Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, reading over the standard and option list MCEB was so good to post, got two questions, "What actually is a Monsoon Speaker Package?" and "Is it worth the money?" I see that in the Standard Feature list they've got mention of a 6 speaker system and the discription of the Monsoon says it's got 7 speakers. Is it just a added base speaker and a speaker upgrade? 'Cuz I've seen them charging $500+ for it and that seems a little pricey. I know I can add an thumping amplified base speaker behind the passenger seat for a lot less.

So I guess I'm asking, "For top down enjoyment, do I really need a Monsoon or is it just rain on my parade?"

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I think 'Monsoon' is a brand name as is Jensen, Bose, Infinity. Their expertise may or may not be in big thumpin' subwoofers. By the way, a little sideways from your question, who the heck is 'Aisin' and what makes their transmissions better than ZF, Getrag, or even a good old American HURST shifter?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Monsoon is just a moniker that Pontiac uses on some of their high end stereo systems.

I have a 1999 Pontiac Firehawk with the "Monsoon" system. This specific system has 500 watts with 10 speakers and a 12 disk changer.

I'm not sure what the specifics are on the Solstice version of the "Monsoon" but it should be considred their "high end" audio option.

Yay! First post :)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Welcome aboard, Primus. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What is a Monsoon? A Monsoon is a terrential rain storm, which is why Pontiac was nice enought to through in the cloth top! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry, I just had be the smart _ss)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I really just wanted the 6 CD player but I think they have it packaged with other stuff in the higher end system with a subwoofer. After I see the price I might decide to opt for the single CD since it's only a 2nd car for me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
"Monsoon season" in Happy Valley (University Park, PSU, Penn State) was any time it was raining and you had an 8 AM class on oppposite side of campus.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome Primus. Do you like it? Does it still work like new(torn speaker or a speaker not as loud as it was when new)? Do you think it was worth the money?

When it comes to GM's audio upgrades, I really wish I had a clue on what they were going to charge! :willy: Seems like sometimes the dollar per decible of factory sound isn't as good as aftermarket. But I like the factory face plate just 'cuz they have a tendency to stay with the car longer.

I also like that the volumn on the upgrade factory system is automaticaly speed adjusted (but I imagine it's a little more sofisticated than the fifties 'Vettes).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
I think 'Monsoon' is a brand name as is Jensen, Bose, Infinity. Their expertise may or may not be in big thumpin' subwoofers. By the way, a little sideways from your question, who the heck is 'Aisin' and what makes their transmissions better than ZF, Getrag, or even a good old American HURST shifter?
Aisin is a Japanese transmission company. GM will be buying the 5 speed transmissions from them. They have a good reputation from what I have seen, based in part on supplying the 6 speed manual transmissions in the Honda S2000. GM also buys Aisin manual transmissions for the Chevy Colorado pickup. I don't know if they are otherwise better or worse than a Zf, Getrag, or other transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Ff88. Just seems funny as big a company GM is that they can't build their own performance transmissions. What's next, Honda engines?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
Thanks for the clarification, Ff88. Just seems funny as big a company GM is that they can't build their own performance transmissions. What's next, Honda engines?
You're joking, right? You do know that the Saturn VUE uses a Honda V6, right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Man, rebadged Daewoos, Honda engines in Saturns, Japanese trannys in GM trucks. Whats next? A BMW V8 in a GMC full sized pickup?

I can't wait for Chrysler to rebadge the EVO VII.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I really like my monsoon system. I do have an issue with bass in one of the rear speakers, but I think it's just a matter of the screws coming slightly loose, so the speaker rattles a little. I end up having to tighen them down a bit every few months or so.

It's a very good sound system. The bass packs quite a punch and I haven't had any issues out of any of my speakers aside from the afore mentioned screws.

I'll be opting for the Monsoon system in my Solstice.

Asuming I can sell my Firehawk :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
AeroDave said:
What about SAABs with Subaru chassis?
Chassis? Practically everything but the front and rear bumpers and the AC controlls are the same. Japanese cars being sold as Swedish! :leaving:

This has gotten OT in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
You're joking, right? You do know that the Saturn VUE uses a Honda V6, right?
Yes, that's why I suggested it, Should have enclosed a smilie for effect. And the Vibe GT doesn't even use a Toyota, its supposed to be a Suzuki. (Ford SVO Taurus was/stillis? Yamaha)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Primus said:
I really like my monsoon system.
I'll be opting for the Monsoon system in my Solstice.
Thanks Primus.. Based on that, I guess I'll spring for a Monsoon. After all, buying a roadster for a daily driver with, at best, a 3.6 cu ft trunk is what I've been told is ridiculous. May as well go all the way and pay more than I normally would for a sound system to drown out my sorrows. :cool:

But I wonder, in cars without the optional base speaker behind the passenger seat, if that space isn't used as additional storage?

·
Registered
288 Posts
What interested me about it is that someone stated somewhere that the stereo system featured the speed-correcting volume. My Firehawk doesn't have that now, but I sure wish it did. Between the SLP Loudmouth exhaust I put on there and the sound of the wind when the T-Tops come off it's impossible to hear the stereo unless you manually increase the volume as you speed up.

I'm not sure which optioned stereo it would come with but I'm sure it'd come with the monsoon.

Then again, you might be better off saving the money for the stereo and having something aftermarket put in. But I'm not big on all that so I will stick with the tried and true Monsoon.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Primus said:
What interested me about it is that someone stated somewhere that the stereo system featured the speed-correcting volume. My Firehawk doesn't have that now, but I sure wish it did. Between the SLP Loudmouth exhaust I put on there and the sound of the wind when the T-Tops come off it's impossible to hear the stereo unless you manually increase the volume as you speed up.

I'm not sure which optioned stereo it would come with but I'm sure it'd come with the monsoon.

Then again, you might be better off saving the money for the stereo and having something aftermarket put in. But I'm not big on all that so I will stick with the tried and true Monsoon.
I loved the speed compensated volume feature on my last GM that had it. It worked great, and you could adjust how much the volume increased (min, normal, max kind of thing). It worked great for me in that I never touched the volume when speeding up to get on the expressway, nor did I have to adjust when I got back into city driving. From the spec. sheet it appears to be on all but the base model stereo, so you don't have to go get the Monsoon system for it... but the Monsoon system was worth it to me in my last car as well.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also if you get XM, XM requires the Mansoon speaker upgrade. It also requires the 2nd level Stereo system I believe too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts