Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, when I obtained this little car, I wasn't crazy about the lot it came from. A very small used car lot here in my area. I found out per the general manager that the cars they sell have a small g.p.s. unit installed in them so their location can be "pinged" and they can find the car should someone stop paying on the car, a way for the finance company to protect its investment. I have heard that a lot of small lots/finance companies are doing this. As I was talking to the G.M. I asked him "what would happen should this unit stop working?, is someone going to call me all upset because the unit quit". Giving me a real oddball look, he told me that, "well we've never had anyone complain about them nor have anyone take them out"....I found this hard to believe. I told him that I bet him I could find it, and he said "no I wouldn't because the way they installed it, it would look like part of the original installation of electronics from when the car was manufactured".....

Well guess what people, I found it...aaaand it looked NOTHING like "original electronics"...heck I could have hidden the thing better....anyway..After unbolting the drivers seat so I could clean underneath, while I was vacuuming the floorboard I happened to look up and I saw two little wires, red and black, running just around one of the mounting bolts of the diagnostic port, visible from the drivers seat area. So I grabbed my trusty little socket wrench, unbolted the plate beneath the steering wheel, pulled it out, dropped the next plate down, and, shining a flashlight under the steering column towards the top of the clutch assembly, tracing the wires, there it was. A 3 x 4 inch, small black unit, obtaining power from one of the wires of the diagnostic port. Velcro patched to the metal above the clutch.

I noticed it had electrical tape around it, wrapped once, I pulled that off, and tiny, square, red and green Christmas tree lights were staring me in the face. They taped over them so the lights won't shine at night.

Now my thoughts are, I "could" leave it in, utilize this system as a free "lojack" of sorts that I am paying for, so if some Einstein stole the car it could immediately be found, or take the doggone thing out because a part of me also feels its sort of an invasion of my privacy, but then again, you have g.p.s. on your smartphone, so it's like no difference. I also don't think it records my driving habits, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone in here think that someone will call me and gripe if someone decides to "ping" the car and it isn't working? I mean what would they do in the event the fuse pops? Tell me where the unit is so I can replace the fuse myself?...uh yeah right. The little fuse plug socket was tucked in just above the diagnostic port.

As we all know, anything electronic can and will fail and/or quit. I think I just want some personal opinions about this. I suppose one last "benefit" I could look at it as should I ever wreck somewhere I haven't a clue where I am at, that I and the car could be found...

I think as long as the car is being paid for there should be no reason to even "ping" its location wouldn't you say?

I do apologize for the length of this post but,..........your thoughts anyone? What would you guys do?...Thanks.....:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
If it wasn't factory installed, I would De-Install it and drop it by the lot next time by.

Any add on Electronics by Bubba are not a good thing! :brentil:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I agree Id remove it.... if they ask, just explain you want to keep your car stock... ;)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,618 Posts
If you are financing the car through that dealer or his finance company, you have probably agreed to the device in the fine details. Read all the dealer's paperwork before you decide what to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll test it

I'll test this thing by "pulling the fuse" then starting the car.....see what happens....I don't see any other wires going anywhere else from the unit, just black and red...power and ground.....It's not communicating with anything from what I can tell.....

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I would read your contract with the loan company. It may state that you agree to pay for the car and forfeit it should any tampering occur with the device. I worked for the dealer that started that.... Mel Farr... He was the inventor of that device and if anyone messed with it, there was a clause in the contract that the owner agreed to pay in full, the vehicle and forfeit the vehicle.

Yes, they do fail....as a matter of fact Mel Farr had a major lawsuit against him as one failed while the customer was driving on the freeway and the car shut off...causing a fireball accident. The customer survived without any injury but won a lawsuit of over $1m. After that they made it so they couldn't shut the cars off...only lock out the ignition and start the gps tracker to retrieve it. Thus the second downfall...if someone knew they were going to late on their payment, they would leave the car run for days on end....

It does communicate with them, if a payment is late. It will be activated the day your payment is due if it is not paid. Basically it blocks the ignition and sends out a gps signal at that point.

In the end, check your contract...but I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Read the contract fine print and see if they make mention of the GPS. You could be screwing yourself over by messing with it. However, if you have already made your last payment and the car is free and clear then by all means, take it out or have them take it out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After perusing many many tracker unit install videos on Youtube, there is no starter interrupt on the unit inside this ride. Just power and ground. Either way, in the next couple of days, I will look under the dash again to make sure there is no "attached relay" or another unit anywhere. I already scoped out the fuse boxes, there are no additional wires there that shouldn't be. I have installed gobs of equipment over the years and know what to look for. I'm just fighting with myself because if this thing tracks me real time, well, I'm not the "slowest" of drivers that's for sure......(several years on the autobahn ruined me).....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Here is my take on it. If you financed from them, and they disclosed that it is installed, and you signed the paperwork, you probably agreed in writing to not mess with it, and if you do remove it they have the right to come collect the car or charge you some fee or something. You might want to scour your paperwork carefully before you decide to pull it.

If I bought a car from them, I would have not used their finance company and would have asked that they remove it before I take delivery.

Good Luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Him and I discussed the unit

Here is my take on it. If you financed from them, and they disclosed that it is installed, and you signed the paperwork, you probably agreed in writing to not mess with it, and if you do remove it they have the right to come collect the car or charge you some fee or something. You might want to scour your paperwork carefully before you decide to pull it.

If I bought a car from them, I would have not used their finance company and would have asked that they remove it before I take delivery.

Good Luck
The g.m. and I discussed the unit. I asked him upfront what should happen if the unit fails. I'm trying to look at it from a "being stolen" standpoint as well, being that this is my first convertible, the unit could come in handy that way. I started to use my own financing, but the amount I was approved for, well everything that I looked at was front wheel drive, and I am SICK of front wheel drive, and I didn't want a brand new car. Thanks for more info. though..appreciate it..

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
I''m unclear, did you finance it through the dealer you purchased it from or did you arrange financing yourself? As has been said, if you financed it from the dealer you purchased it from then removing the GPS may be a violation of your finance agreement.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The g.m. and I discussed the unit. I asked him upfront what should happen if the unit fails. I'm trying to look at it from a "being stolen" standpoint as well, being that this is my first convertible, the unit could come in handy that way. I started to use my own financing, but the amount I was approved for, well everything that I looked at was front wheel drive, and I am SICK of front wheel drive, and I didn't want a brand new car. Thanks for more info. though..appreciate it..
I'm not faulting you for financing with them. I'm just saying to read your paperwork carefully.

If you are wondering if the GPS would be helpful if the car gets stolen, I would ask the dealer if they would help with recovery if the car gets stolen. If they will, I would provide that information to your insurance company and you might get a discount on insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Like the others said, if you financed it thru that dealer meaning you send them the payment then you need to check the contract and see if it's in there. If they found financing for you thru a bank then the car belongs to that bank until you pay it off and then the dealer cannot tell you what to do.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have been following this since it was first posted and like Chop Top I 'm wondering if you financed this from the dealer ?If you did he technically still owns the car till the loan is paid off and as others have said removing this may be a violation of the purchase agreement.Twowheeladdict brought up a good point that this could be viewed as an anti thief device like a Lojack system and you might get a break on your insurance.

·
Premium Member
18,503 Posts
My personal opinion is that even if you signed a contract that had buried in the fine print an agreement to suffer having a GPS locator installed, I would disable it. It is a privacy issue. They do not have the right to track your movements. Even if you signed some arcane legalese that says they can track you, I am not sure that is a basic right that you can sign away. Its like signing a waiver for a race course. If you get hurt, you can always sue them and generally they will have to pay. Its an attempt on their part to affect your future actions. Kind of like the gravel trucks that state "Not Responsible for Broken Windshields" In fact, they ARE responsible for broken windshields of the source of that breakage is rocks falling out of their load. You can SAY what ever you want. The legality is a totally different matter.:agree:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.