" for me. I love the look now lets see how it feels! :cool
So if i'm not impressed with how it handles, then i'll walk away. :rolleyes
I cannot imagine this car handling poorly, but your right. A test drive certainly is can be the deal maker or deal breaker!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts