Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, I know...wheels have been discussed to death on the forum. I also know the specs of our wheels
5x110
55mm offset
18" x 8"

I am wondering how far I can deviate from the offset if I stick with the other parameters before I will start rubbing on my fender/quarter? I have found many wheels that I like, but they're a 40mm offset. Will that work? Will it rub? I want to keep my current tires if I can. If I stick to the 55mm offset, I'm extremely limited to the wheel that I can purchase. My OE wheels are leaking so bad that it's time for new ones.... Any help or comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Reactions: rob the elder

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I know that the top of the wheel will move out 15mm (0.6") more. I'm just worried about it rubbing with the stock suspension on the fender/quarter. Especially with bumps. I do live in MI and the roads are stuck in 1930....

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Check out Fast Wheels and Steelmesh's 19x9.5 + 45 Fast Wheels FCO4A thread. The rims are priced well (and light) and the mods needed are not difficult. I added ARP wheel stud while the hubs were off. Sorry about the lack of a direct link. With the US exchange rate it's a win if you can live with the style of rim. I used Canada Wheels to order mine but in a different size.
Buy the way,
Thank you Steelmesh

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While his look great, I'm not grinding down my hub to fit a set of wheels!!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Is there a reason I can't find the thread???

Check out Fast Wheels and Steelmesh's 19x9.5 + 45 Fast Wheels FCO4A thread. The rims are priced well (and light) and the mods needed are not difficult. I added ARP wheel stud while the hubs were off. Sorry about the lack of a direct link. With the US exchange rate it's a win if you can live with the style of rim. I used Canada Wheels to order mine but in a different size.
Buy the way,
Thank you Steelmesh

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I'm correct...I have to stay with the 5x110 lug pattern, and probably shouldn't go less then a 40offset if I stay with 18x8 and my OE tire size....what about bore? Can I use a 73.10 bore? That's just a bigger center hole....correct? Will I need any adapters? I must buy new rims, my OEs are losing about 30psi of air a week....so the chrome is peeling around the bead....

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
So if I'm correct...I have to stay with the 5x110 lug pattern, and probably shouldn't go less then a 40offset if I stay with 18x8 and my OE tire size....what about bore? Can I use a 73.10 bore? That's just a bigger center hole....correct? Will I need any adapters? I must buy new rims, my OEs are losing about 30psi of air a week....so the chrome is peeling around the bead....
I believe the standard wheels have a center bore of 65.1 mm. You will need an adapter ring if you use a wheel with a larger center bore.

At least that is my opinion.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Preface: I started writing this post in response to this thread but got carried away and it turned into a general Sol/Sky wheel fitment guide.

I have been doing some research recently to try and find some new wheels for my car. Here is what I have collected so far from other posts on the Forum.

You are better off finding a company that will custom make wheels in our bolt pattern than trying to find a off the shelf choice. Forgestar | The World's First Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Wheels seems to be a common choice for people looking to upgrade wheels.

Unfortunately custom made wheels are expensive. If you can't swing the $$$$ for a set of custom wheels the next best choice would be to look for a similar bolt pattern wheel and have them redrilled. Some manufactures will offer this service for an additional charge if you just contact them. There are two members on the FB group that have had the Avid.1 AV-52 wheels redrill when they ordered them from www.aspiremotoring.com. These wheels are much more affordable than custom wheels. If the manufacture or dealer won't redrill them there are some places online that offer a special redrilling service if you send them your wheels. Felgen Meister Wheel Re-drilling Service - FM-Wheels.com

Some members have bought new hubs and had them redrilled to a different bolt pattern but I don't really like that option because there is a high up cost for parts and machining and then every time you change rotors you are going to have to get them redrilled to the new bolt pattern also. This only seems like it would pay off if you wanted to change wheels offten.

Ok, now for what exactly fits on our cars. I don't like using offset to determine where a wheel is going to fit in the wheel well because offset is determined by wheel width. Instead I like to use backspacing. It is the same no matter how wide the wheel is. So now we need to determine what is the most backspacing a wheel can have and not hit the frame/suspension arms.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/my-new-wheels-108265/index3.html#post1842241
In this post Roxer shows the clearance between the rear upper control arm and his new 18x9.5 +43 Forgestar F14. Judging by that picture I would say that +45 offset would be the a absolute maximum offset for a 9.5" wide wheel. Now I use this converter Converter - CCWheel to show that that +45 on a 9.5" wheel is 7.02" backspacing.

Lets not just take one persons word for it. Lets look at another example.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/wide-rims-111281/#post1637497
In this post shabby tells that a 18x9 +55 rubbed and a 5mm spacer was used to change the offset to +50. When we use the converter we find out that +55 on a 9" wide wheel is 7.17" backspacing and as we determined earlier that is to much. +50 on a 9" wheel is is 6.97" backspacing so it will work fine.

So using 7" backspacing as the maximum here are the highest offsets you can have for each width.
+63 on a 8" (6.98" backspacing)
+57 on a 8.5" (6.99" backspacing)
+50 on a 9" (6.97" backspacing)
+44 on a 9.5" (6.98" backspacing)
+38 on a 10" (7" backspacing)
+31 on a 10.5" (6.97" backspacing)
+25 on a 11" (6.98" backspacing)

Keep in mind anything wider than 9.5" is going to stick out past the fender. If you want to use 9" wide wheel or less use Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit to determine the offset you need to get the wheel close to the fender. For example the face of a 9.5" +44, 9"+38, and a 8.5"+31 will all be in the same spot.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/19x9-5-45-fast-wheels-fc04a-122065/
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/forgestar-f14-122105/
If you haven't read these two thread I would recommend it for anyone who is looking to buy new wheels. There is a ton of conflicting information in them. If there are no pictures of the fitment posted I take it with a grain of salt. The 2 main points to take away from those two threads. With 19" or 20" wheels you can get away with more backspacing without rubbing. On some wheel designs the hub center and rear axle may stick out further than the face of the wheel.

Another thing to note is I still have the stock wheels on my car and have no experience with new wheels. I am only going by what others have posted.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geez, all I can say is I really hope my wheels don't give out!!
The sad part is what he posted about wheels is only about the 1/2 of it! If you are looking for exact fitment, we have a choice of about 20 different wheels, of which 15 look like truck wheels! Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but it' s not far off. So the next logical step is to move to a different offset in hopes of finding the same lug pattern and center bore....which is also quite limiting. I have managed to find wheels in a 40 mm offfset with all the other matching specs, but it's been a chore to find some in the price range I wanted (<$350/wheel). I'm actually looking for something similar to a 5 or 6 spoke Corvette wheel in chrome. The best I could find is the Niche Turin M170 in polished steel. Everything that fits our cars is in chrome like this wheel is $500+/wheel. We have a VERY difficult car to find aftermarket wheels.....

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
So using 7" backspacing as the maximum here are the highest offsets you can have for each width.
+63 on a 8" (6.98" backspacing)
+57 on a 8.5" (6.99" backspacing)
+50 on a 9" (6.97" backspacing)
+44 on a 9.5" (6.98" backspacing)
+38 on a 10" (7" backspacing)
+31 on a 10.5" (6.97" backspacing)
+25 on a 11" (6.98" backspacing)
So to stay within the fender what would be our lowest offset per the above widths?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Niche Turin M170 in polished steel shows a 35mm Offset, not 55mm.
I actually found them in a 40mm offset. I have to look again, but I think a 35mm will work, It'll push the wheel out 20mm (1"=2.54cm or 25.4mm).

·
Registered
150 Posts
So to stay within the fender what would be our lowest offset per the above widths?
What "fits" is subjective and up the the owner of the car really. Thats why I didn't list recommended lowest offsets. If you read the Forgestar F14 thread on page 5 (Link: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/forgestar-f14-122105/index5.html) Roxer says the the 9.5+43 are flush with the fenders and it would have fit within the fender if the tire wasn't so wide that it bulged on the wheel. In post number 53 he even states he would sacrifice frame clearance and go with a +50 to have it fit better.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What "fits" is subjective and up the the owner of the car really. Thats why I didn't list recommended lowest offsets. If you read the Forgestar F14 thread on page 5 (Link: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f55/forgestar-f14-122105/index5.html) Roxer says the the 9.5+43 are flush with the fenders and it would have fit within the fender if the tire wasn't so wide that it bulged on the wheel. In post number 53 he even states he would sacrifice frame clearance and go with a +50 to have it fit better.
Again, I'm not planning on going bigger then 18x8. He went 19x9.5, so he's 1/2" taller, and 3/4" wider on both sides....and 12mm further out. Why do you all think I'm going with a 9.5" rim??? :brentil: I want to use the tires that I already have on my current OE wheel.

So let's do some math.

25.4mm = 1"
so 12mm ~ 1/2" further out

So....1/2" + 3/4" = 1.25" further out toward the fender (1/4 panel), not too mention 1/2" taller. So yes, his will be a very tight fit.

If I use the 40mm on an 18x8":

25.4mm = 1"
so 15mm = 3/5" (or 1cm less then 1")

This would be no problem!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts