Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have a beautiful country backwoods lane with a lot of curves you love to drive? Share it with us!

I have two.

A wonderful scenic highway that was built specifically for that purpose. The Talimena scenic Byway in eastern Oklahoma/West Arkansas goes from mountain top to mountain top and is absolutely gorgeous in the fall. Many hot-rod and motorcycle clubs travel from Dallas and Oklahoma City to here as it is only about 3 to 4 hours away. There is a nice lodge about halfway along it's 60 or so miles where you can get a meal or a room.

http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/virtual_tour.html

The other is a little road I discovered earlier this summer when driving from DFW to Possum Kingdom Lake. It runs from Jacksboro to Graford Texas, highway 4. It has a great blacktop surface, neat scenery, no traffic, and many 'whoop-de-doos'.

I'm sure there are better roads around, but I'm packing the wife and a bag, (whatever will fit under the bonnet) and heading for this highway as soon as I get my hands on a Solstice.

Where will you go?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Out here in California there are tons of great roads, but a really fun one that has great scenery is Pacific Coast Highway 1.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was planning on the Talimena trip too. I only live 30 minutes north of Talihina. I have to drive through these mountians to get to work everyday. Can't wait to make this a fun drive.

Hurry, build it soon!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'd never heard of Telimena but will put it on my " to do list". Thanks for the tip.
I plan on going for a 4 week trip soon after I take delivery (I'm counting on summer vs fall) from here to south/central Colorado, up to Grand Juntion, over to Yosemite via the"backside", across to San Fransisco, then up Highway One till it meets 101. Lived in California till I was thirty, and have driven the southern half of Highway One many times. Think it's time to see the rest. Haven't worked out the exact route but, needless to say, the warrenty will be used up in no time! :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We do not have many good roads around here. Certainly nothing I can get to in a short time period and cruise around on. Western NY is fairly flat. There are some curvy and hilly roads, but most are heavily traveled with lots of housing and traffic on them which makes it hard to truly enjoy them. I can find a few ok places, but I am sure its nothing like some of the roads you guys like to drive!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Well,

Here in MI, there are pretty good roads through some areas in the Irish Hills area. Also some decent elevation change and switchback roads in western MI and up toward Traverse City/Manistee area.

The autorags based in MI use several parts of the roads around some small towns near Ann Arbor (Pinckney, Hamburg, Hell [yes, there really is a Hell, MI], Unadilla, and some roads in and about a couple of the natural parks around here). I've been on most of these and they are certainly nice, if not somewhat short and crowded at times.

The autorags also use areas south of MI in OH, in and about the areas south of Columbus, in what is known around here as "Amish Country". Very nice roads also. Usually not well patrolled, but you have to be careful not to disturb the horse-drawn buggies if you pass them.

Highway 1 in CA - obvious! North section heading out of San Francisco is really tight and switchback, gorgeous scenery.

Some roads in and around Mount Rainier National Park - very scenic, very tight, very adventurous - watch out for 2000 ft cliffs.

Head out of Denver Colorado, in and through Durango CO. If I remember correctly there is somewhere along the winding mountain passes that's called "Little Swizerland" or something like that - but neat, one of a kind scenery again.

Outskirts of Phoenix, AZ: Road to Baghdad AZ, and some paved winding roads to a couple of small towns (not Tortilla Flats) that escape me right now.

How 'bout the route from Palomar Observatory down and up?

There was an article in one of the auto mags (I'll look for it) but the guy took an old restored english roadster through a very interesting route in New England. Have to try that one.

Internationally, I can see why GM took the Solstice to England. The B and C roads there are really fun if you can get used to the traffic. There's also some similar roads in Germany, Spain, and Italy (though my Italy experiences have mostly been on mountain passes - still a lot of fun).

Of course, there's the Nurburgring.

But, by accident, I was heading down and taking back roads for the heck of it through TN, NC, SC, and GA on my way to meet some friends in the S.E. US. Ended up going through a small town in and through a mountain pass that was absolutely outstanding!!! Only been here once, but this road and the name of the town are still stuck in my memory a decade later:

Deal's Gap was the name of the town, and the mountain pass on US 129 on the border of TN and NC was the most memorable drive I've ever been on. There seemed to be curves just for the sake of curves, at a density of somewhere around 20-30 turns per mile!!!

I described it to a few biker friends of mine a few years ago and they said, very matter-of-factly, that I was talking about "The Tail of the Dragon". Some of them go to yearly trips there.

And that is were we should go when we all get our Solstices.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

·
Registered
275 Posts
Georgia Fiero club has a yearly outing to Deal's gap also. Fieros and Solstices would be an interesting combination.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
Georgia Fiero club has a yearly outing to Deal's gap also. Fieros and Solstices would be an interesting combination.
That would make for some good competition too! No Solstice owner is going to want to be trumped by an old Fiero! :wink

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Arkansas 7 from Hot Springs to Diamond City continues to be rated one of the best since the 70's. It's always better when school is in session and the tourists thin out.

Steve

·
Registered
179 Posts
Overseas highway between U.S. 1 (the road is actually a continuation of I-95) from Miami to Key West is great.

Personally, I didn't make it all the way out to Key West. Lots of island hopping... sometimes you'll see nothing but water on all sides (on the Seven Mile bridge, one of the longest in the world) and at other times you'll be surrounded by dense forest. Time it right and you can end up in Key West for one of the best sunsets you'll ever see!

It's a scenic drive, but not really one that you need to have a Solstice to enjoy. There arn't really an elevation changes, there is lots of local traffic (and no one is in a big hurry) and speed limits are well enforced.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
naoki said:
Overseas highway between U.S. 1 (the road is actually a continuation of I-95) from Miami to Key West is great.

Personally, I didn't make it all the way out to Key West. Lots of island hopping... sometimes you'll see nothing but water on all sides (on the Seven Mile bridge, one of the longest in the world) and at other times you'll be surrounded by dense forest. Time it right and you can end up in Key West for one of the best sunsets you'll ever see!

It's a scenic drive, but not really one that you need to have a Solstice to enjoy. There arn't really an elevation changes, there is lots of local traffic (and no one is in a big hurry) and speed limits are well enforced.
Driving the highway through the keys is a lot of fun! Its been a long time since I was down that highway. How are the side rails on those bridges? My only thought would be that riding in a low roadster may make you feel a little closed in if it had high enough side rails that you couldn't see off the bridges too well. I do not remember how high they are anymore. If its not too bad, it would be a nice drive in a convertable!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
US1 is also a great road here in FL. Many places it's also A1A which is a road that goes along the east FL coast and you can see the ocean from several places. I'll proabbly head due east to Cocoa and ride A1A up to St. Augustine and then back.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
wwp said:
The loop in Flagler Beach Florida right outside of Daytona awesome motorcycle ride great roadster drive :patriot
I agree, very nice area to drive.

A1A is also a very nice area in some places right along the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Million Dollar Highway - 550

I was actually wanting to ask you all the same question! Glad to see so many others have already shared where they love to drive...

So far, the best road I've driven, is the Million Dollar Highway - 550, North of Durango, Colorado, past Silverton, to the town of Ouray... I am planning on driving it again with my husband when I take delivery this summer... he has YET to see it!

I live in Michigan, but my mom lives in St. Louis - so I can fly there, take delivery and head west....

DreamerDave mentioned going through South/Central Colorado... and mentioned Durango... are you heading up the Million Dollar Highway, Dave?

If you have a passenger - heading North should be TOTALLY awesome for the passenger, as you are on the Eastern slope of the mountain, with the valley to your right... no guardrails - just amazing mountains. There are mountains just to your right, too....

The best part in my opinion, is from Silverton to Ouray..........

I like heading North, because it just gets better as you go.... but South is very nice, too - especially some of the views... you can get a clear view of Red Mountain Pass (a RED mountain) - which I didn't even notice when I was headed north...

here's a map:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=Ouray&state=CO&zipcode=

Ouray is a sweet little town, too...

And there are hot springs in the area... even a clothing optional one North of Ouray just before Ridgway.

If you head west from Ridgway, just North of Ouray, you can get to Telluride - where I'm planning on going this year... just to see it. apparently - it's spectacular.... the town is just nestled in a U shape of mountains... and there's only the one "real" road in, so it's still quite isolated.

If you want to take a Jeep, you can get over the mountains....

but....

I'd take the roadster!

:)

just for the record, though - you WILL look out of place in a roadster there...
it IS Jeep country!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Rocky Mountain National Park is an awesome drive in a roadster. My trip across the Rockies in an MGB roadster was one of the most enjoyable trip of my life. Nothing to obstruct your view of those majestic mountains.
:cool:

·
4,592 Posts
jimmyo said:
Rocky Mountain National Park is an awesome drive in a roadster. My trip across the Rockies in an MGB roadster was one of the most enjoyable trip of my life. Nothing to obstruct your view of those majestic mountains.
:cool:
Very nice ride indeed! Did it in my 4x4, but it was fall and cold :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
jimmyo said:
Yea, in the Rockies, summer runs from July 1 to 31. Once got caught in a snowstorm the first week in August. :cool:

yea, that's not exactly optimal roadster territory :lol:

Ever been to Glenwood Springs (east CO)? What a beautiflul area, been there twice! And great crab enchiladas, go figure, CO has great crab enchiladas :brentil:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts