Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What's your opinion on this

9K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Goat67 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 GXP coupe ( Mysterious black )

[/IMG]

( Down the road, I will consider if I want to swap for a V8 )

What's your opinion of swapping for a ZR-1 32 valve 4 cam
( I found one on Ebay...I'd have to have it completely rebuild top to bottom )

Would it work with the cars computer set-up -- I think it would look pretty good

Has anyone every put a non LS V8 in a solstice..I've see a 2JZ Straight 6
( that's not right IMO )
all I have seen is LS3 / LS2 / LS7 / LS1 I'd like to see a 1st generation ZR1 motor in a Solstice It would be something you would never expect under the hood of this car

See less See more
#3 ·
If you want to drive it on the street, emissions laws dictate that the swapped engine be the same model year or later as the car the engine is being swapped into.

In your case the replacement engine would have to be a 2009 or newer. Therefore only LS3 or LS7, even LS1 and LS2 are too old.

:huh::dunno:

#5 ·
Drop a 392 hemi in it and stuff a blower on it :devil:

#6 ·
You're driving a very special car. One of only a few produced. Why change it? It is what it is. It's got great acceleration and decent handling and braking and you don't have to do anything to it but routine maintenance. You will spend 10 or 12 grand putting that motor in the car with all the changes you have to make. And for what? A second or two in the quarter? Just so you can say you did it? If I had all the money I dumped into cars as a young man other than for no good reason other then how it made me feel I'd have quite a nest egg by now. Think it over. You want that kind of performance but a car that was built around that engine. You will enjoy it a lot more and you won't have the headaches that a conversion usually brings.

#9 ·
Hi there!

What's your opinion of swapping for a ZR-1 32 valve 4 cam
( I found one on Ebay...I'd have to have it completely rebuild top to bottom )

Would it work with the cars computer set-up
I once saw a ZR-1 engine, in the crate, sell for $15,000. Not "asking price", *sold*.

The short answer is that no, it won't work with the existing computers without extensive modifications.

The ZR-1 engine is a weird beast, very low total production, and parts are both difficult to find and expensive. Any hotrod parts that were ever made for it are probably long gone by now, or stupid-expensive. So, you're stuck at the ~375HP level without forced induction or nitrous.

As cool as it sounds on paper, it would be both a nightmare and a money pit to execute.

If I were wanting a unique DOHC V8 in the car, I'd look into what it would take to stuff a Northstar in there. You could at least find a 2009+ model year engine and have a hope of making the electronics work.

#10 ·
LT5's was an interesting engine in the day. Almost double the cost of 1990 Vette, by 1992 the LT1 was almost as quick for half the cost. So GM killed the ZR1. All the spare GM parts for that engine were scooped up by a few companies when GM said it was going out of production. There is a early and later production with a different HP rating, but were impressive then, down right low now. Looking online seems like it was tested stock at 12.8 which seems about right, I've run quicker in my Solstice and the Solstice is not quick by any means today. But will out handle most "performance" cars.

Would look "interesting" will give it credit there. More I think about the LT5 might be a bit long and too high in the front to fit. Oil filter is on the front of the engine. It's also a wide engine,

#11 ·
Your car will have kick-ass performance with a good tune, for just a few hundred dollars. Honestly, you won't believe the difference! Try it first.
If you need more power, you can make some modest changes to the engine and turbos and have scary power (but very streeable) for about $5k.
Why spend upwards of $20k to plunk a big heavy V8 down over your front wheels? You don't need it. I'm an old muscle car guy, but a well-tuned turbo 4cyl has converted me!

#32 · (Edited)
I do agree with you on this point Saw a SS camaro creepin up heard him gun it and I nailed it and put 15 car lenghts on him....... at the light( the dirty looks came from his girlfriend ) HAH AHA he was pissed screamin down the street, i eventually caught up to him and he ran down the interstate ramp I just wanted opinions, I'm pretty satified with my TURBO 4-banger (aR aR aR) I may consider the tune
( Just not real excited about plunking down more $$$ for premium gas )

With that in mind i wasn't real serious about swapping in a V8 anytime in the near future . It would be a cool car to have... Thanks guys! :thumbs: If my typhoon CAI ever shows up at my door I'll have my mod for the year---I really love this punchy twin-cam 4 cyl The body styling of the coupe...I have a vette and she sits while the coupe gets to go for a ride

:thumbs:

#12 ·
A built 2.0L + a hahn 20g and a 5th injector will net you over 500whp that has a very wide powerband.

See monadzbak for more details on the sky forum.

You can build an entire 2.0L project for way less than a V8 and make much more power. But you cannot replace the "v8 rumble" that so many crave. So its a matter of do you want the sound, or the performance?

#14 ·
I can't find where Jeb made over 500 to the ground thread on either forum. Can you provide a link? I would like to see the graph to compare it to a NA 571rwhp 6.6L V8 graph.

What is the cost of a built LNF with bigger turbo and the right 5th injector setup? So about for about $5000 you can have built LNF, head, springs, cams, pistons rods, machine work and new turbo setup with the 5th injector? Using the original engine to build from?

500+rwhp is impressive no matter how you make it, boosted 2.0 or a NA V8.

#13 · (Edited)
Presumable the question is being asked because at some level your concerned/curious about what others opinions are.

No doubt a ZR1 engine would give the car a wow factor. However, engine transplants usually get two types of reactions; thumbs up (by folks who appreciated the work that was involved) or thumbs down by those who think if you wanted a V8 you might of been better off starting with a car that had one available. Also, keep in mind a lot of folks don't know (or care) what was even available for these cars. Basically, Kappa's are viewed as entry level sports car, not vette, muscle cars, Godzilla and European competition/killer's. Which means you can also take that as a challenge and prove them wrong.

Read or pick up the Solstice book and it will give you insight on what it's creators originally envisioned it to be (a nice looking, 4 cylinder, entry-level sports car). Having said that, I've always found it amazing that engineers always seem to make the engine bays of small cars large or wide enough for engine freaks to stuff or pretty much cram in whatever they want in them. It's almost as if they are saying; well that's not what the platform was primarily designed for, but we'll engineer enough room in the engine bay for those that do, because we know someone will eventually do it. Because most all true car enthusiast have a little bit of rebel in them. ;)

The GXP already performs well or has tunes and parts available to push it to compete with V8s (I'd argue at expense of longevity but that's an entirely different discussion). In addition, once you get into engine transplants territory you're essentially taking it into the custom and hot-rod arena. Which is fine if that's what or where your objective/passion is. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what we think the only person opinion that really matters is yours.

#15 ·
For sure, there is a lot of talk of dropping this or that engine into the Solstice, but not much of it makes a whole lot of sense. I love the 2JZ swap, just for the rare nature of it and the simple fact that he went out and made it happen. And of course, the LS3's are the best bets since they are emissions compliant and all the parts are out there to make them work. The old ZR1 motor seems like a nightmare since it is, well, old and the electronics would be nearly impossible. Plus, it is only 375 hp, which the GXP can make fairly easily. My old setup from Werks (big wheel turbo and supporting mods) made 400 hp, drove like a dream, and would likely leave a ZR1-based Solstice in the dust in every way.

Of course, now, I have a supercharged LS3, putting down 625 hp, which is a but over the top. But, it runs great, is actually a lot smoother than the modded 2.0 and is just a blast to drive (plus, that sound...).

Anyway, mostly these ideas are fodder for discussions on these forums. I don't really get a lot of the engine ideas, since many of them make less power than a lightly modded 2.0. The 2JZ build is unique because it is one of the great motors out there and can make up to 1,000 hp.

As I have said many times, the best idea is to get a good, used LS3 and T56 and a friend who is a mechanic and do the swap with Werks DIY kit.

#17 ·
Breaking traction just means not enough tire on the car for the power it's making.

And yes I've done that before, coming off of VHT at the 1/8th mile at the track, top of 3rd with 3.42 rear gear, T56 and 28" MT drag radial. I'll let you do the math at what MPH that was at. Was it fun, nope, snapped the blower belt had to put it in the trailer for the rest of the day. On a set of Nitto 555 RII going to WOT at any legal speed if not in 5th or 6th was useless. Power you can't use is wasted. Been there done that, no fear of blowback making that comment.

So how much cheaper is building a LNF than a LS3 for about the same HP? Then you're always tethered to where is the next E85 pump in your area. Midwest it's great here on the east coast few and far between in my local area. I think most are on Navy base exchanges. Owning a diesel I learned real quick to know where you can/can't fill up at, out of town trips takes some planning over just driving a gasser where any gas station will do.

A nicely done engine swap is great, a built stock engine is great too. Happy or Glad both give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

#19 ·
E85 is not needed to make roughly 600whp. People have been making 600whp with evo's for years and running 9's on 93 octane.

If you are worried about "usable power", you should upgrade to a corvette or viper or perhaps a GTR/Evo with AWD. I thought we were talking about making power in a 4 cyl here....Everything CAN spin but it takes a driver to keep it in the grip department.

Also here is an evo with a stock short block, some springs/retainers, turbo and exhaust... runs 487awhp and still loses grip on slicks. Hmmm Usable power is again all up to the drivers skill level.

Aaron's Evo 11.50 - YouTube

#18 ·
This reminds me of the guy that wanted to put a 1960 era 283 into a Solstice. Why?

These cars have one of the most interesting engines going technologically, and unless you are all about nothing but having visual impact when you raise the hood, I can see no reason whatsoever to take 2 steps backward and stick an old tech engine in there.

Hey - tune the LNF and have a fake ZR1 plastic shroud that fits over the 4 cylinder and you'll get your visual impact and higher power to boot.....

#23 ·
As far as a coupe, I am a fan of keeping the motor that was designed for the car in the car. Hence why i find V8 swaps to be more audio mods than power mods. I am just citing different cars that have the "power" of a v8, without the swap. But I also understand many people like the rumble, and the V8 is the only way to get that.

And I am just sharing car knowledge here. Not sure how that is "cheer leading"

#24 ·
Different means to the same end. The only thing that matters is how big of a grin you get every time you throttle things.

I think I just have a kappa-swap addiction. Been trying to figure out what to do with a wrecked sol for the past half year, think I finally got that handled though.

#26 ·
In my opinion the average age of an ardent traditionalist solstice owner is about 42 give or take a couple of years. When dealing with an older age group you're dealing with people who have the ability to spend more on products. The creators originally make the platform with enough room for improvement. A big engine in a tiny car = G forces, smoking tires, incredible noise, and horrified stares. I have to admit that as I look at others' cars I can't help but think of all the things I would change if the car were mine. In my case, if it's not right and perfect, it gets more attention. There is always great satisfaction in creating something and having others appreciate the quality that went into the build. When you hear some kid or old man yell "check that out!" Or "Wow how cool"...and the looks you get driving it...poetry in motion. That's just my opinion.

#27 ·
Miller

Would pulling the fronts on the 1-2 shift be considered enough power, good tire and driver combo and super car level of performance? I found a video of that, guessing the car is doing about 50mph at a 1/4 mile track. Grant you it's a street driven V8 not a high strung turbo 4, so it might not be your cup of tea.

GM

Thanks for the tip about 275-40-18's :) Almost 3 years after the fact for me but still good info for those that don't know about the advantage they give. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/new-shoes-199-a-57161/

My project today is put SS brake lines on the Solstice to add to the EBC yellow pads I've been running.

After thinking about the LT5 swap, would look really impressive but there are less visual appealing V8 engines out there that would make more power for less money. You can relocate the coil packs on a LSx engine to make it look more eye appealing when you pop the hood.

#30 ·
Miller

Would pulling the fronts on the 1-2 shift be considered enough power, good tire and driver combo and super car level of performance? I found a video of that, guessing the car is doing about 50mph at a 1/4 mile track. Grant you it's a street driven V8 not a high strung turbo 4, so it might not be your cup of tea.

GM

Thanks for the tip about 275-40-18's :) Almost 3 years after the fact for me but still good info for those that don't know about the advantage they give.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/new-shoes-199-a-57161/

My project today is put SS brake lines on the Solstice to add to the EBC yellow pads I've been running.

After thinking about the LT5 swap, would look really impressive but there are less visual appealing V8 engines out there that would make more power for less money. You can relocate the coil packs on a LSx engine to make it look more eye appealing when you pop the hood.

Ouch! Way to diss me while at the same time insinuating that the rest of the guys on here aren't smart enough to know about tire sizes on their cars. Sneaky double stab with a side of chest beating, nice!

How about this... Should I post pictures of the $750K, one of a kind, world famous, championship winning race car sitting in my driveway? Or how about pictures of me working as a pit crew member during the Indy 500? Or I could tell you how much better getting the D78/14's off of a '66 GT350 would be and that the F70/15's worked way better, but that would be 30 years after the fact for me. Lol.

I see where this is going, I'm out.

#28 ·
0-60 fast is COMPLETELY different that 60-100 fast.

Not sure why this is such a chest beating argument for you.

I have been a corvette kid for years, if you check out my YT you will see what is sitting around. I am not saying a turbo 4 is better than a V8 in all applications. I am saying in a kappa, I prefer a 4 cyl vs a motor swap. That is my opinion, and does not mean your opinion is invalid.

One of the next projects i plan to help with is a chassis vega drag car. Planning a SBC with twins.

#29 ·
Hi there!

For a street car in the U.S., we're pretty much limited to car engines from the same model year or newer to keep the EPA happy. No older engines, nothing from trucks. That said, I think you could probably get an LS-based 4.8 or 5.3 truck engine to look enough like a car engine to the electronic observers that it would pass. That's definitely true for the 6.0 engine (i.e. Escalade) since that displacement was also in cars.

For show or track duty, you're limited really only by budget. The LT5 is a fantastic looking piece, but it's stupid-expensive, and the LT5 guys I've talked to have been complaining about parts availability for a while. Unless you just happen to stumble into one cheap, it's probably not worth it.

For fun, something like the Northstar keeps coming to mind. All aluminum, DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder, V8, 300+ HP (depending on build level), and a 7000 RPM redline. All of the benefits from the LT5 (except maybe looks, it's not a beautiful engine), and still in production.

The other engine that keeps coming up is the DI V6 Camaro engine. If GM had put that in there, stock, it would be fantastic. But as people keep pointing out, that's a terrible swap idea since a V8 swap is almost less work (since it's a known quantity), and makes more power. Few would be impressed by a V6 under the hood at a show (most wouldn't know it was even a swap).

Besides, if I wanted an "interesting" V6, I'd either grab the 3.4DOHC Z24 engine (though stock it's not that powerful), or from another brand, something like the Yamaha DOHC V6 from an older Taurus SHO (which is just a thought experiment, since I've never driven one and part of me doesn't want to stuff a Ford engine in a Pontiac...).

#31 ·
There is, and will always be someone out there that will spend more money and run faster. There is a very limited number of GXP coupes, and you are lucky enough to own one. I've chopped up some pretty nice cars, and have been happy with some, and disappointed with others. I'd do some serious research about what you can get out of your LNF. The 2.0 is built to handle quite a bit of HP, and there are alot of things you can do that will increase your power. By staying with the LNF your weight stays the same which is very well balanced (front to back), and lighter than most of the current "muscle" cars. Pounds per Horsepower determine how fast a car really is. My GXP regularly out runs cars that are "supposed" to be faster because of thier higher HP numbers, but those cars are fat, and overweight, so they lose and I laugh. Not that it may matter to you, but I'm sure I'm not the only one getting more than 34 mpg with a performance LNF, which I'm guessing is better than what you will see from an LS.

#34 ·
If I'm not.mistaken I think you can hit 350 on the stock turbo or at least close.enough

#36 ·
The EFR 6758 works great are cars. And could pushed to 500whp. GMT stopped at 460whp because he has stock rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.