Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 9000 to 9500 orders for the Sol that I keep reading, does that include orders that have been placed, but have not been picked up by Pontiac yet? Or, are those just the orders that have been picked up by Pontiac?

·
5,641 Posts
SouthernSol said:
The 9000 to 9500 orders for the Sol that I keep reading, does that include orders that have been placed, but have not been picked up by Pontiac yet? Or, are those just the orders that have been picked up by Pontiac?
They represent the number of orders in the GM order system. The vast majority have not been picked up by Pontiac. They sit in the individual dealer's order bank awaiting allocation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small Dealer said:
They represent the number of orders in the GM order system. The vast majority have not been picked up by Pontiac. They sit in the individual dealer's order bank awaiting allocation.
So, if I placed my order on 4/18, it is part of the 9000 orders that have been quoted over and over and over? Although it has not been picked up to be built?

·
5,641 Posts
SouthernSol said:
So, if I placed my order on 4/18, it is part of the 9000 orders that have been quoted over and over and over? Although it has not been picked up to be built?
Yes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got moved from a waiting list to #4 of 4 in a 1st allocation.
I've read every posting that has anything to do with allocations and I'm still a quite confused. There seem to be dealers out there that still don't know what their allocation is, some that still haven't sold all their first allocation, some that are allocated 1 car, some claim 38 or more. There also seems to be dealers taking orders for cars they only hope to recieve.

If dealers don't presale the allocation are the cars remaining shipped to them to sale off the lot or do they go to the dealers that actually have paying costumers waiting?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sydney (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Back in the Spring (April I believe), all the dealers were told how many cars they were getting per allocation. Some only got 1, meanwhile others got over 10 (I dealer in FL got 20 I believe). After the Apprentice fiasco occurred dealers were taking deposits for their allocation. After their first allocations were filled the dealers were filling their 2nd and 3rd.

Recently (within the last couple weeks), dealers have been getting emails/memos to put their 1st allocation orders in. So with any luck you will have your order pulled shortly if it isn't already.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I ordered on 4/15. My dealer did not get any Solstice's on the first allocation. What would be your best guess as to when I would expect delivery on my car. If it is next Mar-Apr, that would be okay as I have a note coming due at that time and I wouldn't have to borrow any $.

My dealer is a very small, rural dealer, not moving many cars in a given year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Sydney (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Back in the Spring (April I believe), all the dealers were told how many cars they were getting per allocation. Some only got 1, meanwhile others got over 10 (I dealer in FL got 20 I believe). After the Apprentice fiasco occurred dealers were taking deposits for their allocation. After their first allocations were filled the dealers were filling their 2nd and 3rd.

Recently (within the last couple weeks), dealers have been getting emails/memos to put their 1st allocation orders in. So with any luck you will have your order pulled shortly if it isn't already.

Thanks, I thought as much, but I'm easily confused. :cool: I need to get away from my computer, been glued to this forum for over two weeks now. Don't know how you "Solstice old timers" have handled the wait so long. I've noticed there has been some serious "venting" in some of the threads. :lol:
I hope when the 1st 1000 start to recieve their cars some of the pressure will ease.

·
Registered
763 Posts
OHH and it will. Not sure youll see me again till Im looking for mods after I get mine. Ill be far to busy thinking of excuses to drive.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sydney said:
If dealers don't presale the allocation are the cars remaining shipped to them to sale off the lot or do they go to the dealers that actually have paying costumers waiting?
Hi Sydney. This is my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Dealers have a choice do either A) sell their allocation is as "custom orders" to people who placed advance deposits and speced out how they wanted their cars or B) order models with popular options and sell them off the lot later.

Given this is a low volume car and high demand I think/guess many dealers have been doing A. If there is a dealer somewhere who didn't have enough people and didn't place one of one of those spec orders (B) I guess they'd lose their spot in that allocation. Not sure where that spot would go (into a general pool for redistribution to other dealers?)

Each allocation cycle is 4 months so the process starts all over again.

·
5,641 Posts
See if I can lift the confussion. Once apon a time in a land.......

All dealers have access to their allocation estimate for the First Four Months of Allocation. Pontiac made sure that this was communicated in a specific Solstice location. They posted this before the April 14th Apprentice announcement of the Early Order Program and the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Order Solstices. This was done specifcally so that dealers could handle customer orders and manage expectations of availability and delivery.

As time has gone on, dealers have access to reports which have broken the first four month allocation into the months of July and August and other reports which break down the allocation by weekly order cycle. Again, these numbers can be used to map out a possible allocation time frame for the balance of the first four month allocation ( Sept and Oct).

The second allocation period is also expected to be four months, and use simular methods to calculate it. So a dealer could expect a simular amount.

Later allocation periods are not as defined in length and calculation methods. Although a dealer wouldn't be off by much if they guessed simular amounts over simular times. This is becuase if they switch to a traditional turn-and-earn formula, what you sold in earlier periods is what you get in later ones.

The is no way either a buyer or another dealer can confirm a dealer's allocation numbers. It does appear that no dealer received "0", so that "1" is the minimum. Incoming reports now show at least two dealers without first four month allocations, so there are dealers with none Based on posts here on site that are thought to be reliable, "22" may be the tops.

If a dealer dosen't have a buildable sold order when their allocation turn comes, they will surely spec an order for inventory so they do not loose their allocation.

And yes believe it or not, I am sure, there are dealers that may not have sold all their frist allocation cars. No offense to Jimmy Kimmal, but there hasn't been much to put the Solstice back in the public eye since The Apprentice. Once cars get on the street and the advertising starts, things will pick up again.

There are so many variables that any order a dealer takes is for a car they "hope" to get.

That should geve you background and answer most of your questions. Here is what paid your quarter for and you really want to hear.

It is how this infomation is shared in the dealership and communicated to the potential and actual buyers that is the concern. The automobile selling business in general is not an order taking business. It has developed, as has much of life, into an instant gratification business. There are not sufficient systems in place to get this infomation all the way down to the salesperson level. Many dealership use a Inventory Manager who does all the forecasting and ordering. They see these numbers and reports. So even sales management may not be versed in them.

Thanks for listening, open book quiz on Friday. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
mceb said:
Hi Sydney. This is my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Dealers have a choice do either A) sell their allocation is as "custom orders" to people who placed advance deposits and speced out how they wanted their cars or B) order models with popular options and sell them off the lot later.

Given this is a low volume car and high demand I think/guess many dealers have been doing A. If there is a dealer somewhere who didn't have enough people and didn't place one of one of those spec orders (B) I guess they'd lose their spot in that allocation. Not sure where that spot would go (into a general pool for redistribution to other dealers?)

Each allocation cycle is 4 months so the process starts all over again.
O I C. :willy: Thanks

·
5,641 Posts
Blk37Special said:
I ordered on 4/15. My dealer did not get any Solstice's on the first allocation. What would be your best guess as to when I would expect delivery on my car. If it is next Mar-Apr, that would be okay as I have a note coming due at that time and I wouldn't have to borrow any $.

My dealer is a very small, rural dealer, not moving many cars in a given year.
If your dealer did not receive any allocation for the first four month allocation, they would be the first, I believe, posted about here on site. The other possbility is that they did get at least one, but just didn't receive it during the first order cycle allocation.

I will assume that you are the first out of the pool at your dealer. If they actually have none in the first allocation period, then I am sure Pontiac would get them into the game during the second four month period. That should be November-December-January-February.

The simplest way to think is a 1-2-3 system. Allocation-Build-Delivery.
A)November-December-January.
B)Decmeber-January-February.
C)January-February-March.
D)February-March-April.
So the most likely situation is that the car would be in just before to right around the March-April time frame that would work perfect for you.

And if it is going to be that long, keep in mind that you will have the chance to add OnStar and Chrome Wheels to your order. Later this fall, they should be available to order. But most importantly, you have time to work up some possible rebates on a GM Card if you haven't got one already. New style cards should be able to use $1,000 in bonus earnings towards a Solstice. Check back after October 1st to be sure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
first allocation

SD, my original dealer here in Nebraska did not have a first allocation, He also was unsure as to the second allocation. I had to switch dealers to get a first allocation car. Based on your knowledge of the system, I am # 3 of 5, would I be picked up during the second round of first allocation orders?

·
5,641 Posts
bigjon said:
SD, my original dealer here in Nebraska did not have a first allocation, He also was unsure as to the second allocation. I had to switch dealers to get a first allocation car. Based on your knowledge of the system, I am # 3 of 5, would I be picked up during the second round of first allocation orders?
I think it would be safe to assume that your order would be picked up in the second half of the first four month allocation. So closer to the third month then the second.

Has your dealer had his 1st picked up yet? Have they looked at their August weekly breakout to see if they are getting cars?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Small Dealer said:
As time has gone on, dealers have access to reports which have broken the first four month allocation into the months of July and August and other reports which break down the allocation by weekly order cycle. Again, these numbers can be used to map out a possible allocation time frame for the balance of the first four month allocation ( Sept and Oct).
They see these numbers and reports. So even sales management may not be versed in them.
That actually seems to be a common problem at a number of dealers, as well as a lack of information about the whole process in general. Any chance you can share a quick rundown of how to get the information or at least what system a dealer should look in to find out that kind of info? It seems that many just don't know their own systems well enough to make use of them. That way, customers could get the answers they're looking for as well as help their dealer learn their systems, much the same way things worked during the EOP days.

Thanks for all the good info ... that seems to clear up a lot of misunderstandings.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Small Dealer said:
See if I can lift the confussion. Once apon a time in a land.......

. :)
SmallDealer, can you read us to sleep (just kidding) every night, pretty pretty please? And yes Blk37Special is correct that his dealer has zero as first four month allocation. He could be SOL (old meaning) if dealer doesn't get 1 for next allocation cycle. I know his dealer, you don't see many combination farm equipment/car&truck dealers anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer had a allocation of 5 vehicles. I am #4 of the five. Number 1 was pulled around 6/24. Numbers 2 and 3 were pulled on Thursday July 28th. So..It looks like my number is up next..Question-when is the next cycle for them to pull orders? I was told it would be 30 more days from 7/28. If so what would be anticipated build date?

Waiting in Madiosn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts