Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody talk about larger wheel and tire options? I have no clue about what will fit and what won't, but I'd like to have larger wheels that fill the wheel wells all the way to the edge of the fenders.
Also, are there any collections of pics anywhere showing what people have put on their Solstices?
Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great question -- and I'd like to see this extended to ALL modifications: somewhere everyone could post photos of what they've done to their cars.

Maybe even different sections -- for Exterior, Interior, Engine and whatever other categories make sense -- so that each section would only contain photos that showed various things that had been done to the same parts (areas) of the different cars.

Any way to set something like that up -- like a Garage that everyone could add photos to (I assume the way it is now is that only the garage owner can add photos to his/her own garage?).

It'd be cool to be able to see the differences all in one place -- instead of just in individual posts (which can appear in any one of the numerous sub-forums that exist).

----

Can somebody talk about larger wheel and tire options? I have no clue about what will fit and what won't, but I'd like to have larger wheels that fill the wheel wells all the way to the edge of the fenders.
Also, are there any collections of pics anywhere showing what people have put on their Solstices?
Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks -- although, as I'm sure you know, a LOT of the photos I assume were posted originally now appear as a red "X". Many of them are the "After" photos -- which really makes the post useless.

Oh well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks
Understand that it is a combination of things that will help you fill up your wheel wells. While not a Solstice, I recently did this with my Sky. This isn't my current Sky but the first one I owned. I don't know why but I can't find a picture of my current Sky in it's stock form. But this gives you an idea of what my current car looked like with the stock wheels and tires.

Now I went with the same size tire and wheel but the wheel has a 40mm offset rather than our stock 55mm offset. This pushes the tire out considerably. (The rest of the pictures are now of my current car...)

Still, there was a gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well. Now I put some BC coil overs on the car and could lower it so that's the route I went. This is with about a 1" drop...

The problem here is that now the tires will rub the fender well when you hit a bump because the tire is right at the edge of the fender. Lucky for me, I went with a autocross style alignment which changes the 0 degrees of camber the factory alignment calls for to 2.5 degrees negative in front and 1.5 degrees negative in rear. This tilts the top of the tires in just enough so that when the suspension is compressed they clear the edge of the wheel wells.

Here you can see the camber really well on the front wheels:

And here the rear...kinda:

If my calculations are correct, a +2" sized wheel with a similar to stock profile tire should give you the same look without lowering the car. A 20" wheel will have a 1" greater radius meaning it will take up one more inch of space between the axle and the wheel well...of course it will also raise your car 1"...

So you have to figure out which method would work best for you. I'm sure there are some guys here that have done different wheels with their Solstices that can give some different after shots so you can get a better idea of how the different options turn out.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Thanks -- although, as I'm sure you know, a LOT of the photos I assume were posted originally now appear as a red "X". Many of them are the "After" photos -- which really makes the post useless.

Oh well.
In that case, let's start over here, I just thought I'd point out the original picture thread.

I'll get us started with my painted grills from way-early 2006:

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice wheels Robotech, which are those?
Thanks. They are ProLine 901s 18x8 in Gunmetal.

I like that vinyl work DaveOC, did you ever try different colors?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the re-posting.

I just thought that if there was one place everyone could post their mod photos to -- other than a regular forum post/thread -- it'd be easy to find anytime in the future, to add photos to or to just see what others had done since the last time I'd looked.

In lieu of that, I'll be happy with whatever I come across.

I think the combination of brazenorangecpe's post and the photos of that now-defunct Spanish-built version of a Kappa -- and others I've seen, such as the Beira -- just keep me always interested in seeing the different looks (while never losing my attraction to the look of factory Sols).

In that case, let's start over here, I just thought I'd point out the original picture thread.

I'll get us started with my painted grills from way-early 2006:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Thanks. They are ProLine 901s 18x8 in Gunmetal.

I like that vinyl work DaveOC, did you ever try different colors?
Nicely done !

Who did the vinyl for you?
The solstice logo was done in white vinyl, and I discovered a problem with designs that came to a sharp point. They have a tendency to catch on your microfiber cleaning towel and lift off the shield. This one was done by a local sign shop.

The SolWhat? / IrishSol design was done in Silver Metallic, by an internet vendor by the name of Best Decals. It is still on my Kappashield nine years after it was originaly laid down.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very cool DaveOC. Having the right vinyl makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts