Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've touched on this topic in previous threads, but just thought I'd bring it up again. Just curious what types of modifications/enhancements/changes would you make to your Solstice?

I know some people just want to drive it off the dealership floor and take it for a spin. Then there are others who want to make a few minor mods (air intake/possible exhaust/chip the engine). And I'm sure there are other people out there that want to radically change the car from stock. I find myself somewhere in the middle. Not sure if I want to wait for the higher hp engine (another year!!!), but at the same time want the best performance for the value.

So I pose the question, What would you do?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll probably wait for the higher output engine. I'd prefer factory engineering to aftermarket parts. On the other hand, I'd be willing to take the intake/exhaust route if the base car was capable of meeting my performance needs with those modifications. From what I'm hearing, I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i'll be waiting for the higher output version, THEN i'll be perfecting it more with even more mods, definitely intake, header, exhaust (if s/c), and probobly some fuel management, etc. i don't know if suspension will be something to worry about with this car, but it can only get better if a company like eibach gets in the mix, and possibly swap out for a twin screw blower (again, if s/c).

other than that, i'll probobly put in a carputer for GPS, mp3 jukebox and radio, upgrade the speakers, tint the windows (even though they'll be down most of the time) and probobly call it quits from there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have never been much for making major changes to the car, aside from a few minor things. By minor, I mean I will often replace stereo components, wheels, maybe add foglights to vehicles that don’t have them, things like that. However, I do not like messing with modifications to the drive train. I like keeping my cars reliable and do not like the thought of changing things that add a reliability unknown. Especially on a new car with a warranty. If the Solstice does not have the power I really want, I will get a higher output version when its available from GM. However, I think I will be pleased with the base Solstice as is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like we all want the higher output engine. It's just such a long time off before it becomes available. What a dilemma.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I also would wait for the high performance engine, or at least make sure GM Perofmrance Parts would be making a bolt on kit for it. When I buy a new car I only want to put factory parts on it while under warranty. The warranty is a part of what my money is going to when I get it, so voiding it is kinda like just throwing money away. When the warranty is gone though I'm more inclined to do work on it. Till then my project car is what gets the modifications and upgrades.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
New 17" wheels for sure. Custom wheels really individualize the car easily. Will tint the windows, again quick and easy trick. New K&N air box. If I can't have a supercharger, at least I can make it sound like one without the factory induction muffler. Because I love the way the hood opens, I'll dress up that area. Will remove the Tupperware engine cover and polish what aluminium parts I can easily get to with a Dremil drill. An afternoon or two's work and no cash outlay, quick and easy bling. Might make some custom gasketed storage boxes to be bolted in what appears to be wasted space in front of the radiator. Just one cubic foot would help. But they'd have to look good. All these are besides quick and easy,except for the wheels, cheap.

Have been toying with what a Solstice would look like without the egg crate grill but a billet grill similar to a popular truck trick. You know, the thin quarter inch polished horizontal bars with a quarter inch gap between each one. Wish I was at all knowedgeable on PhotoShop. Anyone care to give it a try?

·
Registered
151 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Have been toying with what a Solstice would look like without the egg crate grill but a billet grill similar to a popular truck trick. You know, the thin quarter inch polished horizontal bars with a quarter inch gap between each one. Wish I was at all knowedgeable on PhotoShop. Anyone care to give it a try?
that's something i would be very interested in, more so if it was a single outlet, not the pontiac two-grill

·
Registered
533 Posts
The round aluminum item in the photo below and X-Pel headlight protection film are the only modifications I plan on doing before knowing more about the vehicle. I prefer to change as little else as possible unless I find that a stock component related to the ride or handling needs improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I am considering but not commited to:

Stripes (if they don't offer them)
Different Wheels
Supercharger kit (if they don't offer it)
Exaust System (only if I do mod the engine, or if the stock one sounds crappy)
Cosmetic mods (dealing with the front plate and recessing the grills?)

If the storage really is pathetic, I may work on a quick release passenger seat. There's also a very good chance I might not do anything to it.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I will be doing the same things that I did on my wife's new '05 Montego. Remove the dealer stick-ons. Coat the wheels, but this time I will use PU truck bedliner instead of paint. Paint the calipers and rotors. Then, maybe a good look at powdercoating the grills and covering the radiator with fiberglass screen to keep the bugs from cooking on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fussy Dice

Fussy Dice, a tank of gas and a beautiful passenger (my wife) and off to the the Jemez Mountains on NM highway 4 to Jemez Pueblo and back. Gas up and repeat.

I just want the style and beauty of the car to fill me with joy. It will be faster than my driving skill level so why worry about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just going to enjoy driving , There's lots of talk about waiting for better performance. I can't see waitng another year, if there is that much difference I wont have a problem trading or selling to step up. Keep in mind the more aftermarket you add on the more you lower your trade in value. This is a first year vehicle and like it or not it's gonna have kinks and bugs so why not let them work themselves out.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
XLER8ER said:
I'm just going to enjoy driving , There's lots of talk about waiting for better performance. I can't see waitng another year, if there is that much difference I wont have a problem trading or selling to step up. Keep in mind the more aftermarket you add on the more you lower your trade in value. This is a first year vehicle and like it or not it's gonna have kinks and bugs so why not let them work themselves out.
Waiting another year for me isn't much of an issue anymore. I picked up a project car to mess around with, and I was more then likely going to wait to see what the Sky was going to end up being. I feel now that waiting a year will put me in a much better position to purchase because;
  • First year bugs will have been worked out (if there really are any)
  • Hopefully forced induction will have arrived for the Solstice
  • Saturn Sky will be available (depending on what it ends up being spec wise)
  • I'll have saved up another entire years worth of money for a down payment.

But who knows. I have a bad habbit of walking on dealerships to just check out cars, and then I drive off in them :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I have a bad habbit of walking on dealerships to just check out cars, and then I drive off in them :D
:lol Your not alone! I can go and look at cars, but if I take one for a test drive I will end up buying it. Thats not so bad because I generally know what I am going to get ahead of time and don't get surprised by much on the drive. :cool

·
Registered
22 Posts
(i won't buy it until the sc is offered. i now drive a 2400lb/170+hp car. 170 hp in 2860 lbs. would just be too dorky.)

i'm modding right off the bat!

- lighter weight by replacing the battery with an odyssey pc680, the muffler with a supertrapp, and the seats if they are porkers.

- lowering springs

- roll bar or custom hard top

- ditch the fake front grill and perhaps replace it with a "real" intake instead of the sucker fish bottom mouth

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
flyboy2160 said:
sucker fish bottom mouth
HEHEHEHE that made me laugh. :thumbs

By the way, what car are you driving now that's 2400 lbs/170HP?

·
Registered
22 Posts
brentil said:
..By the way, what car are you driving now that's 2400 lbs/170HP?
glad to give a laugh. briefly ot: i have a mini cooper s with 100 to 110 lbs. removed and about a 10 hp gain with a supertrapp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts