Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between OEM GM liners and aftermarket liners? Are they made of different material and finish?

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
It's my understanding that the GM wheel liners are pretty scratched up upon arrival. I assume the aftermarket ones aren't as thick/strong but I'm only speculating.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
I purchased a set from Rock Auto for spares some years back took one out of the box and sent them back . They looked cheap ,thin material ,black shiny finish I would not waste my time or money unless this is a last resort .

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
What Sting Ya says is correct, the aftermarket ones have a shiny finish, BUT they are more flexible than the OEM ones and may last longer without the cracking at the mount holes that the factory ones experience. I say 'may' as I have no actual experience of that, but they are significantly cheaper, so you'll have to make the decision for yourself.

Here's a pic to show what we mean:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a crap shoot! I'll have to think about this. So the trade off would be OEM liners may be thicker with a better finish but because of their lack of proper packaging may come scratched up?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Yeah, if the OEM liners are still available...
I had the liners changed under warranty years ago because of cracking and went through four, sending each one back as each was badly scratched. Finally the body shop asked that it be shipped in a box but that made no difference in the final product as it came out of the box all scratched as well.
A plastic protectant helps a bit to hide the scratches and although the liners on the car aren't pristine I've learned to live with it. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you were to paint the aftermarket liners they would look better but you'd have to find a paint that would stick.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought an OEM Off eBay from a dealer in Ohio a few years ago. It came unpackaged, scratched everywhere and cracked (about 1 1/2 inch) at a seam. I used a soldering iron and melted the plastic together at the crack. Never has separated. I used black wax shoe polish and a hair dryer to heat the surface to fill in the scratches and it did an ok job. As Sly Bob says a plastic protectant does a better job of hiding the scratches. I used VinylBrite and was happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
I picked up a set of OEM liners a couple of years ago for a reasonable price on Ebay and they came pretty much scratch free . I've been thinking of having them hydro dipped there is a guy near by who does this and he told me he could do my liners . I never liked the look of the OEM ones my engine compartment is highly detailed and the liners are to me one sore spot 023.jpg

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
They "are what they are" - big pieces of black polypropylene. If you do opt to paint them make sure you use a paint that is designed to work on polypropylene. I would also recommend flame "licking" them with a torch (very carefully!) prior to painting. That reduces the surface tension on the plastic and allows the paint to stick better.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I picked up a set of OEM liners a couple of years ago for a reasonable price on Ebay and they came pretty much scratch free . I've been thinking of having them hydro dipped there is a guy near by who does this and he told me he could do my liners . I never liked the look of the OEM ones my engine compartment is highly detailed and the liners are to me one sore spot View attachment 108654
You have ghe best looking engine bay I've ever seen. Very tastefully done. I love the black valve cover!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a set of OEM liners a couple of years ago for a reasonable price on Ebay and they came pretty much scratch free . I've been thinking of having them hydro dipped there is a guy near by who does this and he told me he could do my liners . I never liked the look of the OEM ones my engine compartment is highly detailed and the liners are to me one sore spot View attachment 108654
Nice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my 09 RL both fender liners were cracked. I got aftermarket ones and for the most part they fit (a few holes needed adjustment) but they are nice and shiny and cost about 40% less several years ago.
Don't lean on them though...there thin and will dent.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent emails to about every aftermarket company on Ebay and Amazon about their liners. All of them basically said the same thing that they couldn't guarantee quality or condition and that all were made in Taiwan! Think I'm gonna go to my local GM dealer and talk to them. Thanks for all the comments!

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
There are some OEM liners listed on Ebay some of the prices are crazy but I guess when you have a limited number of parts you can pretty much charge what you want .Right now the ones for a decent price are GXP version the only difference being a hole at the bottom for cooling here are the part #'s I have NA (right) 25845786 (left) 25845787 GXP (right) 25914761 (left) 25914762 hope this helps .Just want to say THANKS ! for the compliments on my car . I have always modified my toys to my standards and I wanted the Solstice to be a worthy representation of the breed . IMG_2315.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
There are some OEM liners listed on Ebay some of the prices are crazy but I guess when you have a limited number of parts you can pretty much charge what you want .Right now the ones for a decent price are GXP version the only difference being a hole at the bottom for cooling here are the part #'s I have NA (right) 25845786 (left) 25845787 GXP (right) 25914761 (left) 25914762 hope this helps .Just want to say THANKS ! for the compliments on my car . I have always modified my toys to my standards and I wanted the Solstice to be a worthy representation of the breed . View attachment 108704
Nice fenders! Are those Norm's?

·
Registered
931 Posts
The aftermarket liners do look shiny and therefore cheap. But you can paint them with Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer and get a fairly good OEM look. Plastic resurfacer is also good to cover scratches on OEM liners. But, I like the idea of hydrodip. You could do a carbon fiber look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts