Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since GM has indicated an availability problem with chrome rims until Sept. does anyone who has been to the shows know if the stock rims are polished aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer) or painted????

·
Registered
767 Posts
PAS22 said:
Since GM has indicated an availability problem with chrome rims until Sept. does anyone who has been to the shows know if the stock rims are polished aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer) or painted????
The wheels on the show car at Kansas City were polished and they looked very nice!
:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I can live with polished aluminum. Thanks Jimmyo!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your thinking painted rims are stock?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PAS22 said:
So your thinking painted rims are stock?
My guess is standard wheels are aluminum, but not polished or chromed. Just coated, whether painted or not. This type wheel is subject to flaking and degradation when exposed to 1. salt-laden air in north in winter, or coast in summer 2. high pressure car wash.

Even the polished rims have to be topcoated to protect the finish, but the polishing improves the ability of the clear topcoat to adhere much better. Here in the north chrome over aluminum seems to hold up better.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Are you sure about that? I thought that road salt stains and eats up chrome. I've never had problem with aluminum rims.
Then you didn't have "Argent Painted" alum wheels at any time in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Nah. Mostly just polished aluminum.
I forgot, those wheels went away the year we brought you home from the hospital, son. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Go for polished aluminum.

I heard from a guy who used to work for a wheel company that chroming an aluminum wheel adds 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. PER WHEEL.

Gotta save that weight!!!:lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Are you sure about that? I thought that road salt stains and eats up chrome. I've never had problem with aluminum rims.
Salt can be very bad for chrome, but it generally shows itself on cheap chrome. GM's factory chrome wheels all seem to hold up amazingly well in the north. Much better than clearcoated brushed aluminum wheels do. The clearcoated brushed aluminum wheels will begin to corrode under the clearcoat after just one or two winters, while the chrome tends to still look good for a number of years. GM apparently just spends the money on chrome to let it last, since I have seen aftermarket chrome rims that are trash after one or two winters too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
solsticeman said:
Go for polished aluminum.

I heard from a guy who used to work for a wheel company that chroming an aluminum wheel adds 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. PER WHEEL.

Gotta save that weight!!!:lol:
Im not all about the weight conservation like that or anything, But that does sound like a lot of chrome weight

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I thought it was pretty clear. Painted silver standard, polished optional, and maybe chrome later. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My experience is that factory polished aluminum holds up find, but anything clearcoated does not. Everything from road salt to tire shine products damages the clear coat layer.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If I were not going to get chrome, I would prefer a painted silver wheel, or powdercoated silver wheel. I have had fabulous luck with both in regards to how well they hold up in salt and bad weather.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts