Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out with the differences in the stock wheels.

I was lucky enough to get in line on a car that someone backed out of. It's loaded, but is White (can't worry about that) and has the base wheels.

Question: Who has photos of the wheels so I can see the differences? Almost everyone ordered the Polished Chrome.

Question 2: Would it make sense to order factory Polished Chrome wheels and wait on them, or simply go with aftermarket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would reccomend going aftermarket for the car if you do not like the standard ones.

Buying the factory polished rims would be ridiculously expensive. My guess would be around 2500.00 from GM parts. I know that you can get cheaper racing rims that look better and will be lighter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just have no idea what the base wheels look like and if they detract from the overall appearance of the car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Did you try the Pontiac website for pics? They must have some there.

Essentially, they are all the same wheel. The base wheel is painted silver, the polished one is shiny aluminum, and the chrome is well, chrome. All look good, it just depends on how much bling you like! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, yeah, i saw them on the Pontiac site. Makes little difference to me, but wanted the opinion of anyone who has seen them up close.

I don't want to pull next to another Sols and look at their wheels and cry!

·
Registered
729 Posts

I prefer the polished wheels!!

Then the painted ones!! (The base wheels you are talking about)

After that, the chrome ones!!

I really don't see anything inferior about the base wheels. Especially not on a white Solstice!!

- bspate -

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Pure Law said:
I don't want to pull next to another Sols and look at their wheels and cry!
Then you want the polished or Chrome, they stand out a little more and sparkle more in the sun.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I think there is a VERY pronounced difference between the painted and polished/chrome... but not a huge difference between polished and chrome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it looks like I'll have to go aftermarket as I had no choice.

My only other option is to get back on the list, and then sell mine next July when the new one arrives.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would take the car with the base wheels. When you see them I think you will be surprised a how good they look. You can always go aftermarket later if you want a different look. There will be more choices coming out. I sure would not pass on the car over the wheels. Hope you get the car.

Steak

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
dealernut said:
I would reccomend going aftermarket for the car if you do not like the standard ones.

Buying the factory polished rims would be ridiculously expensive. My guess would be around 2500.00 from GM parts. I know that you can get cheaper racing rims that look better and will be lighter.
the chrome base wheel is a 695 option .....there is a 1600 for 4 wheels that are GM accessory wheels...different look from the std five spoke

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
All in the eye of the beholder, but GM picked the right rims for the car.

If I went aftermarket, the optimal choice would not vary much from the stock style.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
:agree: I've been looking at aftermarket chrome rims but keep coming back to GM's.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Always stick with the gm stock wheels I heard they perform better than then the after market. The reason there balance is enginered for the weight of the car .They ride a lot better than the after maket wheels

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Pure Law said:
Help me out with the differences in the stock wheels.

I was lucky enough to get in line on a car that someone backed out of. It's loaded, but is White (can't worry about that) and has the base wheels.

Question: Who has photos of the wheels so I can see the differences? Almost everyone ordered the Polished Chrome.

Question 2: Would it make sense to order factory Polished Chrome wheels and wait on them, or simply go with aftermarket?

Thanks.
Make sure you understand the differences between the 3 choices. Polished Chrome is not a choice, choices are 1. stock aluminum. painted silver 2. polished aluminum finish (my choice over painted and they do look almost chrome) and 3. Chrome over aluminum. And not everyone ordered Polished Chrome as you think since chrome was not available to order until late.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts