Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 gxp auto 45k miles, got 2 years ago with 30k Has done since we bought it, not all the time but 30% of time.
right front makes grinding noise when turning less than 20mph like into a side road off main road, doesnt matter left or right. Had up in air inspecting everything no play on bearing nothing else looks/feels bad either. New pads and rotors few weeks ago. Sounds like metal on metal rub/grinding. Zero noise any other time

thoughts?
i ordered a new oem wheel bearing hoping my diagnosis is correct.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If you're not sure wait for a while. It's not going to fail catastrophically, not for a long while any way and see if it get worse if you're not entirely sure.
Could be the brakes if the rotors are bad but likely the bearing if I was to guess. You say it doesn't appear sloppy? If it's the bearing, it will be over time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few inches off ground using a bar lifting up to check for any play in bearing, ball joints ect along with spinning in the air produced no noise/play
new rotors and pads a few weeks ago

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
More then likely its the pads and rotors. When you turn, the rotor does flex a minuscule amount. And many times on new pads and rotors, they will make contact and cause a squeal or grinding noise. If you used metallic pads, this could be a continuous issue for you until you replace the pads again. That's why ceramic are always better...they don't make noise.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Check for contact between the stone shield and the rotor. I have had three out of my eight do that at some point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep checked shields when installed rotors and one of four was close but pulled it out further to match others about 3/8 of a inch clearance now.
noise was same before and after break job, oem was removed and powerstop z17 installed

not steady but more of a pulsating grind/noise
tire and rim show no signs of contacting anything, inner fender no marks either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope wasn’t the bearing, back to the guessing board. My installer says their is a little play in the rack in pinion shaft going to that side but minimal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts