Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the Sol. sitting in the garage. Full tank of gas, Stabil in the gas, a bottle of dry gas also.

All waxed, and covered with a soft cloth cover.

I paid 19 bucks at Walmart and bought the Schumacher battery companion.

It has the auto float mode, and lights that show charging and float mode. It says it will not overcharge the battery. real easy to hook up.

All 4 tires sitting on rubber mats.

Now, Some people suggest starting the car once a month and some people tell me not to start it till next spring. The battery will be ok with the auto charger.

I have read all the posts from all over the internet. Some say do some say don't!

To start or not to start?? That is the Question. Any advice would be appreciated. Mitch

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Solstice is my daily driver so I vote for starting every day :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
While I will store mine in the garage only between drives I know where you are coming from (I live in Minnesota but I'm driving this car every 'dry' day).

Everyone has their own opinions on proper storage and it sounds to me like you are right on track. One possible addition to your list, store the car on its tires but get a used set. This will save tires while allowing your car to 'stay on it's feet'. Only problem is I don't think it would be to easy to find a set of worn tires in the proper tire size this soon after the cars release. 18's still are somewhat uncommon. Also watch for rodents, seen many stored cars with lot's of damage from rodent nests!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Move to Florida for the winters :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tabletops said:
Move to Florida for the winters :)

And Stay for the hurricanes in the Summer & fall! ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you start the car from time to time what is going to happen is that it will draw a lot of moisture from the heat of the engine when it cools and the moisture is not good. If I had it in cold storage I would not start it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never started my '82 Vette after storing for the winter... It was stored each year from the end of October or early November until sometime in April depending on the weather. My garage is unheated.

With the auto float mode to take care of your battery, you will be good to go in the spring...

I didn't see it in your post, but assume you have the tank topped off to prevent moisture condensation. :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dls6774 said:
I never started my '82 Vette after storing for the winter... It was stored each year from the end of October or early November until sometime in April depending on the weather. My garage is unheated.

With the auto float mode to take care of your battery, you will be good to go in the spring...

I didn't see it in your post, but assume you have the tank topped off to prevent moisture condensation. :)
Yup! full tank of gas.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My Comments

1. Never start it till you are going to take it out of storage. Engine heat will cause moisture which can be detrimental to the engine. Any time you start the engine it will take around twenty minutes plus of driving to remove all moisture.

2. Increase all tires around five psi over normal.

3. If stored in an area where moisture is possible spray a good marine oil base protective spray on the engine and misc. parts. This will prevent corriosion and is easily washed off in the spring.

4. About once a month use a Battery Tender to update the charge. Constant trickle charging is not necessary on a good battery. Insure full charge prior to starting.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Winter storage

If you are storing the car for more than a month, disconnect the negative battery terminal and put a wad of steel wool in the exhaust tip to keep mice from going in (they won't go through steel wool). Also, put a light coat of oil on the disc brakes or they could get all covered w/ rust.......be careful on making them unsafe. Stabil in the tank is good, extra air in the tires has been recommended too.

I'm in Michigan and storing my sol in my barn. I use the Carbag available at carbag.com or at 1-800-5-CARBAG. I lay the bag on an old carpet too keep any stones from harming the bag. Drive onto the bag with a dry car, set the bags of drying agents around the car, and zip it up. You will get no corrosion, no dust, and the brake rotors will be rust-free in the spring.

I've used the bag on another vehicle and my friend has used his for almost 20 years. They cost about $225.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
toyman said:
If you are storing the car for more than a month, disconnect the negative battery terminal and put a wad of steel wool in the exhaust tip to keep mice from going in (they won't go through steel wool). Also, put a light coat of oil on the disc brakes or they could get all covered w/ rust.......be careful on making them unsafe. Stabil in the tank is good, extra air in the tires has been recommended too.

I'm in Michigan and storing my sol in my barn. I use the Carbag available at carbag.com or at 1-800-5-CARBAG. I lay the bag on an old carpet too keep any stones from harming the bag. Drive onto the bag with a dry car, set the bags of drying agents around the car, and zip it up. You will get no corrosion, no dust, and the brake rotors will be rust-free in the spring.

I've used the bag on another vehicle and my friend has used his for almost 20 years. They cost about $225.
I like the sound of this carbag thing.... PLEASE watch out for the rodents. Some poison or something in your trunk or under the car may not be a bad idea. I stored my mustang just 1 winter... did the engine stuff and a *&^#% Mouse tore my UP. Never did find that little bugger!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
ateam_77 said:
If you start the car from time to time what is going to happen is that it will draw a lot of moisture from the heat of the engine when it cools and the moisture is not good. If I had it in cold storage I would not start it.
I have had 5 collector cars and have stored them
in cold garages. Started them once in awhile and drove them when the streets were clear. No problems. I still have a 65 TR-4 that gets that treatment. No prob.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
I have had 5 collector cars and have stored them
in cold garages. Started them once in awhile and drove them when the streets were clear. No problems. I still have a 65 TR-4 that gets that treatment. No prob.
:agree: If you leave it sit for extende periods of time without running it, the seals will shrink.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got this from the Corvette People.
Engine Start
Last but not least: "Should I start my Corvette periodically, or leave it alone until it's ready to come out of storage?" This is definitely the most commonly asked question when it comes to automotive storage and there seems to be two opposing sides. One side feels that you should start your car at least once per month and let it run for a good 20 minutes plus until the cooling fans kick in. The other side feels that you should leave the car alone until it's time to remove it from storage. Again, we asked David Scott at GM. "It is always best to start your vehicle once a month if possible." When this is not practical, David offers the following guidelines:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle Storage of 9 months or less:

• Change oil and filter
• Store vehicle with full fuel tank using winter fuel - available nationwide after Oct. 1 (Higher Vapor Pressure)
• Disconnect negative battery cable

To prepare vehicle for use:

• Change oil and filter (eliminates moisture in crankcase)
• Charge battery
• Connect battery cable

Vehicle Storage of 9 months to 18 months:

• Change oil and filter
• Store vehicle with full fuel tank and use a fuel stability additive
• Remove the spark plugs and add approximately one (1) ounce of engine oil to each cylinder. Install spark plugs and rotate engine.

• Charge battery
• Connect battery cable

Vehicle Storage of 18 months and longer:

• Change oil and filter
• Remove the spark plugs and add approximately one (1) ounce of engine oil to each cylinder. Install spark plugs and rotate engine.
• Drain the fuel system

• Charge battery
• Connect battery cable
• Fuel vehicle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:willy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Winter storage recommendations

it is fairly straight forward...
this is what i have been doing and has worked for me for years...This car is no exception

I store the car from Late November to early March...now depending on snow issues in my region of the country.i have driven up to Christmas day with the solstice...obviously with the top up...but that being said....i have had to store it in early October because we got a blizzard and the weather got bad and dangerous for this roadster.

...it all depends on when the snow starts to become an issue and when the snow and crap weather is completely gone.
The snow is not what destroys the car...its the salt and sand the hurt the vehcile and damage it....these cars are not ment for snow...its a summer car...if you think anything more than that...You have the wrong car.I have seen a few solstice owners driving thier cars in snow...Your just asking for trouble and a bad accident.

So...that being said ]Here is the correct way to store your solstice

fill the tank with premium fuel and change the oil and filter regardless of whether it needs it or not....a clean filter and clean oil is a smart idea.

Put stablizler in the fuel tank

Start the car and let it idle for approx 15minutes to allow the stabilizer to get through the engine system

Once every second week...for me i do it every saturday...weather permitting of course...start the car ...do yourself the favour of simply starting it...take it out of the garage and simply slowly drive up and down your driveway a few times.

A battery tender is not necessary.....if you just leave the car sitting there...you will have issues possibly when you do finally decide to take it out of storage...You could have seal issues and a dead battery.

I will not disconnect the neg battery terminal....you will loose the ecm memory and it will have to learn again.
but if you simply just start it as i mentioned and do that little drive in your driveway,,,you wont have problems
i have never had any problems doing exactly what i mentioned

there...thats it...no big issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
has anybody thought that the cars that sit on dealers lots thru out the winter time that dont get started ,outside in the cold with no fuel and they dont have any problems
mind you i store my 07 na on jack stands ,start it up every week for at least 30 min go thru
all the gears . checked oil and still is clear and clean will change it when i pull it out of storage
i think alot of owners take this topic way to serious,
put the car away and dream about the day it comes out of storage,have fun

1 - 20 of 32 Posts