Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking over the pictures Speedzoku took at the SF Auto show and noticed what looks like a big ugly body seam running diagonally up from about 2:00 on the rear wheel arch. There was never an indication of it on the other pictures I've seen. On all the other photos, I had assumed that both rear fenders and the rear bumper were one giant molded piece of plastic. But in this picture of an actual "Production" version, it appears they are now three separate pieces! How they came up with where to differenciate those pieces is about the ugliest way possible! It really messes up the rear end! :mad
http://speedzoku.com/gallery/randomcrap/IMG_0020
http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/solstice3.html
Maybe one of you smarter guys could pop these pictures.

·
4,592 Posts
DreamerDave, sorry that bumbed you, but I believe it's always been there, just not clear in the photo you picked to point it out.

look at:
http://www.engine-power.com/pontiac/solstice_2.html
You can see it there, but only midly noticeable.

I think I agree, it's just "really" evident in this most recent photo.

Even in the photo you picked, if you look close, it's there. But maybe it was air-brushed? Kinda like a playboy bunny??? :lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
It looks like one large plastic rear bumper cover to me with paint that doesn't quite match the steel portion of the body. Notice how the entire rear bumper seems to be a shade different than the rest of the car. I think the seam would be less obvious if the paint color was consistent or on a dark colored car. Some of the first 350Zs off the assembly line had paint mismatch problems between the steel and plastic parts. Let's hope that GM has the kinks worked out of the paint process before the first customer car rolls off the line.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Have seen at least one multi-colored car around here in MI where the fascias were white and the sheetmetal was black. The area starting from the diagonal and going all the way down to the ground is indeed the fascia.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even in the photo you picked, if you look close, it's there. But maybe it was air-brushed?
Your right. I guess I never noticed. What fooled me was, in the same picture, look how noticeable the hood/front fender gap is.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I think part of it has to do with that 2nd image you have listed looks fairly computer enhanced, or computer generated in the first place.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I think part of it has to do with that 2nd image you have listed looks fairly computer enhanced, or computer generated in the first place.
There are what appear to be some touched up photos running around that do appear somewhat different. Those touched up photos could be computer created images too, and not actual pictures. One ’06 prototype pic comes to mind doesn’t have the gas filler door on it, although it is there on all actual photos.

I bet the line isn’t as noticeable on an actual production car. Its possible this car is a pre-production car off the assembly line, or a hand built prototype done in Detroit. Either could explain some poor fit and finish in certain areas, or mismatched paint. Its possible it could simply look that apparent from the camera angle combined with the lighting in the building and/or flash.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah the two body parts in that first image do appear to be of different colors. Who knows, the original bumper might have gotten messed up/broken during a transport and they had to slap on a different one. Because the mian botty in that image looks very pewter colored liek they used to paint the C5 Corvettes, but the rear bumper looks like the dark silver color they offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts