Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there tell me what gm calls the Grey plastic thing on the floor next to the door? It has a chrome plate on it that says Solstice. My chrome plate is bent. Bummer man. I think it happened at the dealer when they were replacing the thermostat but I didn't notice it right away. Anyway gotta get it replaced. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Door sill.

While someone may have kicked it getting in/out and bent it, the problem that caused it is extremely common due to the way the metal and the plastic it is attached to expand and contract with the seasons.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
The problem is a result of the metal expanding at a different rate from the plastic. Over time, the metal will bow. Once you warm them up, the metal will generally lay flat again.

There a couple of threads on this subject where considerable effort was made to address the problem. Many of us went to the windrestrictor door sills as a better solution

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
3M makes a VHB (very high bond) tape on various medium including different thicknesses of foam. I would suggest trying a thin foam version of the 2 sided tape to allow it to swell and shrink a bit without buckling. Not too thick, because that would cause it to sit higher and you'd likely catch your foot on it making things worse.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
3M makes a VHB (very high bond) tape on various medium including different thicknesses of foam. I would suggest trying a thin foam version of the 2 sided tape to allow it to swell and shrink a bit without buckling. Not too thick, because that would cause it to sit higher and you'd likely catch your foot on it making things worse.
I went down this path but the metal is so thin it's very difficult to impossible to remove I damaged. You got a suggestion ?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Whatever you do, if you plan on putting the windrestrictor door sills on, DO NOT remove the metal strip!!!!!! I made the mistake of doing this on my passenger side 2 years ago...I've been through 4 LED lights on that side and have NEVER been able to get it to sit right on the sill.... :'(

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Unfortunately, if you feel lights in door sills are gauche as I do, the factory is the only game in town. Too bad Windrestrictor doesn't offer stock unlit sills - they could presumably do so at a much reduced price and I'd rather buy from them than GM, as I've already had one of GMs sills come to grief (fortunately within the warranty period) and have no confidence in their quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts