Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the Kappa uses AC Delco FW280......we all know that.

the Coballt uses FW 301....

has anyone used the much much much much cheaper Cobalt Wheel bearings on the Kappa platforms and simply made a spacer ring for the brake disc.

the two specs show that the Cobalt has a smaller brake pilot of 65.4mm vs the Kappa 70mm and that there is .1mm (yes .003") difference in flange offset.

Please advise as this info would help with brake upgrades as well from the Cobalt parts bins..... like Brembo brake upgrades, etc.

comparing the specs

FW280
Anti Lock Braking SystemYes
Anti Lock Braking System TypeSENSOR
Bolt Circle Diameter (IN)4.3310
Bolt Circle Diameter (MM)110.00
Brake Pilot Diameter (In)2.756
Brake Pilot Diameter (MM)70.00
Connector GenderFemale
Connector Quantity1
Connector Terminal Quantity2
Flange Bolt Hole Diameter (IN)0.472
Flange Bolt Hole Diameter (MM)12.00
Flange Bolt Hole Quantity3
Flange Bolts IncludedNo
Flange Diameter (in)5.3937
Flange Diameter (MM)137.00
Flange Offset (in)1.532
Flange Offset (MM)38.90
Flange ShapeTRIANGULAR
Hub Pilot Diameter (IN)3.543
Hub Pilot Diameter (MM)90.00
Spline Quantity30
Terminal GenderMale
Wheel Pilot Diameter (IN)2.5590
Wheel Pilot Diameter (MM)65.000
Wheel Stud Quantity5
Wheel Stud Size (in)0.472
Wheel Studs IncludedYes

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 10345966

to FW 301

Anti Lock Braking SystemYes
Anti Lock Braking System TypeSENSOR
Bolt Circle Diameter (IN)4.3310
Bolt Circle Diameter (MM)110.00
Brake Pilot Diameter (In)2.575
Brake Pilot Diameter (MM)65.40
Connector GenderFemale
Connector Quantity1
Connector Terminal Quantity2
Flange Bolt Hole Diameter (IN)0.472
Flange Bolt Hole Diameter (MM)12.00
Flange Bolt Hole Quantity3
Flange Bolts IncludedNo
Flange Diameter (in)5.3937
Flange Diameter (MM)137.00
Flange Offset (in)1.535
Flange Offset (MM)39.00
Flange ShapeTRIANGULAR
Hub Pilot Diameter (IN)3.543
Hub Pilot Diameter (MM)90.00
Spline Quantity30
Terminal GenderMale
Wheel Pilot Diameter (IN)2.5590
Wheel Pilot Diameter (MM)65.000
Wheel Stud Quantity5
Wheel Stud Size (in)0.472
Wheel Studs IncludedYes

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 15793213

There are chinesium parts available at low prices, however I put 100 miles a day on the daily whip and would prefer not to have a wheel bearing go south while at the top of the skyway bridge.

Makes sense since the prototype Kappa's were made from existing Cobalt, Colorado and Montana parts bins at the time in 2002

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
646 Posts
I had thought about this too....eye wood think yes they should work.and if your wheel bearing go's south on the skyway bridge make sure your also headed south!!! we went over that in our racecar hauler a time or 2 comming back from bradenton strip, what a sight... I decided not to drive my solstice over it when I bought it in sarasoda last year since I didnt know weather to trust it or not....( car not bridge)
the price for the solstice units aint bad for our cars. I dont like china bearings...but they have got a lot better over the years.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is there a difference between the Cobalt SS and standard Cobalt Hubs? I have heard the SS brake upgrade on a Kappa requires a wheel spacer & longer lug studs. If the Cobalt SS hubs fit it would be another option for our cars.

Thanks for posting this

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
It seems like a lot of aggravation for $70 each, more or less.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Um...you can already get Brembo conversions from DDM Works. Why bother going any other way? Just curious, unless your a narcissist and love a challenge.

Reactions: rob the elder

·
Registered
365 Posts
Is there a difference between the Cobalt SS and standard Cobalt Hubs? I have heard the SS brake upgrade on a Kappa requires a wheel spacer & longer lug studs...
The spacer/studs are required because the larger caliper hits the inside of the solstice wheel spokes.

Um...you can already get Brembo conversions from DDM Works. Why bother going any other way? Just curious, unless your a narcissist and love a challenge.
I've starting looking into this for over the winter. I'll probably blow everybody's mind when I downsize my brakes. I just don't need a "big" brake package for autox and street driving, but shedding ~15-20lbs at a time my calipers need rebuilt anyway seems like a plan. Plus the DDM kit isn't really balanced. It has too much front brake and their recommendation to spend $1,000 on their kit and then re-balance by handicapping yourself with a a less-aggressive front pad just seems silly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like a lot of aggravation for $70 each, more or less.
its more like $125 each between the two AC Delco part numbers, so for $250, its worth it.... that is at least 8 good cases of beer..... or fuel for the boat...... or an up graded carb for the boat

Plus I have access to about 6 lathes and a laser, so 65.4mm ID / 70mm OD spacer rings are not a problem

I will head to the FLAPS with a dial caliper and one of my current wheel bearings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, pulled the trigger with Rock Auto on two FW301's total cost was $218 (with shipping and discount coupon) vs the $470 with the FW280's

·
Registered
21 Posts
has anyone tried taking the bearing to an industrial supplier to see if they can be matched? I did this with Harley bearings and the price was a fraction of the Harley cost for exactly the same thing. Kaman Bearing is pretty reliable.

·
Super Moderator
7,544 Posts
has anyone tried taking the bearing to an industrial supplier to see if they can be matched? I did this with Harley bearings and the price was a fraction of the Harley cost for exactly the same thing. Kaman Bearing is pretty reliable.
It isn't just a bearing, it is an assembly that includes the mounting flange, the wheel flange, and the ABS sensor, along with the bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts