Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the Netherlands, and in Europe everything is always including tax (maybe that's why we don't mind paying 19%, since we don't realy get to see how much it is).

But the U.S. is tricky on that part, you always end up paying more than you expected. And buying a car looks like it is like buying an airline ticket, you get a great deal, but when you add the fuel surcharge, reservation fee, airport tax, ticket issuing and what not, you end up spending a lot of money anyway.

So what will the final price be of my Solstice with all the tax, license, registration, shipping, dealer and who knows what added. Mine will be about MSRP 23,615 (If you're bored, try guessing what options I took to get to that MSRP ;) ) and I live in L.A. (that matters for the tax, right?)

·
Registered
397 Posts
California DMV has a great new function on their website where you can put in your info and it will tell you your total cost with tax, fees, registration, etc. It even breaks it down for you. It's real easy and only takes like a minute and a half.
Mine came out to around $2160!! $222 for Registration and fees - the rest is sales tax. Hope that helps. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SD SOL said:
California DMV has a great new function on their website where you can put in your info and it will tell you your total cost with tax, fees, registration, etc. It even breaks it down for you.
It's real easy and only takes like a minute and a half. Mine came out to around $2160!! $222 for Registration and fees - the rest is sales tax. Hope that helps. :cool:
Ah, the power of the internet. Great! :cool:

Thank you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I got to $2,165.00, that's about 9% of the sticker price.
That's a lot better than in Europe, they add about 40% using a special 'luxury goods tax', but you'll never notice because it's always included in the sticker price (apart from, of course, cars seeming cheaper abroad).

Now, apart from this 2,165, are there any other costs? Will the dealer charge some additional fees alongside the MSRP (considering he will charge MSRP, and not more)?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It all depends on your dealer. Some are honoring the MSRP and other are asking over. Did you get anything in writing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
My dealer is charging a small "docking fee" but that's it. We've heard of some dealers pulling the old "prep package" charge (basically scotchgard and a wax job) for an additional two grand. Check with your dealer and keep your eyes open. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SD SOL said:
My dealer is charging a small "docking fee" but that's it. We've heard of some dealers pulling the old "prep package" charge (basically scotchgard and a wax job) for an additional two grand. Check with your dealer and keep your eyes open. Good luck.
Okay, so they could charge me something, but not necesarily. And if they do, it's more a result of creativity than common sense. Right?

So, assuming my dealer will be fair, the math is simply 23,615 + 2,165 = 25,780. Looks good to me :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts