Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of ways to shave weight. Wondering if the hood and deck are metal or aluminum. Replacing them with carbon fiber (if they were metal) would drop a lot. Thinking over 100 pounds evenly distributed. Wishing I had taken a magnet to the car show.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm hoping they're aluminum, but whatever the case... I'll probably go carbon once they make them and I have the money saved up. Might look silly though, and you don't wanna be mistaken for all the other riceboys on the road. I would get mine paint matched if I did get CF.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Thinking of ways to shave weight. Wondering if the hood and deck are metal or aluminum. Replacing them with carbon fiber (if they were metal) would drop a lot. Thinking over 100 pounds evenly distributed. Wishing I had taken a magnet to the car show.

I think this was discussed some months ago on another thread. Do a search. I am inclined to think the stock hood is sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For 19,995 we are definately not getting any aluminium sheet metal anything. I think we're better off spending the money to make the engine make more power, than on carbon fiber to save a few pounds on the hood or deck lid.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did some thinking about a carbon fiber hood a while ago, even made a thread about it. But in all practicality, I don't think we'll be able to find a carbon fiber hood that will fit properly to the Solstice. Our hoods are going to be relatively Humongous, since they're the upper part of our fenders, and a hood at the same time. Its a large piece, and I have yet to find a company that makes "Great" Carbon Fiber hoods that doesn't require any work in making fit correctly. All the ones I've seen always have some alignment issue, or the curves aren't perfect, and it bows somewhere too much, or where it shouldn't be bowing. One of these days, if you're walking through a parking lot and notice a guy with a carbon fiber hood, pay attention to the lines around the hood, pay attention to the alignment and shape, see how well it follows the contours of the vehicle. Then look at it from the side, and see if the hood follows the profile correctly, you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
yeah, but perhaps we'll get lucky and GM will offer their OWN carbon accessories for us.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
dori-san said:
yeah, but perhaps we'll get lucky and GM will offer their OWN carbon accessories for us.
:lol: Pretty funny. :D

Well if CF isn't the route to go there's always Fiberglass too. It works for the Corvette. In general it's lighter then steel, but not as light as CF. There are far more skilled FG shops out there then CF shops too.

Anyone know any good FG shops in the Central Florida area in particular?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anywhere in the US had a chance to find a good fiberglass shop, it be Central Florida. More than half the boats "made in the USA" were born there. Even better for you, most of the companies are just a fraction of their former size when the Luxury Tax slump hit. Should be a lot of experienced glassmen out making car parts.

The fact that it's a huge, curvy piece has some advantages. The shape would give it some inherent rigidity a flat shape doesn't have. And with the massive size comes a massive weight savings (but at a massive cost). My thinking is, if 200' yachts can be made of CF, should be possible for a Solstice. Figure the headlights would definitely complicate matters. But hold down pins at the windshield would look cool. Or I can always do like the HS kid down the street and cover it with CF print contact paper. :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Or I can always do like the HS kid down the street and cover it with CF print contact paper. :cool:

LOL! :lol: I can see it now. A few years down the road went the now eighth graders are running around in used Solstice the carbon fiber contact paper sales will be booming!

·
Registered
381 Posts
brentil said:
Anyone know any good FG shops in the Central Florida area in particular?
If I recall, there's a place in the Tampa Bay area that used to make hoods for f-bodies & maybe some trucks. Suncoast something or other, if my memory serves me correctly. I don't know if they're still around, but they used to make knockoffs of the hoods that SLP used on their versions of the f-bodies, as well as some other versions.

If you could find a good shop, you might be able to get a "deal" on a hood if you let them use your car as a prototyping vehicle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
that is what they did with my alero hood they used a stock hood a a mold then bult up the cowl to what was liked. it fits good but has a 1/32 bow in the middle

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
There is so much import crap out there that it is difficult to find any type of decent hood/body kit etc..
The 2004 ZO6 has a carbon fiber hood that fits perfectly but it's definitely not JDM or something from the tuner crowd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suncoast is alive and well (thanks to new ownership)

If I recall, there's a place in the Tampa Bay area that used to make hoods for f-bodies & maybe some trucks. Suncoast something or other, if my memory serves me correctly. I don't know if they're still around, but they used to make knockoffs of the hoods that SLP used on their versions of the f-bodies, as well as some other versions.

If you could find a good shop, you might be able to get a "deal" on a hood if you let them use your car as a prototyping vehicle.
FYI - Suncoast Automotive Performance (formerly Suncoast Creations) is alive and well with new ownership in 2006. We focus on ram air hoods still but have just started working in other components such as our new Solstice rear wing and side panels.

I suppose I should take offense at the "knock-off" comment but I guess the previous owners probably deserve it. Today we strive for unique and innovative designs and really frown on the cheap imports and knockoffs out there. I heard a colleague resently refer to R&D in most aftermarket hood companies as "Replicate & Duplicate."

Take Care,

SuncoastPrez

1 - 16 of 16 Posts